Arcsaber Z-slash vs AT900P

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by qtchen, Oct 24, 2012.

1. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

Arcsaber Z-slash

hey guys, new to forum.

I am switching out of mp99 and thinking between zslash or at900p. i've used both rackets and feel great, i personally lean towards zslash. i was wondering since zslash has a more aerodynamic frame (smaller) would mishits damage the frame? also im thinking 23pounds for zslash (maybe too loose?) just for safety measures. What do you guys think about the zslash? (the pro and cons)

2. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

are there other rackets closely related to the zslash that is probably better? I know many say each racket is different for another person, but just gathering some thoughts. i will be demo'ing rackets before buying. i love smashing but my footwork and speed excels and is my most notable mentioning

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Z slash is an unique racket due to its frame profile which is Semi-Iso, more towards oval though. Once you get used to Z slash, you would require some time to adjust to normal iso racket and vice versa. It is mainly due to difference in frame profile and speed. Z slash is a fast racket and it is powerful too. I have owned and played with Z slash before, i also had several other rackets which are normal iso. The problem i encountered when switching between those rackets have been mentioned above. Therefore, i sold off the Z slash since the advantages it gave simply do not offset the cost i incurred.

On the other hand, a friend of mine really fell in love with Z slash. He then bought 4 Z slash which consist of two pieces of 2U and 3U and sold off his other rackets to just concentrate with Z slash.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i've used both and i felt that the zslash is a bit more flexible than the 900p. swing weight wise, the 900p is a bit heavier than the zslash. since you're switching from mp99, with an even balance racket, you won't need to adjust a whole lot going to the zslash. you might need more time switching over to the 900p. both very solid racket.

if you mishit often enough, it will damage any kind of frame. 23lbs would be considered on the low side of tension tho still very playable. but tension is relatively personal. i've only recently bumped up to 24 from 22 while my friends are playing at 25-26 for a while. it all depends on the way you play.

i personally enjoy the zslash more because i love rackets with flexible or semi-flexible shafts. i love the feel of whipping a racket. but if i play doubles i would want a stiffer racket like the 900p because it will allow me to execute shots with more accuracy given the way i swing.

when i play singles, i usually hold the racket at the butt of the handle most of the time, so the swing weight doesn't change much. but when i play doubles, often times i find myself holding the racket at the cone end of the handle, which changes the swing weight dramatically. with the light weight head heavy 900p, it gives me both power and control depending on the different part of the handle where i'm holding.

so it depends on your swing and the game you play most often.

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    your friend did a good thing focusing on one racket, that's a very smart move.

6. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yes. What he did is really correct. Just that i could not resist the temptation to try other variations of racket type :D

7. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

The z-slash is pretty hard to use since it has a small sweet spot but if you hit it; there's TONS of power. At900p is also pretty good but I find it a bit slow (I'm using a Bravesword 10 xD). What you play (singles or doubles) should also affect your choice for a racket, go for a faster racket for doubles and go for a more head heavy (usually) racket for singles since it is easier to produce power.

8. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think the really small sweet spot makes the racket hard to play for "beginner" or "not that advanced players".
    When you hit the sweet spot easily - try it out! The power of the racket is really well.
    But otherwise, the racket don't forgive mishits. Hitting the shuttel only 1" from the frame away > point is lost (in the most cases).
    So - I don't know your level of play, but as you told you have the opportunity to test the racket before buying - do it :)

9. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

I am down to the wire between the two rackets, both have demo'd and love it. I feel the Z-slash exaggerates my shots where it makes my shot feel more powerful and controlled versus the AT900P but requires a lot less effort as it doesn't exaggerate my shots.

Regardless of which I choose I just wanna hear some opinions and stories of people who have owned or used either of the two rackets.

I also have a question, the z-slash is known for an aerodynamic frame which is created by a slimmer head (top half) so I wondered if I mishit will these result in a damage in frame, as in cracks or even snapping of frame. One of the biggest downsides for me not buying the z-slash is due to the fragile design of it versus the 900p where it is considered more durable. I wanna main one of the two rackets but definitely not looking forward to breaking one in a short time frame, I'm switching from the mp99.

I also consider using 23lb tension or even 24lb tension.

