User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 20
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Anything Beats Yonex Voltric 5 at Under $110?

    Hey all,

    so I've narrowed down my search for a racquet that is:
    - Weight is 3U
    - Max budget is $110 CAD
    - Either a head-balance or head heavy raccquet
    - Not too stiff
    - For intermediate players (to be honest I'm pretty novice but I'd like a racquet where I will have room to grow).
    - Likes to smash and be more offensive.

    So far the Yonex Voltric 5 seems to be ideal, but I am looking at Black Knight and Li Ning but they are over my budget. Also how do the ArcSabers compare to the Voltric line?
    As a novice player who plays casual and would like to progress further, should I really stick to 20lbs tension or take a gamble and try 21-23 lbs?

    My dream racquet would be a Victor BS10 but yeah not gonna drop the big bucks for the amount of time I play ><;

    Thank you in advance!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pickering
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You might be able to find a used BS10 for not much over your budget, assuming you don't mind a few chips in the racket.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Voltric 5 is considerably head heavy (yonex rackets are in general). Too head heavy for doubles for me personally. I use a nanaospeed 100 this is slightly head heavy.

    Personally from I'd get cheapest racket but from an established you can get that has characteristics you require. spend the rest on feathers, good shoes and coaching. Also buying cheaper rackets you can experiment with which type of racket suits you before lashing out on the high priced endorsed models

    Given the law of diminishing returns the difference between my NS100 (cost 28) and rackets costing 20 is far greater than the difference between mine and the 200 rackets

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Try VOLTRIC 3 - "head lightest" of the Voltric, medium flex ...

    Personally, I prefer Voltric 7 esp the 1st Gen (red) looks GREAT TOO !!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ya I play singles and doubles. I actually own and use 2 dirt cheap no name racquets hence I don't mind spending around $100. Is the VT 5 lighter or heavier than the VT 7?

    I'd rather get a ArcSaber than a NanoSpeed

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunc View Post
    Ya I play singles and doubles. I actually own and use 2 dirt cheap no name racquets hence I don't mind spending around $100. Is the VT 5 lighter or heavier than the VT 7?

    I'd rather get a ArcSaber than a NanoSpeed
    Head Heavy: VT5 > VT7 > VT3 ... VT 7 sits nicely in the middle, good speed and swings without losing the heavy head feel when smashing. Good "all rounder" for Voltric.

    If you want to choose among these 3, my recommendation is for VT 7 as the next step up will be the heavy-duty VT80 and VTZF ... I prefer VT7 over the other two. VT7 is slight head-heavy, medium flex and made out of better graphite than VT5 and VT3 ... it is made for intermediate/advance players. Check out the Yonex website (www.yonex.com) for details or at Paul Stewart's badminton racquet review.

    I am actually trying out VT7 as an optional racquet beyond my favourite Carbonex, so far (almost one month of playing) it has not disappointed me at all. I love the first generation (red colour), looks better than the current SILVER colour 2nd generation.
    Last edited by maxout; 10-01-2012 at 08:37 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Go and try VT7 ... it is a good choice, less streneous than head-heavier VT5.

    A bit of marketing plug for Yonex marketing - "VOLTRIC tri-voltage system/design" takes the BEST FEATURES from Armotec, Arcsaber and Nanospeed .... and minimise the weaknesses of each of them .... hmmmm ... so guess why do you think I choose to move straight on from Carbonex to VOLTRIC bypassing the other series ? Question, do you want to settle with the weakness of the other 3 series when there is VOLTRIC that takes the BEST of ALL 3 ?
    Last edited by maxout; 10-01-2012 at 08:52 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I recently bought a Carbonex 8800 Power. I didn't know it even existed till I saw it in a shop, and I think it is the only (I could be wrong though) entry-level Cab with head-heavy balance. This meets all your requirements too and it was cheaper than the VT 5 or Arc 002.

    I'm not sure how it (Cab 8800) compares with VT 5 in terms of head-heaviness or shaft flex, but my guess is it is less head-heavier than VT 5, while the shaft feels mid-flex. The Cab(s) have oval head so that may be a thing to consider over VT 5, provided you find this racquet in the shop.

    The Arc 002 is a nice racquet too, Yonex specifies this as flex (not mid-flex) shaft, so even though it is even-balance, the shaft could bend easily resulting in more power being delivered.

    As maxout mentioned though, if not Voltric, then Carbonex (minimize weakness of Arc, NS, and AT).

  9. #9
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunc View Post
    Hey all,

    so I've narrowed down my search for a racquet that is:
    - Weight is 3U
    - Max budget is $110 CAD
    - Either a head-balance or head heavy raccquet
    - Not too stiff
    - For intermediate players (to be honest I'm pretty novice but I'd like a racquet where I will have room to grow).
    - Likes to smash and be more offensive.

