Badminton in Singapore

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Gozali, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Gozali

Gozali New Member

What do you guys think/ feel when u trying to join other groups

Hi All,

Im new in this forum and just come to Singapore, so im not really familiar with the systems/ how to play with others players in Singapore context
    I consider my self as High Intermediate/ Advanced player that had been training and had won some tournaments. I have my own regular group , but I think 1 week 2 times is not enough , so i decide to go to find other group

First please dont misunderstanding the way i created this thread , i just want to know how the things going in Singapore

Me and my friend find something quite interesting that sometimes it happen not only once but several times
    My friend , I can consider him as intermediate, he told me to go this group , that group
    which we selected that its suitable for our level since they indicate the level

the most case happen with group that have 3 or more courts
    It seems like they like to play among themself, and sometimes they throw away weak player at other side and let us play with them almost all the time . Sometimes when they play with weak player , they like to be partner with strong player and put weak players partner with us/me (seems like they want to bully the players)
    And what i found its very ridiculous that the players(strong player) make an excuse by saying Im INJURED and i need him (strong player) to cover me , for me is a silly reason coz i can judge whether someone got injured or not.
    Always stay on court is always happen, and not being consider about others

Some people say we need to be THICK SKIN but what i cant understand is, WHY they open to PUBLIC if they like to play among themself all the time , and what is the purpose to post their session when they cant accept new players to play with them

Any ideas or experience that u had been through before ?
    would u like to sharing and give some ideas that maybe help for others coz i found most of the time a lot of groups shrinking

THX

2. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

Where do u play for your advance group? Not many advance group in singapore.

3. bjork

bjork Regular Member

It happens in Malaysia as well. I regularly visited open groups all around KL and its frustrating, sometimes I felt cheated.

In my own group, we play a league session to ensure everybody plays with each other. Visitors will be fairly distributed according to strength(we always put advanced player with average player as a pair). So with 10 person, everybody is sure of getting 4 games/pair(5 pair, total 10 games), 12 person, everybody is sure of getting 5 games/pair(6 pair, total 15 games) After the league session, its open for those who still has the energy to play. We also keep track of everybody's performance and results. For the next session we will rotate the players. Its a blast, everybody play hard to see their name to be on top of the performance and points chart. With the help of customized spreadsheet solutions, results are out as soon as I key in the game scores. At the end of the month, we will have finals based on results collected. Winners come home with some money(very little ... just to appreciate the effort).

This performance based results also easily identifies player levels after a few sessions.

I wish I could expand this to a bigger court because sadly we are playing with one court only due to cost. I think our method is the best and the most fair system available. Maybe one day I will share it with everybody.

4. Gozali

Gozali New Member

Well, if I play with my friend then we go to group that indicate the level for intermediate/ advanced
    We cant tell the BRAND name

5. apachesun

apachesun Regular Member

Student
    Well , Bro Gozali i have seen this kind of situation happen which i think worse than what u told us
    is you play with youngster or strong player they probably dont want to play with u unless u are in the same level as theirs

Well this group has 2 courts , and last time i seen 1 court is still on playing , while the court 2 is available , so 2 strong players come to warm up a bit and suddenly weak player come in , and at the same time other court is available while other players finish their game, and suddenly the strong players move to that court and left the weak players alone
    Damn , that its so annoying

For me probably they want u / or other players to join probably just want to cover their expenses
    You should join teams that probably is very welcoming people
    just advice

6. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

i would suggest to join the group your level.

It is very hard to judge ownself level unless you join the group then you can tell whether u fit in. As long as the players find you same as their level, they will sure welcome to play with you.

I am sure neither you would play with those too good nor too weak for you right.

We all want to enjoy badminton.