User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you prefer Isometric or Oval?

Voters
1442. You may not vote on this poll
  • Isometric

1,068 74.06%
  • Oval

374 25.94%
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually it's easier to smash with an ISO racquet than an oval one since ISOmetrics have larger sweetspot. However, control is much more certain with oval ones since you can actually feel an awkward hit and the following result after the hit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no preference for one over the other-Iso or oval. The Iso has a larger hitting area than the oval, this much is obvious. But whether it has a larger sweet spot, I am not sure. All things being equal and if both have their sweet spot optimized, an Iso will have a larger sweet spot. But a lot of racquets come with less than optimal sweet spot, Iso and oval. You can change a racquet's sweet spot easily, although it requires a few hours of testing different configurations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk
    I started using Yonex ISO but have now moved onto using CAB20MS and Carlton Rasmussen Superlite.

I like the feel of the Oval head more - i feel like it gives me more power (I do appreciate that this could all be in my mind though!!)
    I feel the same way. I know that an Iso provides a larger sweet spot, but I can't seem to find it. Story of my life. I love my oval rackets. The bird seems to explode off the racket face better. My smashes and clears are effortless. Net game is better also. My defence is improved with the Iso, but it's also a lighter racket which makes reaction times quicker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone please lay out the pros and cons of the Iso (as in Yonex Isometrics? Gee, I thought that was on the heavy side..) and the Oval clearly for us newbies? I'm confused!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oval=concentrated power???

Do you guys believe that Oval creats more CONCENTRATED power while hit at the sweet spot, while compare with ISO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vincenterika
    Do you guys believe that Oval creats more CONCENTRATED power while hit at the sweet spot, while compare with ISO?
    For me I think yes, I always felt I had a more powerfull smash with an oval.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx for your quick reply Dill, I also believe that but don't know why, just feeling.

"Oval creats more CONCENTRATED power while hit at the sweet spot, while compare with ISO"

And ISO provides more forgivess when make off-centre hits

So there are both advantages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx for your quick reply Dill, I also believe that but don't know why, just feeling.

"Oval creats more CONCENTRATED power while hit at the sweet spot, while compare with ISO"

And ISO provides more forgivess when make off-centre hits

So there are both advantages
    For me the iso rackets starting with the first one I used (the swing power ti) are very noticably forgiving of miss-hits more so than an oval head would ever be, the more square like head would obviously increase the sweet spot giving more effective area than on the smaller sweet spotted oval, I think that is why it is better for many users.

For me the ovals give more power if you use them properly, ie. the sweet spot is smaller so you have to time your shots better and this is how you take advantage of the oval headed rackets and their smaller sweet spot.

The one thing is I don't know how much bigger the sweet spot is on an iso versus an oval, can anyone let us know what the difference is percentage wise?

Once we can establish this it might give some sway to the argument eitherway or wether it is purely psychological.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default sweet spot percentage

as to what yonex claimed its 32% more sweet spot

i use an oval racquet, but im saving to buy an iso mp series.. maybe around next month., ill inform you about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me..im using cab20ms.. was a ti-10 user though.. iso also do give very accurate and powerful shiots.. so its up to your own perference on which do u prefer, i think that oval is a harder shape to use though.. as soemtimes u have to hit e sweetspot, but it helps me make more acuurate shots in where i want to place them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh.....I can't decide....hahaha

I like to clear and serve with my CAB30MS more than I do with my AT800DE (same strings same tension), but I like to smash and drive with my AT800DE.......Impartial to net drops.......

If only people could switch rackets in the middle of a point......hahaha, sound so stupid though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yonexfanatic
    ISO for me. Starting off I used to use the ovals, but once i switched to the ISO, couldn't go back

Same here ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...=cab+explosion

You can feel the shuttle better with an oval head and it creates more explosion than iso. However its less forgiving due to the small surface of contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i like ISO's but thats just cause my racquet is an ISO but im going 2 acquire a oval head and well there great to but the only difference is the sweetspot really i mean ive switched from ISO's to oval with no problems that couldent be fixed in like 10min. oh well thats just my opinion everybodys different after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started playing badminton about 12 years with Kawasaki racket. Then I slowly my level of play and started to use Yonex Carbonex 9 , then Prince Whip Lite 800. Then I started to use Yonex Isometric 250 Long 6 yeras ago. I found that I can hit better with Isometric using the larger sweet spot. Then I continued with Yonex Isometric Swing Power SS, crazy enough to buy througn the series of SX, then SA then SR and got stuck with Yonex Isometric Ti Swing Power SX (owning 2 pieces, 1 blue and the other orange-red). Then I also owned MP100

I recently used Yonex Carbonex 25 ( a gift to my wife in the earlier year of my badminton playing) and found that I can manage to smash and play high clear as well. May be over the years, I have managed to hit better using the swet spot at the correct point.

Nowaday, Whenever I play Moday and Friday, I play using Iso 250, IsoTi Swing Power (Orange/Red). On Wednesday game, I play using Iso Swing Power SX, Iso Ti Swing Power and may be Carbonex 25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 isometric (RSL 4900 2x)
    2 oval (RSL 3220, Mizuno GP-8)

This will likely change when I get a Carlton (AS-1 or a 900)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

started out with Oval (CAB 15 & 21), and I was a happy dude. But I have been using a MP99 for a few months now, and i just cant seem to go back to the oval heads since then, but i know deep in my heart that I love the CABs, thats why i cant wait to get my hands on a CAB30ms, just to see if i can leave the MP99 for it.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast