1. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

During this tournment, we have seen many weird calls by judges and line judges...from match delay lost point on serve to the mens doubles game where the referee had a lot to say, what do you think about overall`s application of the rules in this tournment?

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Long overdue?

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yeah ... I have watched that match.. Even umpire was kept on saying that they have to face the consequences if they delay the match.. I wonder how on earth a person can immediately come and play another point after playing a long rally which squeezed most of your energy...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and also during the semi match between XC/MJ and Adcock/Bankier. the umpire called a service fault against MJ, at match point. that was totally weird. i think GC wanted to swear but she managed to control herself and just said "extraordinary".

it is hard to even say MJ did a service fault or not, the question is is the umpire allowed to call a service fault? there is a service judge just for that. the umpire is supposed to watch the receiver and not the server.

and especially at 20-18 match point, it just makes the call very suspicous indeed.

hats off to the Chinese to keep their cool and take the next point decisively and won the match.

honestly, if i were 15 yrs younger with blood boiling, and if i have a few points of margin and can smash 300km/h smashes like Xu Chen, we may have found the shuttle inside the umpire's skull.

5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think gc mentioned that the umpire called fault because she takes too long to serve...

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

7. victorgabriel1

victorgabriel1 Regular Member

The fault was for delay of game indeed, which is ridiculous because she was ready to serve and was just about to serve...delay of play is when one player intentionaly delays the game and slows down the match right...whereas here, all four players were ready to play, and calling a delay of game on a match point is absolutely. Happily, this did not change the resul of this game. Anyways, of course the first match point is going to be longer to start, because of the excitement and because of the crowd who goes crazy...

8. CantSmashThis

This is a delay of service, which is, when the server and receiver are ready, there shall be no undue delay or it shall be a service fault. But like I said, it is all a judgemental call. I only saw that one point, so I cannot tell how the flow of the game was going, but the chair umpire usually has the best feel for how the game flows.

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    Ma Jin is like Lin Dan in mixed doubles!!!

10. CantSmashThis

Can anyone tell me any more scenarios (with videos?), like what matches they were in? Such as that doubles match with the referee on court?

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I think what we witnessed was the implementation of stricter umpiring. This is a reaction to growing opinion and what has been happening in the game of late. Umpiring has been too lenient however IMO this was too strict!

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    If he wants to be strict, the delay of a game should be punished by the yellow/red/black card rule .... not a "fault" call. Would have been better if the umpire just dished a red card to MJ and a point to the opposition.

Maybe he ran out of red cards, wakakakakaka ..........

13. CantSmashThis

Delay of service by undue delay is different than delay of game.

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    what i noticed was the umpires are a bit stricter whenever the game is played in France. i'm not saying it's a good/bad thing, just that i think there was one world championship that took place in france where the umpire was hurrying peter gade to keep the game going while he was walking around the court trying to wring off the sweat on his shirt. in the end because he was distracted by what the ump was doing and because he ran out of breath he lost to chen jin.

i know that the umps are all in a pool and they just pick and it's not like they have only a set of umps in france or anything, but it just seems that way from where i'm watching.