User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Place and People to Play with in Daejeon, Korea

I am a Chinese Canadian working in Korea as an expat. I am a intermediate level badminton player. I am currently living in Daejeon (Yongsan Dong, Yuseong Gu) near Daeduk TechnoValley. Does anyone know if there is a badminton club or group I can join near or around this area?

You can contact me through this thread.

Thank you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you're looking for the clubs on this list. #13 is actually called the Daeduk TechnoValley Club and they play in the mornings in Yongsan Elementary School, where there are 3 courts. #9 plays in the evening at the indoor gym at Geumshil Country Club. Apparently there is a 2500won admission fee to the gym and anyone can play. #6 plays afternoon and evenings at the Gujeuk Public Gymnasium in Songgang-dong, which is slightly northwest of the Technovalley and has a 1500won admission fee. There's one more in Songgang-dong, #3 on the list, but I can't find it on a map.

There are also some gyms east across the river in the Shintanjin area but none at the gym where the KGC pro team trains. I used to play in Daejeon but that was far to the south of you and it was long ago, before the Techno Valley was finished, actually. Good luck finding a place and let me know if you need more detail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the info. Actually, I just moved to Korea 3 months ago. The biggest hurdle I have living in Korea is the language barrier. From my experience so far, there is a very limited number of Koreans in Daejeon that can speak English and I don't understand any Korean. Would you have any advice in how to contact someone that can speak in English? Some co-workers and myself tried to go to the Geumshil just to play on our own. But they said the courts are now closed down(?).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I can't really help you with the language barrier from here.
    I'd say keep looking for clubs. If you can find a Korean colleague who can look at the list and find other places near you, you can keep checking out other gyms until you find one you can get court time at. If you really want to keep playing consistently, find a club that plays in a school and join it. If you are committed club members, someone will make sure they phone up the one member with the best English and get them to come and meet you. I'm not guaranteeing that, of course, but that type of thing does happen.

If you want to just go and play occasionally and maybe just with friends, then try the Gujeuk gym. It should be marked with an A on this map. There, you can pay an admission fee and play without joining a club, although joining a club is still the best way to be accepted and have people help you get into a game. If you go alone, find someone you think might be your level and approach them saying 'nanta (hashilleyo?)' That means 'would you like to rally around to warm up?' If they think you're worth playing with, they should suggest a game. Good luck.
    Last edited by event; 09-04-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I will give your suggestions a try. BTW, where are you from? You sound very Familiae with Daejeon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true. I used to live in Daejeon years ago, but I only played in two gyms there, both way down in the vicinity of the Western Bus Terminal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone still paying attention to this thread? I just moved to Jeonmin-dong in Daejeon and am also looking for a club to join. Intermediate - High level here. OP, do you have any news to report back about your luck finding a good place to play?