Stringing Machines

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by timeless, Sep 28, 2003.

1. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I've been thinking of purchasing my own stringing machine. Does anyone know how much I should expect to spend (in Canadian $) on decent current machines? I don't intend to string racquets professionally for a living. Mainly just for myself and the wife. However, I do want something that will last me a long time, and that will do a quality job. I've been doing a little browsing on the net and prices seem to range from as little as $90US and up. I've read various threads regarding machines and people throw a lot of jargon around like how many points, weights, and this and that. I'm not exactly sure what some of the terms mean so I'm just curious to know how much a decent machine should set me back. The machine doesn't have to have all the latest gizmos so that stringing is completely effortless, as I imagine those probably cost an arm and an leg, however I don't want something from the stone ages either. And if anyone can just name the features that are most important to look for, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Timeless, see the following thread
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3104

I would say it would depend on how high a tension you would like to string at plus whether you will also be looking at stringing other non-badminton racquets.

For the cheapo machine (2 pt, drop weight, flying clamps), you are looking at US$100 and you probably do not want to string above 24/15lbs.

I would say that a nice machine would set you back between US$350 to $550 depending on the type of model you want (6pt, fixed clamps, crank, standing or tabletop, etc) plus shipping.

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Thanks WWC :). That was a good thread to read on what features to look for. I don't think I'll ever string any type of racquet besides badminton racquets. And as for the tension, probably never more than 25/26lbs. So you think I should look to spend about $350-$550US? That's about $525-$825 Canadian plus shipping and duty :eek:. I tried to find Canadian vendors/retailers for stringing machines but couldn't find any, are there any?

#3 timeless, Sep 29, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Stringing Machines

I agree. 2 pt machine seems a little bit too aggressive if u go beyond 25lbs.

Personally, I am using Klipper M140 (including shipping within US = USD$160 around). I know at least 4 ppl (including myself) using this machine, and all of us are satisfied with the performance. I am not sure what's the max the other 3 person ever go up to, but I never tried anything more than 25lb. Usually, my combo (for myself and others) are around 20*22, 21*23, 22*24 and 23*25.

If ur limit is also below 25, and ur rackets are in relatively good condition, then, I won't see any problem with it.