Opinions please

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by rsexxyy, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    I'm a beginner who just bought my own racket 3 days ago. Its an Apacs Raptor Mk 1 SG..strung to 25lbs using Yonex BG66UM on a manual feed/machine pulled stringer. The Mk 1 is a 4UG2 balanced rated i think. Here are the problems/experience i faced..1) forearm clear, i need to use some effort to reach the back court2) backhand clear, i can only get to mid court at best..most of the time i presented the opponent with a net kill3) i'm having sores on my shoulder n forearm now4) i loved drop shots from back court n net play..at this combo..not much problem5) couldn't get enough power on my smash even when hitting the sweet spot..when i didn't, i can hear the "ting" sound and the shuttle limp over the netI had my racket restrung today at 23lbs using the same gb66um. Will this help or do i need to further soften the string bed? I've not tested it yet though..your opinions are much appreciated..thank you!!

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Are you playing with feathers or plastic shuttles?

Aside from technique...a 4U racket may the be a problem in why your not getting enough power to do clears, lifts, and smashes. Might be better if you use a 3U racket instead. The added weight will help generate more power in these areas.

3. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    Im playing with feathers..hmmm..a 3U racket could possibly solve the problem. I know that im new and with poor techniques..but with sore arm and shoulder even with proper warming up point to a tension too high for me?

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    The tension of 23lbs-25lbs sound about right for a beginner playing with feathers. You can try reducing it if you want.

The soreness in your arms and shoulders could be because you are not used to using the muscles in that manner. Also could be due to adjusting to new racket. How often do you play?

5. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Soreness is caused by improper technique. Going to a 3U w/o an improvement in technique probably would make it worse.

6. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    I picked up badminton a couple of weeks ago..so far my shoulder does not ache as i used a racket considerably softer string bed. I played about 3 times a week lasting at least 1hr each non stop playing. But since i used my own racket with a stiffer string bed, my shuttle speed drop n my muscle sores with a tingling discomfort in the elbow.I've read somewhere that it could be caused to me not used to a stiff string n not having the right technique to play with such.Hopefully with restringing to a lower lbs..i can enjoy badminton as how it shd be.I'll update in the coming week to see how it goes. Thanks all for the opinion n advise..

7. maxout

maxout Regular Member

If you are a BEGINNER, seriously, IMHO, 23-25lbs is WAY TOO HIGH !!!

The kids I train started out at 18-19 and now after 1 year are 19-20 ... I shifted them to 22-23, all complained of sore arms and wrists until I restring downwards again ....

So I recommend, go for 19-20 lbs and use a SOFT FEELING string like BG65 or medium feeling like BG66 ... avoid powerhouse like BG80 (hard feeling) , BG66Ulitmax etc ... when you are ready you can upgrade to them ;)

BUILD YOURSELF UP with the game and restring later (increase by 1-2 lb at a time) every 6 months. Walk first, don't jump, no need to be macho and injure yourself.

I have played for 30+ years and I am only using 22-23 lbs and can still do full court clears easily and my smash still stings for my age !! :D

8. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    Thats the problem..its not my ego of wanting a stiff string..its just that of poor judgement in my part as a beginner. I knew that i prefer softer string bed but i didnt know where to start..Its a good learning process for me..even though an unneccesary one. So a bg66 has a softer feel string than bg66um? The reason i chose um over standard is because of its advertised great repulsion(lesser effort to clear)If this 23lbs um still dun work out..i'll switch to bg66 at 20lbs. What do you think?

9. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    Cause its not cheap restringing you know..lol

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

But cheaper than going to see a doctor !!! :p

Go for BG65 (soft) or BG66 (medium) at 19-20 lbs will be my suggestion ... play with them for next 6 months or so ... then reevaluate. BG66U is a GREAT STRING but it loses performance in a matter of days/weeks and it is more expensive, so not really worth it unless you are a very serious club/professional (or rich) player.

Myself, currently I use BG66 at 22x23 lbs:)

My alternate string is BG80 (hard) at 22X23 lbs as well ... that is a great string but not for beginners, it can "hurt" if you are strong enough ...

12. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    Ok..bg65 or 66 will be nxt in line for further testing till i get the combo that suits me. I have to rest my shoulder for nw before playing again

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Please note that in Asia, there is a kind of "machoism" in using HIGH TENSION without realising that the increase is NOT LINEAR - it is a bit exponential .... so going up from 20 to 23 lbs may look a little, but they are planets apart in terms of play and feel differently and the required physical strength to get the best out of them !!

Furthermore, when you ask shop stringers in Asia, they will always start at 22-24 lbs and when I ask why, they said, everyone use that .... stupid answer without refering to age, level of player, physical build .... these factors make a difference.

I have experimented with a lot of different tensions and strings .... and in many cases, I do agree with what was posted by Paul Stewart www.badminton-coach.co.uk . He makes good sense in many of his posts.

14. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    If this post helps in identifying a suitable string type or string bed.. :I liked the control i got using bg66um 25lbs during net plays and drop shots from back court..

15. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    Maxout..true. That is what i experienced when i string my racket. He just asked what is my previous poundage..i said not too sure but i recalled using a friend's 26lbs and i said i don't like it. And he said ok..25lbs for u. Now ouch...!! Lol

16. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Finding the right string and tension is quite fun (and expensive :crying:) adventure :D!! It is pretty personal to the individual, what you may like and works for you, may suck big time for others .... that is why I always smile when people commented why I use "kiddy's" (in their opinion) tension while they use BIG BOYS 28 - 30 lbs ... or I use Cab20sp (old timer racquet) and they use VTZF etc ... then we play .... hahhahahaa ..... :D Young guns got no staying power to play rallies .... :p ... too impatient !!

17. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    True..

Now I'm watching the video clips you send thru the links. Nice vids..

I don't care if the light poundage is "sissy" as long as I don't require much effort playing.

What you said about high tension tiring out the young guns is true..I managed to stay in the game against a very very physically fit guy for 4 sets max..after that I faded..leaving everything to hope. :p

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    spending more money usually do not solve your problem.

spending more time and effect to learn the proper technique is the ultimate solution.

19. rsexxyy

rsexxyy New Member

Firefighter
    yes..I'm on it. Watching vids to later practicing the basics like grips, strokes, movements..

Noob question here: the basic V grip looks similar to panhandle except for the angle of the racket. Am i correct?

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon