ZHANG NING BEAT CAMILLA MARTIN

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by May, Apr 5, 2001.

1. May

May Guest

She lost 1-11, 11-8, 11-7

2. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

I would say that the Chinese team has got a mean to beat Camilla since three different players have beaten Camilla in recent 4-5 tournaments. I guess once your game has been studied, you will have less chance to keep winning although you play well.

3. May

May Guest

Perhaps.

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Its amazing how far ahead Camilla Martin is ahead of 2nd placed Zhou Mi in the world rankings. Well here comes Zhou Mi......

5. May

May Guest

Martin played in more tournaments ryt?????

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    As I said in another thread... this must have been another classic case of Camilla breaking down on court... I mean, she won the first set 11-1! And then... God knows what happened. She's doing this again and again... it looks like an easy win and then she just loses everything.

7. Marcel

Marcel Guest

Maybe she's to confident and little errors sneak in. I've that also: when I easily win the first set I get to confident and I begin to make silly mistakes and before you know you're behind and lose the set, or even worse the whole game.........:(

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    No, I think it's more the opposite. She has NO confidence.

9. Marcel

Marcel Guest

NO confidence? She's winning the first set with 11-1....... How much confidence do you want? (alright 11-0 would be better ;))

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, her psyche is known to be her weak spot. She gets spooked by those Chinese players...

11. Marcel

Marcel Guest

after winning the first with 11-1, you have a psyche that should be reaching heaven! ;)

All of a sudden she gets spooked?? Why??

12. modious

modious Regular Member

She's just inconsistent...

I'm suprised that she's still holding to the top spot in the women rankings.....
    But I did notice that she takes part in much more competition than others.
    This enables her to rake up somemore points than the rest of her female counterparts.
    And yes, she has some psycological problems.
    I can't believe that she can lose after winning the first set by 11-1......
    Oh well......

13. Marcel

Marcel Guest

Re: She's just inconsistent...

Its a reminder to practice more! ;)

14. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I remember that Tri Kusharyanto and Minarti Timur beat Zhang Jun and Gao Ling 15-1 in the first set of the Olympic XD finals as well... in the second set, Tri and Minarti were leading 13-11 at one point. Then, Zhang and Gao started attacking really hard and fast (according to Mr. Kusharyanto in a JKT Post report) and the Indonesians just got a shock and didn't know how to react. So I suppose it could have happened the same way to Martin. You take the first game easily and you think that all your strategies are gonna work in the next. Then, something happens along the way, you realise it's not gonna be as easy as you wished, you get all confused and screw up everything.

This is just a personal take based on the Olympic XD finals... I didn't watch the game (no telecast) so I'm really not in the position to comment.

15. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    My theory, based on your Kusharyanto/Timur example: Martin plays in a lot of European tournaments where the level of competition is not as high as in Asia. She becomes accustomed to winning early, playing her aggressive game and dominating her opponents. Then when she has a match against a player who returns shots that are winners against other Europeans, a player who moves her around the court and tires her out, and who has excellent court coverage and better stamina, the shock is too great for Camilla Martin and she falls apart because she doesn't meet her own expectations.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: She's just inconsistent...

losing to a opponent after winning a dramatic first set so many times, *I* would have developed psychological problems too.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but surely she must have learned after all these losses.

unfortunately, i can't give too accurate an analysis without watching the match.

another couple of theories would be.

1) she went all out during the 1st games, tires out on the 2nd and 3rd.

2) she is an early starter, plays well on the first game, on the second game, her opponent starts to wake up, she starts losing and gets impatient. then lost on the psychological front.

3) repeatedly losing in this pattern created a psychological barrier. she keeps on thinking she'd lose the last two games, and thus so.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    CM's coach should be blamed too. It's his/her job to give advice and fix CM mental or physical weakness on and off court. CM had been a professional player for a long time and she really hasn't change much. It is a easy read for the chinese team.

19. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Cooler, I agree with you. A coaches job is not just to focus on the athlete's strengths, but work on eliminating the weaknesses also.

20. Brett

Brett Regular Member

correction

that last message should read "coach's," not coaches.

Sometimes I hate these damn computers - they facilitate sloppy writing.