BG80 vs BG80p vs VS-850 durability

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bk_ngo, Oct 7, 2012.

1. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    BG80 vs BG80p vs VS-850 durability. I have got strung my racket with VS-850 @28lbs pre-stretch 5% and it got snapped within 2 sessions :(.

Are NBG99 and NBG98 good replacement for the upon strings? I love hitting sound from BG66u, BG80, or VS850.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

99 is not known for durability. And 98 is very slippery especially if hour used to 80 and 850. If you can, get hold of zymax 65. Durable, repulsive, and nice hitting sound.

3. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    Thank you for your advice, I will give it a try.

Definitely, BG80p> BG80 in term of durability however I would like to know BG80 vs VS850? They both give me "metal hammering" feeling :D.

4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Zymaz 65 is a good alternative

5. visor

visor Regular Member

80 would be much more metallic feeling. It is the harshest feeling string around.

Whereas 850 is medium feel but somehow one the most communicative string around. Great for touch shots. Durability... don't know as I never break strings. However as mentioned before, 850 is slightly finicky in that it requires a bit of prestretch in order to mitigate its tendency to lose tension.

#5 visor, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Victor String loose their tension quite fast. Its ok if you change you string regularly

7. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    any string can par with vs850 but does not drop tension so fast like it?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

nbg99 is supposed to be similar, but reviews have been that it loses tension too and the surface texture is not as rough. Control players usually prefer rough texture as it provides better spin/slice and control of direction.

9. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    vs850 cant par with bg80? last time i use one very nice feel string, zm67 but not until one week then string broken a d

10. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Im using the new Zymax 62 and 65 and it is quite durable for me

11. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Same life for me. :D as they end up being cut by me (due to tension loss) rather than broke during a powerful smash:p While they are good strings, none of them excels at holding tension, and VS-850 without pre-stretching is the worst of the bunch (Yup, fastest tension loss for strings I've ever seen).

But seriously, I would expect natural string life BG80=VS850<BG80P.

ZM62 is a fantastic string. Superb sound, repulsion, tension keeping and hard feel. Good durability for its ultra thin gauge. BUT IT DOES NOT TOLERATE MISHIT AT ALL. To me, one mishit and that's it. Gone. BG66 UM is better in this respect.

12. zombie0517

NBG99 is more durable. NBG 98 durability wise is on par with BG80 IMO.

NBG99 has very good texture and feel. Sound is also nice for its gauge. Only two problem are: 1. losing tension. 2. not cheap. Otherwise it's a control players dream. Slice more please :p

NBG98 is decent at tension holding, a bit numb feel but VERY POWERFUL. However if you want that hard feel of BG80, you will be disappointed. NBG98 is medium feeling.

13. khoai

khoai Regular Member

My experience is completely the other way around. None of my BG80P (out of 30 I've used) lasts even 2 weeks while BG80 stays for about a month. Maybe the Power is not made for 28lb+ tension?

14. xczheng

xczheng Regular Member

BG80P definitely has a longer life than BG80, at least with my tension 26lb.

15. loneboy62

loneboy62 Regular Member

I think we have to accept a fact there, there is no string without dropping the tension, but it is depended on how much it dropped. If within 1-2lbs feeling, to me just alright because I can't really feel the difference as it is still quite good for me to hit.

However if it is dropped in 2 games, that is really not make sense, so I guess in term of durability, Yonex NanoG still will win in the game as they are considered quite nice in the market in term of quality. But personally I prefer Zymax62 too, the most amazing string I have ever had, very nice sound and power, but as Mr.Zombie said, I also break it in a miss hit and gone, but I still like that very much. :)

16. bk_ngo

bk_ngo Regular Member

Senior Manager
    Thanks everyone,

Do agree that nbg98 gave me a longer using time, but I still don't like dull and dead string. Should I try nbg99?

My go to strings are bg80 = vs850 > bg66u > bg80p and maybe give zymax62 a try.

- bg80 excellent string, durability is moderate, hitting sound is alright
    - vs850 good feel, not good in term of durability due to lasting only 2 games (maybe I was not lucky)
    - bg66u awesome hitting sound might bring you a feel of bigger sweetspot but no doubt this is an amazing string.

17. zombie0517

"Real" durability depends on your hitting skill too, as I have busted VS-850 and BG80 due to mishits.

Both NBG95/98 share that typical "dull" feeling, however that will improve as you play more with it. This is in contrast with BG66 UM, which performs best when it is fresh. IMO nothing beats the feel of BG66UM when freshly strung , however it does lose tension and feel overtime and becomes "dead".

If you want ultimate hard feel, look no further. BG80 and that's it.
    Compared with BG80, VS-850 has slightly softer feel (still rated a hard string), has better feel and lose tension faster.

BG80P feels dull and the sound is, meh.... not my favourite string but string choice is quite personal. It is a softer string than BG80 and is not a "beef-up" version of BG80 as you may think:(

Give ZM62 a try if you concerned about tension loss. If you are worried about durability you can change to ZM65/67/70. Zymax strings are excellent at tension holding.