Arcsaber Z slash problem

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Footwork_816, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Hello, I i've been using the z slash for some time now as I felt it was a great all around racket that was very fast as well. The problem is, although the z slash gives adequate power, I feel like I could get A LOT more power if it was stiffer. So I bought the taufik z slash but it was only a little bit stiffer...not much. And I know that a stiffer racket will give me more power because when I use my lethal 70 or my friends 8DX I get more power than I do from my z slash...I consider myself to have a strong and explosive swing

Now I'm wondering if I increase the string tension will it have the same effect as making the racket stiffer? However, I don't know if this will be safe because right now I use 23x25 and my grip is just the wood with 1 thin overgrip on top. I'm scared that since I am touching almost nothing but wood that if I increase tension the vibrations will hurt my elbow or shoulder...

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Sounds like a strange way to have a grip!

Anyway, the Z-Slash is a peculiar beast. It needs taming. You need to adjust your timing to get the best out of it. The TH version is not any stiffer, I believe it's just a different paint job.

If you say you are a strong and explosive player, you may be better off with a head heavy racquet. I don't think the tension is the problem. Also, the 8DX is a very forgiving racquet, so even if you mistime is slightly, you still get a half decent shot. So that may be confusing the matter a little.

If you get the opportunity, try one of the Voltrics or Armortec racquets. See how you get along with those.

3. Footwork_816

haha i like having a thin grip; it gives me more control and flexibility and imo more power. Just have to get used to it so it doesn't slip in your hand.

hmm I could; I've never really tried a head heavy racket besides my lethal which does give me a lot of power. I could buy a new racket but I have two Z slashs at the moment and want to use them because I do like them and it would be a big waste of money if I don't...Unless I trade them.

4. Shinyballoon

Shinyballoon Regular Member

z slash sweet spot is really small it's literally 3x3 squares, maybe try lowering the tension so you can find that spot. the stiffness between rackets the same rackets are minimal. They're made exactly the same

5. Footwork_816

I'm pretty sure hitting the sweetspot isn't the problem here. Sure its harder to hit than other rackets but I've been using it for a while and feel like my timing is pretty good. Even if someone is feeding me birds and I try to smash or do backhand clears I feel like the shaft flexes more than it should and as a result I'm losing power

I know I'm not missing the sweet spot often because if I was my strings would wave out like when you get a serious mishit. That doesn't really happen to me so I know I'm not missing the sweet spot

6. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

If you have 2 rackets, it's time to do some experiments! Changing tension and using different strings can alter the feel a lot. It does not make the racket stiffer, but can give you more feedback. Power and control is not only determined by the racket only. What kind of string are you using now?

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well, just to let you know if you ever want to sell you Z-Slash TH let me know. I'm looking for one! ;)

8. Footwork_816

I have BG65 on my yellow one and BG80 on my red one. The BG80 definitely feels better and gives me more power. I guess I'll try ultimax and nanogy 99 next...

Haha sorry man I'm only willing to trade or sell my yellow one. Even if I do switch my main racket to something other than z slash later I'll keep the TH edition bc of how sexy it looks :D

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it's good that you know the kind of swing you have, it took me a while to figure out trying different rackets. the Z slash, in my standards is a pretty flexible(relatively) racket. when i use it, i get a lot of power because my swing speed is slow(relative) and whippy. if you have an explosive swing, then you should opt for a stiffer racket that is a bit head heavy balance. increasing tension would probably give you more control and maybe a tiny bit of stiffness but then you might not be utilizing your explosive swing to the fullest :) if you are able to borrow the 8dx for a longer period of time and if you do in fact see an increase of power and not because of the plecebo effect, then maybe it's worth investing in a stiffer racket.
    having a thinner grip will certainly give you more vibrations. some people like it, some don't. i prefer comfort over feel...to a certain extend, so i keep the original grip on the racket. if you feel that the vibration is bothering you, it's probably not a good idea, just my opinion on that issue.

10. Footwork_816

Haha thanks. yea I feel it is relatively flexible too when compared to other rackets. Well honestly I feel like I could switch my main racket to my Lethal 70, or buy a new racket, but I just don't want to have 2 z slash's sitting in my bag...it'll be such a waste of money. I guess I'll try selling or trading the yellow one; like I said I'm keeping the TH one ;)

I personally prefer feel over comfort up to the point it will start to hurt me (blisters, joint injury, etc.). Yea I don't know how much higher I can go over 25 lbs with how thin my grip is unless I buy towel grips or thicken my grip.

So I guess this is now a thread about buying a new racket because there doesn't seem to be a way I can make my z slash stiffer...8DX is the stiffest arcsaber racket right? I think arc10 is the same stiffness as z slash...not sure