[Seeking opinion] Footwork drills

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by evolutionist, Oct 9, 2012.

1. evolutionist

evolutionist Regular Member

2. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Tried it in my garage a week ago, very tiring. Good luck with it ;)

Think the emphasis on this exercise is speed and lunge form.

Make sure that you dont go over 90 degrees on the lunge, in other words do not allow your knee to go past your ankle. If you do, it means all the recovery power is lost in the lunge and you have to pull yourself back to base with your glutes rather than push with the leading leg.

3. evolutionist

But did you find it effective?

No offense, but tiredness isn't an issue here.

I'm more focused on the effectiveness of the drill.

4. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

That's a bold claim :cool: I'd be suprised if tiredness wasn't an issue, it's an exercise designed to be sustained until exhaustion (you can see the kid slows down alot in the 50 seconds). Muscle fatigue will set in after a couple of minutes if you try to maintain the pace shown in the video.

It certainly will help your speed though, I did some normal shadows after a rest period and they felt easier. (I'm 6"2 so moving with this agility is considerably more difficult for me).

Edit: I moved the circle out to a slightly bigger radius too, because it may be that this isn't large enough for an adult player.

#4 AimUk, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. evolutionist

What I meant was "no pain, no gain."
    Anyway, back to topic.

I'm trying to improve the speed of my footwork (Of course, included that I do the basic footwork correctly)

Then, is this a good drill to try on?

6. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

looks like a good exercise, one i might even be able to fit in my basement. looks like it would be effective with all the physical effort, speed, and shifting directions.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Rasmussen drill solves all! Speed, fitness, recovery, explosiveness, everything-you-could-ever-want-ness! This is my favourite drill :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI

I believe it is likely to be more effective than the one you posted. Having said that, why not do both?! Good idea...

8. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

That is great to combine the two infact (when I said I combined it with footwork I meant that video)- it is probably worth noting that they're very different exercises with different intentions.

The 8 point exercise is high intensity and deep lunging with little recovery period. It will encourage pick up of difficult shots and decent recovery towards them with raw speed.

The rasmussen exercise is more stamina/ endurance based and is more focused on correct footwork. It will encourage consistency rather than raw speed. It has a longer time, he says that your recovery is slow.

Both are essential to your game, because sometimes you do not have the luxury of long recovery periods between shots.