Beginner Racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Lazy516, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Lazy516

Lazy516 New Member

I've been playing badminton for a while now and I know the basics and all of that good stuff. However I have been using low end rackets and figured it was time for a upgrade. I was looking around and saw a Yonex NanoSpeed 100 for $45 and a Yonex Carbonex Star 1 for $45 also. I was wondering which would be a better racket. The Carbonex is medium flex and the NanoSpeed is a flexible one.

If it helps I mainly play doubles, but do play a little singles. I don't go for many smashes and mainly use backhand swings. Any help would be appreciated.

2. nanoray20

nanoray20 Regular Member

Try the nanoray 20 it's head-light good repulsion and i am actually using it now for both double and singles :D

3. Lazy516

Lazy516 New Member

I'm trying to keep it at a rather low budget, however a nanoray 20 isn't out of the question. I'll have to shop around for one.

4. Lazy516

Lazy516 New Member

Also is $55-$60 average for the Nanoray 20, and what string tension do you suggest?

5. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

string tension is all up to personal preference and you're going to have to play around with it until you figure out what works best for you. i'm not sure what your skill level is, but maybe you could start at 22 pounds and work your way around from there

6. nanoray20

nanoray20 Regular Member

should start at 22lb like wat pizza fish said thats the point i started wit and with some bg65 it worked well for me and they are still doing fine on my other racket.If possible play with the factory strings they have decent tension and you can decide to go up or down from there on(nanoray20 stock string tension is about 20lbs). My nanoray20 is being strung with bg65ti at 24lbs atm going to try it out on sunday.

7. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

You could also consider Arcsaber 001 or 002 from Yonex. I compared NS 100 and ARC 002 when I wanted to buy a racquet recently. In my hands the Arc 002 felt better. Ultimately though I settled for Cab 8800 Pwr. So Cab 8000 Ti could also be in your list.

8. Lazy516

Lazy516 New Member

Okay I'll look into those as well. I'm just trying to find what one would be better for my playing style. I figured something that would do well up close, and as I have said works well with backhand shots.

9. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

The quality of your backhand shots isn't dependent on your racket, but on your technique, so you shouldn't worry about that as a factor.

What racket are you using now? NS100, NR20, and the other rackets mentioned so far are also low-end, so the increase in performance might not be as worth as much as you'd pay for them. Maybe you should consider saving up a bit for a racket that will be more worth it? My opinion.

10. nanoray20

nanoray20 Regular Member

low-end rackets are great for learning maybe he should just save up for some coaching instead, becasue if you have a good racket but not the right skills then theres no point buying an expensive racket :D

11. Lazy516

Lazy516 New Member

How about a Black Knight Impulse 739? Also where does a rigidity index of 80 fall into on the flex - stiff scale?

12. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    try yonex vt 3

13. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

True, but he said he already had a low-end racket so why buy another low-end one? :p

Good idea to get some coaching, if you're looking to really improve.