Which of these 4 strings should I try next?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Jernan, Oct 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

I'm in a dilemma, I am gonna string my racket at 28 lbs soon, but not sure whether to choose Yonex bg65ti, bg 66um, nbg99 or victor vs850. I'm a balanced player, I play as much net play as long range, do equal amounts of drops and smashes, and very tactical. I also do not want to restring frequently, once every three weeks acceptable, and I play approx 8 hrs per week (perhaps the thinner strings won't last long enough?). 65ti is most durable I observe so far, but heard that its feeling is not so nice. Wonder will it be a completely different story at 28lbs? If you have other yonex strings to recommend for my playing style do add in as well. Thx.

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I am puzzled that for someone who is going to string at such a HIGH tension of 28 lbs, and playing so many hours per week (obviously you are NOT A BEGINNER) and you still don't know what string you like ?
    :confused:

BUT if you are A BEGINNER then for your wrist, elbow and shoulder sake's DON'T STRING AT THAT TENSION, you will injury yourself ....

Which string ? NONE OF THE ABOVE :p ....

Go for YONEX BG80 ....

3. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I'll second what he said. BG80 to me is an awesome all round string!

4. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Haha I only string apacs stern 10 so far, and I'm looking for a change. I am comfortable at such tensions anyway. Bg 80 seems good... Durability wise will last me how long?

5. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

And overall how does it compare to bg85?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Bg80 for best power. Vs850 for best feel.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You've got to try VS850 at least once. The tension will fall through the floor during the first few hours unless you have it pre-stretched, though.

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Well, if that is an acceptable frequecy of restringing, then you should go FOR THE BEST YONEX strings ... BG66 ULTIMAX .... followed by BG66 and BG80 (most durable of the three).

I recommend BG80 coz I cannot afford to restring so often !! But since, you got no problem, go for BG66U or BG66 then !!

9. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

Thanks for the input bros, I think I shall restring 66um at 29 lbs and perhaps wait for the tension to slightly drop b4 I start using. And maybe vs850 at 30 lbs on my other racket... But that will be another time. My friend strung bg80 today and it feels damn hard for my liking... I like minimal feeling when smashing (like on my ex classmate's zslash, when I smash I only feel the air! I wonder what string he uses!), so it's definitely not my style. Or perhaps it's his racket. Do continue to voice your opinions so that I can choose what to try next, but 66um is on my wanted list now. Thanks.

10. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    I think everyone gotta try BG66UM at least once in their lifetime. Haha.. Bucketlist... I can agree with most that the string really feels great and I do enjoyed it for the initial week or two.. But after the tension dropped, I just felt so wanting to cut it myself rather than waiting for it to snap. Today again when I play, I felt the urge to cut it and so wanting it to snap after each smash... but it didnt. I am looking forward to try BG80.. and maybe NBG98

11. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

@davlee true... Thats another reason why it should be named ultimax.. Cos it's almost like the ultimate string!! Though not in durability Hahas.

12. Tommii

Tommii Regular Member

I really enjoy bg66 um but bg80P is something you should give a try, has somewhat specs of a bg80 but has a medium feel just like the ultimax.

All the strings i mentioned usually wears in string tensions in the matters of seconds so if you're a money spender, go for them. Otherwise, go for 65TI, a bit slippery but you'll be more statisifed with the sound and durability

13. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Try VS650. It is soft like BG66um. VS850 is similar to BG80 in hardness.

14. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I personally prefere nbg95.

15. maxout

maxout Regular Member

davlee,

Cut and move on - your heart is no longer there . When that happens, badminton is no longer fun

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Two personal favourites of mine are BG65Ti and NBG95. NBG95 is more lively, more power but I feel BG65Ti is better in terms of durability and control. I have also tried NBG99, not a bad string but it feels dull, artificial and power is not easy to extract compared to the other two above.

BG65Ti does indeed lose tension quickly so make sure it is pre-stretched before stringing.

I wouldn't consider BG66UM if durability is what you're after.

I haven't tried VS850, but I have it on order... so will get to try it soon.

One thing you haven't said is what racquet it is going on. Sometimes some strings don't perform as well on some racquets.

17. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    Already observed wear and tear on the string... I tend to smash harder nowadays hoping it will snap. Haha... Another few session, I believe I will be hunting for new string! Cant wait for it and yet dilemma which to try... BG80, BG80P, NBG98, Zymax.... sigh

18. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    get the 66U or nano98

19. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I experience the same "string cutting-urge". Try ZM62 - it always snaps when or even before I want to cut it. Problem solved :D

20. Jernan

Jernan Regular Member

@R20190 I'm currently on a racket by flex power- n90 II clone. Though medium flex and slightly head heavy some black magic in it enables for a max stringing tension of 33 lbs. Strung 66um and pretty impressed, really high repulsion and the sound of my smashes are like gunshots.. Fantastic. Well I'll see when the string will break then I will comment whether I'm truly impressed or not:)