Stock Insole on top of Orthotics?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Phouma, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Phouma

Phouma Regular Member

Student
    Just wondering, is there anyone who puts the stock insole over their orthotics? Would doing this negate the correction of the orthotics?

I find the orthotics alone don't have sufficient cushioning. Wearing the stock insole over feels more comfortable, but slightly bulky in the arc area.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep I do this on my custom orthotics .. but I find it too thick. So I took apart an old orthotics and used only the plastic part under the stock insoles.

3. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    If you place an extra insole over the orthotics, the customed curves on the orthotics would get nullified to an extent and will cause the pain again.

I do the same. But I reverse them. First the cusioned insole is to be inserted and then the orthotics above it, so that it is directly in contact with the feet for maximum benefit.

What I do is:

1) Remove the yonex original insole from the shoes
    2) insert silicon insole (which is a bit heavier than regular insole but more cushioned)
    3) insert customed orthotic insole over it

The combo is a bit heavier than regular shoes but I can play painfree and also protects my joints. I wish to keep playing badminton even when I am 70 year old :)

4. phili

phili Regular Member

Out of curiosity do you guys wear orthotics because you would have unbearable pain otherwise or because you want to play completely pain free?

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I had shin splints since 10 years. I used to jump with pain if anybody touched by shin accidentally. While playing my first game of doubles daily, I used to get very tired just after 5 points and eagerly waited for the game to get over so that I could sit. And the 10 year pain was reduced by 90% in just first 2 days of the use of customized insoles. My game has improved by quite an extent as I can now stand pain free!

Customized insoles can make a hell lot of difference to many like me.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I use orthotics because of flat feet... without them I'd have feet pain within 10 min of playing.

Another good alternative that is much cheaper is to get the Spenco Total Support orthotics, Max if you're heavy or very flat feet, or Original if your feet aren't too flat and you're lighter.

7. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

I put orthotics over the factory insoles (only because I couldn't remove them... :p) but yes, putting stock insoles over custom orthotics would reduce their effectiveness to a certain degree. However, stock insoles are so flimsy, I really think the effect is negligible. so if you're doing it just so you still have the same 'feeling,' as long as it works, why not...

freakyGameR likes this.
  8. Phouma

Phouma Regular Member

Student
    I wear them cause I have flat feet as well..

I tried the stock insole over the orthotic tonight and that was a no go. Although it had ample cushion, there was just too much support at the arch and the buldge there made it painful on the arch. Lasted 1 game before I had to take them out.

Going to some of the other suggestions above. Thanks guys.

9. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

I put orthotics over the factory insoles (only because I couldn't remove them... :p) but yes, putting stock insoles over custom orthotics would reduce their effectiveness to a certain degree. However, stock insoles are so flimsy, I really think the effect is negligible. so if you're doing it just so you still have the same 'feeling,' as long as it works, why not...

10. petersprinter

petersprinter New Member

Is it important to have orthotics for badminton?