Yonex Ti-5 Titanium Mesh string enquires

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by whitneythen, Oct 28, 2012.

1. whitneythen

whitneythen New Member

Student
    Hi all!

I recently purchased a Yonex Ti-5 Titanium Mesh 2011 Limited Edition from ebay. It should be arriving soon and I am so excited. I am currently using Yonex Arcsaber 009DX and I can't say I like it because it just seems to heavy.

Anyways, it is written on the racket specs that the string tension is suggested at 15~20lbs. Isn't that a little too low? I'm a bit confused about that. Could anyone explain or clear my doubt about it?

I used to use Ti-5 a few years back when I was still an active player but I broke it. If I remember correctly, I used 22lbs then. It was the original version. I'm not sure if it was real or a counterfeit but it served me well.

Also, if anyone could suggest to me what string I should use? I have a good natural strength, can easy hit all the way to the base line and decent control with net shots. As a women's player my advantage definitely is my strength and 'slightly' above average tactical play on the net shots. My biggest weakness is that I'm a lazy mover even though I have the 'semi-right' footwork.

Thanks for your time!

2. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

The recommended tension is just for warranty purposes. If you go above 20lbs, Yonex won't give you a new racket if it breaks because of string tension. That being said, i don't think anyone has ever broken a racket stringing it below 25lbs (assuming they did it correctly)

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree, and if you want more control then go with a thinner string, a thicker string for more power. that's the really general idea, but power and control can also come from your arm so just because you are using a thinner string doesn't mean you can't have power. then there's also stiffness of the string based on how it feels which is a little harder to rate.