User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 37
  1. #18
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by bigredlemon
    Not enough ram? Slow HDD? Some pages are getting served almost instantly, but others are taking several seconds to minutes.
    it depends. if the source machine is many hops from the server and it is generating enough traffic to saturate some slow links in between, you will have packets getting dropped on the network and as a result, it will trigger the replay mechanism at the TCP level. that may be the cause of the much slower response for some requests.

    that's why i asked you how many machines are generating the traffic and where their locations are. if only one machine, and especially one far from the server itself, the result may not be conclusive and not too realistic a test...

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by kwun
    it depends. if the source machine is many hops from the server and it is generating enough traffic to saturate some slow links in between, you will have packets getting dropped on the network and as a result, it will trigger the replay mechanism at the TCP level. that may be the cause of the much slower response for some requests.

    that's why i asked you how many machines are generating the traffic and where their locations are. if only one machine, and especially one far from the server itself, the result may not be conclusive and not too realistic a test...
    I'm lucky enough to be on a good line. (24 ms ping from Toronto to texas!)

    My machine currently has 4000 active connections so another 10 probably won't kill it. I've tried the test again and the speed started at 30kB/s and ended at 1 mbit/s by the 100th file. Server caching must be working great. Your server can obviously handle 9+ continuous database requests. I tried to use a program that supports 100 connections but it failed... i guess it was confused by php. All in all pretty good!

    btw, how does your site stats look? Is there a spike?

  3. #20
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    don't confuse latency with bandwidth though.

    i looked at the bandwidth usage graph. there is a small spike. most of the traffic you generated are dominated by creation of the TCP connection and the TCP connection handshake doesn't consume a lot of bandwidth and is mostly latency bound.

    the spike created by the 95Meg transfer i did last night was 4x higher, that was only download with just IP traffic so that was able to saturate the bandwidth better. (note the graph was a bandwidth graph, not measure of # of connections nor latency...)

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    but a low latency connect means that a connection is not overloaded. The difference between the fastest ping and the ping during the spidering would be the time it took to serve that page, which indicate the speed of your database. Btw, I meant hits spike. Surely 1000 pageviews within a few minutes will generate some spike?!

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With the new server, would it be possible for you to host a few videos? I'm sure many of us has webspace online, and can spare some bandwidth too. With enough of us, i'm sure we can reach near-badmintoncity levels of video availability.

  6. #23
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by bigredlemon
    With the new server, would it be possible for you to host a few videos? I'm sure many of us has webspace online, and can spare some bandwidth too. With enough of us, i'm sure we can reach near-badmintoncity levels of video availability.
    haven't you read swijaya's post on badmintoncity? i have much less bandwidth than he had....

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    how much extra bandwidth do you have?

    personally, i can spare about 10 gigs right now. If I compress it to divx, that is about 150 video downloads. If there's ten of us sharers, then that's 1500 videos, which should be near badmintoncity's level.

  8. #25
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok. so phase 1 is done!

    i see both badmintoncentral.com and badmintonforum.com successfully migrated. most ppl should be able to get to both website without the numeric web address / url.

    phase 2 has begun. hopefully by the end of the weekend, may be monday if i am too busy with life, we will see the brand new review section. there is still a lot of work.

    the most major one will be BC itself. hopefully within a week or two.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Paradise, Canada
    Posts
    550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up

    Wow!! BC is getting a major facelift! This is some great news!

    Can't wait to see what Kwun has in store for us!

    -Rick

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by kwun
    ok. so phase 1 is done!

    i see both badmintoncentral.com and badmintonforum.com successfully migrated. most ppl should be able to get to both website without the numeric web address / url.

    phase 2 has begun. hopefully by the end of the weekend, may be monday if i am too busy with life, we will see the brand new review section. there is still a lot of work.

    the most major one will be BC itself. hopefully within a week or two.
    kwun, is it possible to delete the double posts in the reviews section, and also some non-relevant ones......such as "XXX IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!"...they just take up space

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by SheldonZhang
    kwun, is it possible to delete the double posts in the reviews section, and also some non-relevant ones......such as "XXX IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!"...they just take up space
    I think we should moderate the review section as well. Saying "XXX is the best" isn't helpful. Saying "XXX is more powerful than these other strings xyz and zyx that i've tried" is more useful.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The worst one is the review section for a particular racket with people saying they have a completley different one, whats the relevance in that ??

  13. #30
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    agree. agree. i will clean up the review section before migrating to the new software. and the new software allows moderation. just perfectly what we need.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In the past 24 hrs, seems I am experiencing some difficulties to access.

    Last night, around 10-12pm (EST), as well as 10am (EST) today, I toally could not load the pages at all. Seems not my internet or browser, since I can access other web sites without any problem.

    Wondering what happened?

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    same here.

    its been happening alot lately

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So, it's not just me.

    Maybe Kwun can contact the provider see what is going on? Too much traffic? Server exchange? Or, actually Kwun was busy doing some "update"?

  17. #34
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,945
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    a couple of evenings ago i did spent around an hour doing an upgrade. was intending to take around 5mins, but boy, it was a nightmare.

    aside from that. i am not aware of any other downtime....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: what was that?!?
    By kwun in forum Badminton Central Announcements
    Replies: 20
    : 09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
  2. ANNOUNCEMENT : new look for BC
    By kwun in forum Badminton Central Announcements
    Replies: 118
    : 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM
  3. yonex.com announcement
    By GRObFURSt in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 5
    : 07-12-2002, 06:58 PM
  4. ANNOUNCEMENT...
    By kwun in forum General Forum
    Replies: 3
    : 02-26-2002, 05:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •