AAARRGGHHH - broke my "old" Carbonex 20 !!!!

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by maxout, Sep 26, 2012.

1. maxout

maxout Regular Member

:( :( :(

My "dumb-ass" junior also koyak his VT-7 .... sheeessshhhhhhhhh .... JUMPING SMASH my ass ... his follow-through whacked my Cab 20 !!! :mad:

Really heart-breaking game last night .... :(

I "SWEAR" I WILL "NEVER" PLAY DOUBLES AGAIN !!!! :mad: -

" ... " - maybe until after next FULL MOON ... :p

#1 maxout, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. raistian

raistian Regular Member

My condolences :(

I'm also a Carbonex 20 fan and down to my last 3. They see action (doubles too) as I believe the best racquets deserve to die in battlefield.

At least you could still get them (Cab20 orange). Unlike MP99, AT800 etc.

Whenever I find a Yonex racquet that suits me, I now stock up.

3. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I hope so ... I heard the new Cab20SP is "slightly different" ....

BTW, the joker said, now we both can go shopping for a new Victor Bravesword 11 !! I told him I will still beat him up with my "even older" Blacken B8100 ....

Now, my spare weapon is coming into play - Carbonex 8000Ti , also a good performer, phew .... :D

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

How old is your "old" Cab20? ;) By your story in the other thread it didn't sound too old and probably the same as the "new" Cab20SP you are referring to above?

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Never mind, that was actually Cheung's story :p

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

This one is my 3rd Cab20sp - about 10 years old

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Does it have a modern cone code and serial number already? 6 digit+2 letter cone code, then it is probably the same as today's version or did you read of any change lately?

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Same modern cone code, guess I have a good chance to replace with a new one :D

9. raistian

raistian Regular Member

The ressurected Cab20 (orange) feels the same with old Cab20. I'm not talking about Cab20 SP, Cab20 Tour or Cab20 Special (have those and can confirm they're slightly different).

10. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Ah, so what I was told by some kakis (players) were true then ... thanks for confirming.

Anyway, right now, I am using my spare weapon Carbonex 8000Ti ... surprisingly, I like it and feels pretty good in my hand too !!! :D

I have checked the shops here (AJ, S-Power, Sports Direct - they are my regulars) - all of thm only carry Cab20SP 3U G4 .... I am looking for a CAB20 (without the SP) 3U G5 ... still searching, may have to make a special order ....

Until then, it is my Cab 8000 Ti that will be swishing around ....
    :D

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Mine is marked cab20...not cab20SP. I bought 2 of them second hand many full moons ago. I think it was the year 2000 - they were already quite beat up but still going strong now. I was impressed when a bugger took a swipe at it and his Isometric 800 CN collapsed - it was my forehand shot down the middle and he backhanded into my racquet. He also happened to be an ex-international!

BTW, I am down to my last 8.

Interesting about the orange cab20 - something for me to test out.

12. raistian

raistian Regular Member

It's the closest to the original (dark colour - green/ blue/ black?) cab20 of ancient times (my last one broke in the 80's). I searched for decades (and had to compromise with SP, Special & Tour) before finding out that Yonex re-released it (the orange).

I don't know why but Cab20 is weird when it comes to durability. I've seen some survived abuse (heavy clashes etc), yet some others are fragile & breaks easily.

A guy I play with still has the ancient one. Unfortunately he's not selling it :'(

In terms of closeness to the original I'd go like this (all 1st hand experience):

Cab20 > Cab20 (orange colour) > Cab20 SP > Cab20 Special > Cab20 Tour

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Not at all weird, because it is a PURE GRAPHITE racquet, at certain angles, it is as TOUGH as DIAMOND and at another angle, BRITTLE like GLASS .... so just depends on your "luck" and point of impact (BEST IS TO AVOID ANY IMPACT !! :p ) ... my Cab 20 luck ran out 2 days ago ... prior to that, it had survived a few nastier clashes and no problem, just scratches ...

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What cone code is your orange cab 20 then? "Cab20SP" isn't it nothing more than simply the SP distribution code on the shaft like today on all SP rackets? At least that is my assumption unless yours of course actually has a SP cone code :D. I mean the original colourways already had "SP" versions.

But for what it's worth I believe you can still buy a JP code Cab20 and also US

#14 demolidor, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Case in point: this is the SP/Sunrise racket chart: there is no such thing as a "Cab20SP". It is simply a SP code Cab 20 ... , Cab 20 Special though is/was indeed a different racket.

[​IMG]

16. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Perhaps we're talking about the same thing :)

Pictures of the racquets in question. On the first image, bottom up are:
    1. Carbonex 20 (orange) - 2 years old
    2. Carbonex 20 SP - 11 years old
    3. Carbonex 20 SPECIAL - 13 years old

Years = years owned, approximate. Both the SP & Special were last ones in stock (so who knows how long they've been sitting there), found in tiny stalls in Jakarta (Indonesia).

P1000514.jpg P1000515.jpg

I also have a Cab21 SP (dark blue) - my oldest surviving racquet. Good, but not as good as Cab20 in my hand :)

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yep that is regular Cab 20 from SP region. Likewise there is also Cab20CH for China distribution code, also in ori colour. My old original Cab21 were also SP code/Cab21SP from Jakarta :) (as also my Aerotus 80SP :D)

18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I was told that "SP" stands for SOUTH PACIFIC distribution - heard that many times before BUT Yonex never confirms it despite my emails asking them about it ....

19. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Like the PHOENIX, Cab20 has 'resurrected" into my game ... got myself a new CAB20sp (3UG4) yesterday afternoon ... had it stringed to my usual BG66, 21X22, white Karakal Super PU grip etc ...

Played it last night and yup, felt JUST LIKE MY OLD ONE except for the "smell" (smells NEW !!) .... :D but it gives a warm fuzzy feeling as if it has "never left" .... :)

20. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Congratulations maxout. You lost Love and then found it again. Not all are so lucky! :)