Another quick question is, AT900P I want in 3u but only in g5 grip. If I double grip or use a super grip to make it a g4, will it alter the at900p head heavy feature?

Thanks in advance,

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    quicker with at900 in doubles, more power from zslash. i use AT900 for doubles, ZSlash for singles.

11. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

I have a 3U/G5 and a 4U/G4 version of the AT900P and a 3U/G4 version of the Z-Slash. Maybe I have small hands. I have no problem with the grip size. You can use double grip, but better is getting the gripsize you want.

I'm not powerfull, so I'm not afraid hitting the frame. The problem is you'll often break the string with the Z-Slash because you're not hitting the centre.

12. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

I can't find anywhere selling the AT900P online with 3ug4 -_-' i could go to my local badminton store but its inconvenient as I am out of town for school. I think I will buy the AT900P as it is a safer bet, just worried that my 3ug5 will require double grip and the head heavy will dissapear :(

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    i feel you, i'm the same way. there are so many and i wanna try them all, which will never happen unless i'm filthy rich...but i can dream. :)

14. gundamzaku

working professional
    the swing weight of the zslash is a bit lighter than that of the at900p. when you swing at900p, it feels heavy.

arc10 has a bigger sweet spot but it feel really clumsy for doubles to me. arc9 is a nice racket if you don't mind the pink. arc7 is pretty quick but for some reason i'm not able to generate power compare to the zslash.

at900t is probably my favorite doubles racket because the weight is just right for me. the at900p and the at250 is a little too heavy for me.

something between even balance and head heavy could be the victor bravesword series. when i play with my bravesword11, it feels sorta like a single's racket in that it's pretty balanced. but when i play doubles, it is still quick enough and i do feel the power when i smash compare to a fully even balance racket.

15. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

i really enjoy the z-slash and that i wouldn't mind spending the extra time adjustng compare to at900p, the only problem is it seems that the z-slash has the highest break/crack rate due to its design. on top of that my budget isn't that hefty so i can't continually invest in rackets, maybe at900p is more durable (atleast from what ive seen heard) and i do mishit occasionally due to hard power smashes and if mishit contirbutes to breaking then i will not buy it:( :(

16. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

ive never broken a racket from clashing or mishit but ive smashed my racket on the floor once cause i was angry =[ oh i regrettttt

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    www.badmintonalley.com still has them for purchase.

from what i heard from a friend, his AT900P LCW edition is even a tiny bit heavier than his regular AT900P. i have played with my at900p and have used his at900p LCW edition and they feel the same. maybe i am not sensitive enough.

18. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

unforunately badmintonalley doesn't carry 3ug4 only 3ug5 that is where i was planning to buy it, i also checked out badmintonavenue and they carry 4ug4 but i can't stand the 4u as i feel no weight in it lol, feels as if im using a nanospeed -__-"

19. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have all three of the racquets you have mentioned (MP99, AT900P and ArcZ). I'm personally not a huge fan of the AT900P, it is a little head heavy but thats ok as it is a very forgiving racquet, it has a huge sweetspot which you will find familiar coming from a MP99. It does in my opinion have a softer feel in that the shuttle feels like it is staying on the strings a split second longer than usual. This is my experience of it and is what has turned me off it. I prefer more repulsive racquets.

The closest racquet to the MP99 in the current yonex lineup in my opinion is the ArcSaber 8DX. Which is itself an excellent racquet, very stiff, forgiving and being even balanced it is swings quickly too.

The ArcZ is another favourite of mine. Effortless power and fantastic control, however it does take time to get used to and does have a reduced hitting area. So frame shots are common.

20. qtchen

qtchen Regular Member

The reduced hitting area of Arc Z I agree, and mishits will tend to occur more often compared to other rackets in the market. But I have a big concern with mishits, as I really love to pack the punch in my smashes and if over time my mishits accumulate I am afraid that my frame will not handle the pressure, although I personally enjoy playing at 23-24 tension. Would you or anyone happen to know if using a lower tension compared to the 25-28 most people go for reduce the impact on the frame? Also, will it likely ever crack due to mishits? I play mostly singles and doubles occasionally, but i would say i tend to care about my rackets so clashes on my part won't happen (at least i hope :(.....)