UK Satellite Circuit

Discussion in 'UK' started by sunny, Sep 25, 2003.

1. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Hello,

Has anyone from UK played or playing in Satellite Circuit?
    I would like to know what is the standard of play in these tournaments?
    How many men's Singles entries usually in these tournaments?
    Anyone got a calendar for these events?

please let me know

cheers
    sunny

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

see this thread

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6611

I think there was a link to a 2003-2004 calender in there somewhere

The turnout can depend on a number of things
    Where in the country the event is
    What other events it clashes with
    Is there a Plate event for first round losers
    If the organisers limit the entry

Last year's Hull only got 17 entries in the MS because of clashes with other events

This years Cornwall attracted 47 I think. Cornwall has a Plate event.

3. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Neil,

Thanks for your reply. The link you gave me doesn't seem to be working. Could you repost it again please.

Also what type of shuttles do they use in Satellite Circuits? Is it Yonex? Do you know what speed it is?

cheers
    sunny

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

The link is to a thread in the places to play forum called "Challengers in the UK etc"

The make of shuttles varies. i've seen Yonex AS-30, Yehlex Tournament, RSL

5. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Neil is correct, the turnout for the Satellites is varied in both level and volume. The most competitive are usually early in the season. The Hertfordshire was brimming this year. It also depends what your event is. Mens singles and doubles are very popular, mixed is pretty popular, and if you see people playing ladies singles or doubles then your are almost certainly watching the quarter finals, aka the first round! If you are looking to get through a round or two then play the Wessex, Middlesex, or this year the Hampshire as it clashes with an Elite. Plate events are very rare these days so take advantage of them when you see them. If you only play one event this season play the Guernsey, it is a great event with some badminton thrown in.

Lets continue in this thread, leave the dinosaur that was Challengers, etc where it is.

6. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

How would you get in to these kind of events. Do have to qualify or something?

7. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Rohly,

I haven't played in anyone of these (Satellite, Challenger, Elite Formely known as Grand Slam) Circuits before but I think you can play Satellite Circuits if you are a member of BAOFE OnCourt Member or a member of a club. But for Challenger and Elite you need a minimum points. I don't know how much it is. I'm not sure if I'm correct.

Neil and Slanter will be able to guide us on these.

cheers
    sunny

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Yep, you need to be a member of the BAofE and have a number. If you want to enter an event you can get most of the forms from the BAofE website. This year you can even get them before the closing date has passed. Better still is to get a tournament diary from them by sending an A5 SAE to the Events Co-ordinator at the BAofE marked tournament diary. It is free. Then you just call or send a request to the relevant tournament secretary.

As for entries. Each event has the potential to become oversubscribed. The Satellites and the Challengers should take at least 32 entries into each event although that can be discretional. The Elite events only take 24 entries in each event as I recall, this may not be correct. When an event is oversubscribed the secretaries SHOULD then consult the rankings list and exclude the lowest ranked players who applied efore the closing date. In my experience this hardly ever happens, it is more likely to be done on the basis of if you are local to the event, know the secretary, are a good player with a low ranking, are a local/good player who sent their form in late, etc. This is true for any event, even the nationals in the unlikely event that the draw is undersubscribed.

It is highly unlikely that you will not get into a Satellite event even without a ranking, you might even get into a Challenger. Once the points begin to accumulate, which really means you need to reach the semi-finals of the events, your ranking improves to a point where you can access the higher standard events.

Hope this helps.

9. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Has anyone got this month's Badminton Magazine?

The back cover of this Month's Badminton Magazine (September Issue 17) has got an advert for HITECH shoes. Who is that cute woman in the advert? Is she a Model or a professional badminton player? I have got to admit she is really pretty ;)

#9 sunny, Sep 30, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  10. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Anyone playing in any one of the following Satellite tours

Middlesex Open (Nov 21-22)
    Hampshire Open (Nov 29-30)
    Wiltshire Open (Dec 6)
    Berkshire Open (Dec 16-17)
    Cambridgeshire Open (Jan 23-24)
    Leicester Open (Jan 27-28)

I don't have a car, so I hope I can reach all these tours by Train or Bus.

cheers
    sunny

11. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

Sunny

the person in the hi-tec advert is gail emms, she is a professional badminton player for england.

thanks for the help btw.

12. seanrachy

seanrachy Regular Member

Technical Analyst
    Welsh Senior Series

Also dont forget there is now a Welsh Senior Series, which is probably a grade lower than English Satellite tournaments.

Caters for club/county standard players, with 1st round being on a group basis.

There will be around 7 of them throughout Wales - THEY ARE OPEN TO ALL UK BADMINTON PLAYERS, as long you are affiliated to a National Body like the BAoE.

I am organising the 1st event in the series - South Glamorgan Open on 1st November, which is being held in the new National Cycling Velodrome, Newport.

8 courts positioned in the centre area of the cycling track.

£5 per event or 3 events for £12.

So if you are also interested in these events, please check out the WBU website
    www.welshbadminton.net (under events section) or email me for an entry form via
    southglamopen@SGCBA.co.uk

Cheers,
    Sean

PS: A couple of friends went down to the Cornwall Satellite - thoroughly enjoyed it.

13. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

What is the standard like at these satelite and challenger events?