    So far the Yonex Voltric 5 seems to be ideal, but I am looking at Black Knight and Li Ning but they are over my budget. Also how do the ArcSabers compare to the Voltric line?
    As a novice player who plays casual and would like to progress further, should I really stick to 20lbs tension or take a gamble and try 21-23 lbs?

    My dream racquet would be a Victor BS10 but yeah not gonna drop the big bucks for the amount of time I play ><;

    Thank you in advance!
    Carbonex 8600 titanium, 3u, even balance, medium flex, oval head frame, $43USD.

  10. #10
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayshh View Post
    I recently bought a Carbonex 8800 Power. I didn't know it even existed till I saw it in a shop, and I think it is the only (I could be wrong though) entry-level Cab with head-heavy balance. This meets all your requirements too and it was cheaper than the VT 5 or Arc 002.

    I'm not sure how it (Cab 8800) compares with VT 5 in terms of head-heaviness or shaft flex, but my guess is it is less head-heavier than VT 5, while the shaft feels mid-flex. The Cab(s) have oval head so that may be a thing to consider over VT 5, provided you find this racquet in the shop.

    The Arc 002 is a nice racquet too, Yonex specifies this as flex (not mid-flex) shaft, so even though it is even-balance, the shaft could bend easily resulting in more power being delivered.

    As maxout mentioned though, if not Voltric, then Carbonex (minimize weakness of Arc, NS, and AT).
    i second the Arc002 as well, even balance, flexible shaft, iso head frame, under $80USD. i just strung mine with VS850 @ 24lbs prestretched. awesome, just pure awesomeness.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Orange, California
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, i think so, You might be able to find a used BS10 for not much over your budget, assuming you don't mind a few chips in the racket.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've only ever seen voltric 7 sold as 4u (light) racket which means it wont perform like a head heavy racket.

    I have the voltric 3 and its pretty much as head heavy as it gets (no doubt more head heavy than the 4u voltric 7). My friend likened it to his lining n90. I dont use it for doubles at all, too head heavy

    ps the yonex chart is marketing garbage. Note how yonex cleverly goes on and on about all its so called technologies but fails to give the basic fundamental of a racket ie its balance point.

    I wouldnt go for carbonex rackets as they're old school relics with their oval heads for oldtimers. Isometric is generally considered better especially for beginners also more pros use them. Hence oval shaped heads are rare too see.

  13. #13
    Regular Member ucantseeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany, Northrhine Westfalia
    Posts
    866
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can get a Victor SW35 for 135CAD, if this racket is an option. And a BS10 for 145CAD.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So many mixed responses on the VT 5 & 7. I'll have to go to a store and demo them cuz I need to feel the weight difference between the 2 and see for myself if the VT5 is really as heavy as players say it is. VT5 is 3U while VT7 is 4U...but 4U is less durable right? @_@

    Quote Originally Posted by ucantseeme View Post
    You can get a Victor SW35 for 135CAD, if this racket is an option. And a BS10 for 145CAD.
    Where can I find a BS10 for 145CAD? Would it happen to be Tad's Sporting Goods?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunc View Post
    So many mixed responses on the VT 5 & 7. I'll have to go to a store and demo them cuz I need to feel the weight difference between the 2 and see for myself if the VT5 is really as heavy as players say it is. VT5 is 3U while VT7 is 4U...but 4U is less durable right? @_@
    VT7 (at 4U) swings faster and lighter and also less head-heavy than VT5 (3U), hence, it loses out to VT5 in the "power" /muscle department but makes up for it in speed and "gracefulness" ... VT7 is LESS OF A BRUTE than VT5 ...

    And the BEST is to go and try them out esp do some "mock" smashes ... you will feel the difference there .... just be careful not to damage the racquets while testing, you may end up having to buy them !!!!!

    Durability is not an issue between VT5 and 7 .... unless it is a FAKE YONEX !!

    BTW, I am using a VT7 after doing similar tests and selection processes.
    Last edited by maxout; 10-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another way to look at it is your physique.

    If your small and strong then more head heavy is often favoured.

  17. #17
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,726
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunc View Post
    So many mixed responses on the VT 5 & 7. I'll have to go to a store and demo them cuz I need to feel the weight difference between the 2 and see for myself if the VT5 is really as heavy as players say it is. VT5 is 3U while VT7 is 4U...but 4U is less durable right? @_@


    Where can I find a BS10 for 145CAD? Would it happen to be Tad's Sporting Goods?
    Probably in Germany before shipping and tax . Then again German tax should get deducted ...

    Doesn't really fall into your "not too stiff" requirement does it??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •