User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are on the right receiving court, you should go for the overhead ideally and attack the centre net area.
    But do not stand at the front service line when he positions himself at the corner of the outer front service line. Two reasons why:
    1) if he serves the low serve to the front line, he is risking the chance of a longer distance travelling service short to ur mid line front service line and even longer distance if he aims the further outer front service line (risking a tap at the net).
    2) if he serves the long back court service it will be covered by yourself standing in the mid of your receiving court, therefore ease of return.

The only problem I think alot of ppl will encounter is that he aims to serve on the mid service line. That is when judgement becomes a half hearted issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjhlim View Post
    if you are on the right receiving court, you should go for the overhead ideally and attack the centre net area.
    But do not stand at the front service line when he positions himself at the corner of the outer front service line. Two reasons why:
    1) if he serves the low serve to the front line, he is risking the chance of a longer distance travelling service short to ur mid line front service line and even longer distance if he aims the further outer front service line (risking a tap at the net).
    2) if he serves the long back court service it will be covered by yourself standing in the mid of your receiving court, therefore ease of return.

The only problem I think alot of ppl will encounter is that he aims to serve on the mid service line. That is when judgement becomes a half hearted issue.
    ^^ Definitely correct!

I'm a intermediate player and able to serve very precisely as you have described! I don't really practice them type of serves but I think I have a natural act for it

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I finally got to play against that player yesterday. I followed the suggestions from R20190, yeeah and Fidget. In addition, I tried to stay a little lower than usually so that I can jump up if the service is to the back middle line.
    I had good success. I could do the around my head shot to the serve in the back and drop to the other corner. My shots went a little deeper than drops but worked well. When the serve was dropped to the far front corner, i was able to reply with a drop right in front. In both cases, I did not get a winner immediately, but got weaker returns and setup the rally.
    The main benefit was that I was not afraid of what would happen. Even if I missed, I still felt confident I had the right strategy. with practice, I can work on the execution.
    Thanks for your help guys.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear! hopefully if enough people get wise to this serve we will never have to see it again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Good to hear! hopefully if enough people get wise to this serve we will never have to see it again
    Absolutely the opposite!

In clubs around the world there are players who will take advantage of an opponent's weakness, even if that means playing "non-PC" shots. Anyone at any level knows that this serve is useless, provided that the receiver knows how to take advantage of it's terrible nature! If receiver does not know how to do that, server will win many more points using it than he/she loses. So let this awful serve come, and let folks learn just how stupid it is, by countering it properly. Otherwise the Bad Guys winů

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen a clear return to the middle worked well. The opponents are basically in side-by-side position after the serve. A punch clear to the middle confused both players, as both of them are looking for smashes or drops. But don't use it every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm unhappy about any clear from a serve. It announces, "I can't handle this serve, so I'll break the rules of attack, and clear it." Unless of course the opponents are seriously out of position, in which case, in desperation, an attacking clear (whatever that is) might beat some poor players. But they have to be sseriously out of position, not just taking a sides position. Of course they must be poor players if they use this serve… but I hate it - it sends the wrong message to them.

A clear gives them time to react, and time to get into a winning position (hitting down) which you should never do unless you have no other options.

So, the question is, do you have no other options but to clear from this serve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your opponent plays the flat drive to the back middle, reply with an around the head drop shot to the centre. Your opponent is out of position and would have a weak reply. If your open plays the low serve into the tramlines, either play a straight net shot or midcourt push. your Opponent is on the other side of the court and his partner most likely around the back middle, leaving a massive hole for you to play into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I followed the following approach against a similar player:-

1.I turned myself towards him....
    2.I returned his every serve to his backhand corner....
    from there it was easy to trap him

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against any flick or drive serve, a forehand is definitely the way to go. Okay, you might occasionally get wrong-footed and have to use a backhand, but never plan on doing that!

This from-the-tramlines drive serve is neutralised by standing farther back and facing the server, so that your feet are approximately "pointing" towards the wide low serve corner -- i.e. imagine drawing a straight line between your feet, and follow this line; it should pass close to where the front service line meets the side line.

In this way, you are well positioned for a round-the-head attack of his drive (or flick) serve. Your feet position means you can easily move to his wide low serve. These are the two serves he wants to play; in practice everything else is less effective.

Because the opponents are not able to cover the court effectively here, your service returns do not need to be that aggressive in order to establish a clear advantage. Play simple, controlled shots and take control of the rally, rather than insisting on winning in one shot. Be aware of what areas the server's partner is covering, and play your returns away from him.

Try it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2