BC / BF update announcement

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Sep 25, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BC / BF will be going through some changes in the next few days.

the first step is migrating to a new server. BC / BF will soon be served from a much faster server with a fatter connection than before.

1. i have just moved BC over to the new server a few minutes ago. it will take a day or two for the server change to get to you. the temporary change you will see is that the peek into the review and forum at the front page will go away. and the review section will no longer be functional (in fact, it is very broken right now, read further for reason)

2. if that's successful, BF will move in the next few days, that will be a more difficult move than BC and it will require brining down the forum for an hour or two. so if you see BF not there, don't panic, we will be back.

after that, i will have a series of software upgrades : the upgrades will go in the following order:

1. a brand new review section (yay...), that will take a day or so. as a result of the new review section, i am not really taking any time fixing up the old one. i will make sure all the relevant old reviews gets migrated though.

2. new BC - that may take more days as i am still in the process of designing it. this will be a challenge but it will be much better than the current BC (not hard. :) )

with all these changes, the end result will be a much better BC/BF experience for all you folks. the content hopefully will be better, and also much better speed and reliability from the servers.. so please bear with me during this transitional period...

cheers.
    - your BF staff, at your service.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

woot... i did indeed live long enough to see the move :p :p :D

cheers 2 u guys for all the hard work

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

hats off to u guys. I have to say BC was quite a site for badminton when i first saw it, i look forward to the update

4. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    i had no problems with the forum as it was! i can't wait to see what it'll be like with any upgrades

as for BC, it really does need a new reviews section! i think i'll enjoy it once it arrives, best of luck and keep up the good work!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Welcome to the new BF server!

if you are reading this, you have made it to the new server. all i did was migrate all the post over. and i think the migration works pretty well.

you will notice that the web address / URL is not www.badmintonforum.com yet. in a day or two, the address will be active in your location. meanwhile, any access to badmintonforum.com will be directed to this numeric address.

besides that, nothing should be new.

you will find that you need to log in with your password again. aside from that. everything should be identical.

if you have any problems, please let me know!

welcome back!

6. bigredlemon

i was wondering why i had to log off!

when was the switch made? The board went offline a few times late last night after 4am-ish but i wasn't logged off until this morning.

7. Sliced Drop

Sliced Drop Regular Member

Not related to the forums, but the reviews on BC are currently farked;

Wrong argument
    Warning: Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 2 in /home/kwun/www/badminton-central/newreviews/review.php on line 130

Warning: Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 2 in /home/kwun/www/badminton-central/newreviews/review.php on line 131

Warning: Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 2 in /home/kwun/www/badminton-central/newreviews/review.php on line 132
    Badminton Central Product Reviews

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the switch was made between around midnight and 1-2am PST.

the new server has new cookies from different IP address. so you should've (must've) been "logged off" after the server switch.

the review section... yeah. i will have the new one up and running within a day or two. so i am not going to spend anytime fixing up the old one. actually, i will make it disappear for the next two days...

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how's the speed? seems faster, no?

10. bigredlemon

Its now near late-2002 speeds.

I can spider your forum to find out the speed for you! yes/no?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting. well, the DB is much much bigger now. but i just did a comparison with the old server with yesterday's db, the speed up is noticable.

you can spider, we have tons of bandwidth now. but what are you hoping to achieve?

i was moving the 95MB compressed db from the old server to my work computer, then from work computer to the new server. the data rate from old server to here is around 650k/s, the data rate from here to the new server was at around 1050k/s (pretty much saturated the 10Mbs card)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Same question here.

I was like, "what the hell happened???" Someone stole my password and changed it? My bad memory messed me up, and I think I tried 10 times to finally get back.

13. bigredlemon

to see how many connections per second your database can handle, as well as the access time for the hard drive. BF isn't serving big files so the max bandwidth isn't as important.

14. bigredlemon

started spidering now... was only able to achieve 3kB/s at first but now it's up to 30kB/s using 10 threads... the speed is slowly increasing. I thought it would start fast and slow down...

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how are you generated the traffic? from a single computer or from a few computers? how about the connection of the computer(s), fast or slow?

and what's the conclusion?

16. bigredlemon

Not enough ram? Slow HDD? Some pages are getting served almost instantly, but others are taking several seconds to minutes.

17. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

speed seems good, i should be able to tell the difference later on as it seems to me that BF runs slower in the peak hours around here

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends. if the source machine is many hops from the server and it is generating enough traffic to saturate some slow links in between, you will have packets getting dropped on the network and as a result, it will trigger the replay mechanism at the TCP level. that may be the cause of the much slower response for some requests.

that's why i asked you how many machines are generating the traffic and where their locations are. if only one machine, and especially one far from the server itself, the result may not be conclusive and not too realistic a test...

19. bigredlemon

I'm lucky enough to be on a good line. (24 ms ping from Toronto to texas!)

My machine currently has 4000 active connections so another 10 probably won't kill it. I've tried the test again and the speed started at 30kB/s and ended at 1 mbit/s by the 100th file. Server caching must be working great. Your server can obviously handle 9+ continuous database requests. I tried to use a program that supports 100 connections but it failed... i guess it was confused by php. All in all pretty good!

btw, how does your site stats look? Is there a spike?

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    don't confuse latency with bandwidth though. ;)

i looked at the bandwidth usage graph. there is a small spike. most of the traffic you generated are dominated by creation of the TCP connection and the TCP connection handshake doesn't consume a lot of bandwidth and is mostly latency bound.

the spike created by the 95Meg transfer i did last night was 4x higher, that was only download with just IP traffic so that was able to saturate the bandwidth better. (note the graph was a bandwidth graph, not measure of # of connections nor latency...)