Used some old feathers tonight

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Borbor, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Aeroplane, they have got to be at LEAST 15 years old. I stopped playing in 98 ish and when I was playing in highschool my family along with 3 others would buy shuttles in bulk because we played 2-3 times a week.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago when I went back to my parents' to help clean out their place because they're downsizing. Found 3 tubes of this stuff, (this was when aeroplane didn't put different color bands on the cork; just the green band)

I shower-steamed them 3 times a day until Friday, and put them to play today.

Speed was no slower or faster than what I'm used to (I mostly use Aero black or RSL Classics); but they sure as hell lasted a LOT longer.

Played 3 singles matches (7 sets in total, ranging from 38 to 45 points total), and we went thru 2 of my aeroplane and 2 of the other guy's Victor (forgot what model they were). Interesting observation was the feathers didn't snap off on the old aeros. They'd get ruffled, but both birds had all the stems intact. Couldn't say the same about the victors. I don't know if it's the steaming that made the difference, but I steam all the tubes I'm about to put in play (or have already put in play) and even the new stuff would have snappage.

Really surprised at how durable they were.

2. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    In total agreement with you.

Bought some old RSL in a gold tube few years ago and they were older stock which were water damaged. After drying them out, using them were a delight! Each shuttle could last 2 games of smashing easy. The new stock versions were not as durable.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

You're not wrong... they don't make goose feathers like they used to. :p...

The current feathers are now weaker due to hormones and whatnot they put into the geeses' feed in order to speed up their growth and output.