Help me rate them if you know 'em

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Moravtchik, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Moravtchik

Moravtchik Regular Member

Project Manager
    Hi.
    Got a little carried away ever since returning to play after 15 years.
    My technique is good, I'm coming back to shape. playing 3 times a week for 2.5 hours each.
    carried away meaning - wanting too many rackets. so, if you know these rackets and can rate them for me as for "what they are best suited for" in your opinion - I'd appreciate it.

I play some singles, like to smash buy preffer a balance racket.
    Mostly doubles. when playing mix I'm mostly at the back court and smashing more.

got 4 rackets in mind, I'm pretty sure about one of them, but if you could tell me your opinion about which one I should choose for each type of game...

1. BS12
    2. VT70
    3. N50II
    4. F9

Like I said, I'm pretty sure about VT70 as my singles racket.
    about the rest, I'm not sure. maybe the F9 as a backup for singles and maybe first racket for mixed...

Thanks for replying!
    Leo

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Have you tried the voltric 70? You may find it different but I absolutely hated it, it felt sluggish and not really much power. Also could be because I don't like flexy rackets. Honestly I would recommend you to try the rackets before you buy one because everybody's tastes are different and it's hard to get a good judge on what you might want.

3. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Hi Decoy, thanks for replying.
    I'm currently playing with BS12, pretty much for everything, but I feel like I should use different rackets, since my game is so different in each type (singles, doubles, mix). all the rackets are medium flex and pretty much balanced, the VT is the heaviest. I've used one from a friend, it really helped me wrap up a couple of singles games with power.
    If more people tell me how they use these rackets (any of them, it doesn't have to be all of them), I could concentrate on finding people with those rackets to try them out. I just fear that out of the 4, 2 or even 3 are almost exactly the same...

4. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Hi Decoy, thanks for replying.
    I played with a friends' vt70 and liked it. helped me finish two singles games with some nice offense.
    I already have the BS12, right now my only racket. I'm just sure I need to use different rackets since I play so differently in each type of game (single, double, mix). If I knew how other people use these (or even one of these) rackets, It'll help me understand which of them I'd like to check out, and search people who has them to try them out.
    I fear 2 or even 3 out of these rackets are basically the same...

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Oh ok I didn't realize you liked the voltric 70 in which case ignore what I said, also when you said you think some of them may be the same you're probably right. The difference in your play using any of these rackets would be marginal at best, I'd say save yourself the worry and buy what you've tried. Keep in mind these are all top of the line so there isn't really a wrong choice considering the specs are all basically the same. I hope this helped more than hurt.

6. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    of course you're helping. any reply is helpful, thanks.
    Last two practices I counted smashes. when I play singles, I finish a set (21 points) with around ~15 or more smashes. in mixed, it's about 6~7, and in regular singles I barely smashed 2-3 times. I was so eager using the VT70 a friend gave me to test, that I haven't noticed it's actually not helping my doubles\mixed games.
    At the end, I'd like to make myself a small table saying:
    singles : first racket: VT70 , backup: XXXXXXX
    mixed: first racket: YYYYYY , ZZZZZZ
    doubles...

7. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Go try a Cab20 - you may find it suitable for you in ALL games . Definitely better option than mixing so many racquets each time, you will end up messing up your timing - my 2 cents :)

8. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Hi max, thanks for replying.Cab 20s are super hard to find in Israel. In fact, anything that is not brand new or from last year... pretty much impossible to come by. Just to reference, when I said I'll ask friends if they have or know anyone who has a racket I'd like to test.. I'm asking around 10 people.. badminton is not that popular in Israel.I might have confused the issue with all the xxxx, yyyy mess (engineer) but I hope to narrow the list and the use to just 2, maybe 3 rackets at the end. I just hope to find people that will tell me I don't need to check some of the rackets I listed because they are the same.

9. maxout

maxout Regular Member

The next best option will be BS11

BTW I think you have to change your approach towards badminton from being tool focused to skill/technique focus

It is fun talking and thinking about racquets, shuttles, grips etc BUT ULTIMATELY, badminton is a game of skills and a sport

All the racquets you have mentioned have been used by professionals for both singles and doubles

Too many racquets and switching will harm your game even though it looks cool and great

10. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Got it, and I'll change the main question in this post.

If you had to choose one of these rackets to be your all around racket, which would it be?

11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I am an all round player , rallies more than smash, so even balance or slight head heavy - if I am to choose from the 4 listed - I will go for BS12 followed by VT70

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I just noticed that you already have a BS12 :D

Perhaps you are looking for a good "excuse" to get another new racquet :p

Sorry to disappoint you - you have got a GREAT RACQUET IN THE BAG ....... hahaha ;) :D

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

If you ever get the chance, try the CARBONEX 20 - that is one of the best all rounder racquet ever made and still in production since 1984 As an engineer, you should know and appreciate that when something great has been made, it will stand out :D despite age and tech progress

14. Moravtchik

Project Manager
    Bounce.
    No one else uses any of the rackets I listed and can tell me for which game type he uses it ?

15. sting.kl

sting.kl Regular Member

i agree with maxout. For mainly doubles I would say the BS12 would do quite well. If you've the technique go with the 3U or else the 4U might be better. I don't like the YY VT70 (3U) so much. I guess I'm not that strong and I struggle on defence with it.