User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 18
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The Right Mental Attitude

    i know i am supposed to do my best for every point. but if i do my best and lose the point, it doesn't feel good.

    so should i try my best to win every point? is that the right mental attitude?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    12,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Knowing when in the game to push yourself is important. A game ebbs and flows.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Wingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kyoto, Japan
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As Cheung pointed out, just like with any sport one has one's ups and downs, just like the opponent has.
    Badminton is as much a psychcological game as it is a physical. Once you get to a certain point skill-wise, mentality starts to play a bigger role. But that is also something each player has to work with.
    When I lose a point, I always think that I have to reset my mind and start afresh as each point has the potential to be mine to claim just as much as his.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm no expert in this area, in fact I struggle sometimes myself but from what I've found over the years is that I tend to play my best badminton when I'm actually genuinely enjoying the game and not caring about winning. My thinking is far clearer, I see the shuttle like it was a football and when I'm in that "zone", for some reason, shots seems to happen slower. It's as if they've been slowed down a few frames/sec and so I seem to be able to return the most power smashes with relative ease.

    It doesn't happen often, but when it does, you don't want it to stop.

  5. Likes vinod81, pcll99 liked this post
  6. #5
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    As mentioned, there are up days and then there are down days. But most important is to have a fun day. After all, we're not pros with our careers on the line; we're just recreational players playing for fun and exercise. So keep that in mind when playing and you'll have less pressure to win. Win is good but having fun is even better.

  7. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I'm no expert in this area, in fact I struggle sometimes myself but from what I've found over the years is that I tend to play my best badminton when I'm actually genuinely enjoying the game and not caring about winning. My thinking is far clearer, I see the shuttle like it was a football and when I'm in that "zone", for some reason, shots seems to happen slower. It's as if they've been slowed down a few frames/sec and so I seem to be able to return the most power smashes with relative ease.

    It doesn't happen often, but when it does, you don't want it to stop.
    thanks.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

  8. Likes R20190, visor, vinod81 liked this post
  9. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    i know i am supposed to do my best for every point. but if i do my best and lose the point, it doesn't feel good.

    so should i try my best to win every point? is that the right mental attitude?
    I know all too well what you mean. There is an important difference to distinguish between trying your hardest to win a point, and expecting to win a point. You should try your hardest at all times to win the point - you should perform as well as you possibly can. If this is not good enough, then you need to improve. This is a fact, and shouldn't make you unhappy - everyone needs to improve at something!

    If you expect to perform better just because you are trying, or expect to win the point because you tried, that is not necessarily helpful.

    Sometimes trying harder doesn't help you perform better. As others have said, sometimes you have off days, other times you put in no effort and play amazingly well. This is life - try hard, but don't expect everything to work. See whats working, see whats not, and make decisions about how to play based on that, and how to improve afterwards!

    Expecting to win is a mistake in my opinion. Nobody can really predict the future, and so when it doesn't go that way, you will feel disappointed and dejected. If it does go the way you want, you may not even be pleased - you expected it to happen and it did. Big deal. Try to avoid thinking about the outcome. Just enjoy the process

    Good luck!

  10. #8
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Thanx! Very interesting article . After reading it, I can say that for me, the addiction of badminton is that I'm always trying to get to the next high from being in the flow or in the zone.

  11. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Expecting to win is a mistake in my opinion.
    Basically follow the eastern philosophy, "Do your duty and Never Expect the Result ."

  12. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinod81 View Post
    Basically follow the eastern philosophy, "Do your duty and Never Expect the Result ."
    Yes, that's indeed a common eastern philosophy. But I disagree with the philosophy. Flow theory says the following.

    "Flow theory postulates three conditions that have to be met to achieve a flow state:


    1. One must be involved in an activity with a clear set of goals. This adds direction and structure to the task.[11]
    2. The task at hand must have clear and immediate feedback. This helps the person negotiate any changing demands and allows him or her to adjust his or her performance to maintain the flow state.[11]
    3. One must have a good balance between the perceived challenges of the task at hand and his or her own perceived skills. One must have confidence that he or she is capable to do the task at hand.[11]

    However, it was argued that the antecedent factors of flow are interrelated, as a perceived balance between challenges and skills requires that one knows what he or she has to do (clear goals) and how successful he or she is in doing it (immediate feedback). Thus, a perceived fit of skills and task demands can be identified as the central precondition of flow experiences."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(p...tions_for_flow

  13. Likes vinod81 liked this post
  14. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    But I disagree with the philosophy.
    i do not see any contradiction between the flow theory and the eastern philopsphy. you just focus on doing the best to win the point being played (flow theory). do not worry about the final score (eatern philosohy).

  15. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinod81 View Post
    i do not see any contradiction between the flow theory and the eastern philopsphy. you just focus on doing the best to win the point being played (flow theory). do not worry about the final score (eatern philosohy).
    interesting. you may be right.

    "An autotelic person needs few material possessions and little entertainment, comfort, power, or fame because so much of what he or she does is already rewarding. Because such persons experience flow in work, in family life, when interacting with people, when eating, even when alone with nothing to do, they are less dependent on the external rewards that keep others motivated to go on with a life composed of routines. They are more autonomous and independent because they cannot be as easily manipulated with threats or rewards from the outside. At the same time, they are more involved with everything around them because they are fully immersed in the current of life."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotelic

  16. Likes vinod81 liked this post
  17. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How to achieve these? I don't understand the second one.


    1. intense and focused concentration on the present moment
    2. merging of action and awareness
    3. a loss of reflective self-consciousness
    4. a sense of personal control over the situation or activity
    5. a distortion of temporal experience, one's subjective experience of time is altered
    6. experience of the activity as intrinsically rewarding, also referred to as autotelic experience

  18. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The little sports psychology I know says that there are controllable and uncontrollable factors. Your preparation before the matches are under your control (controllable). Your focus during the match is under your control. Winning ironically is not completely under your control (uncontrollable). Your opponent may also want to win.

    One should focus on the controllable, and disregard the other. In other words, don't think about winning or losing. Don't try too hard. Let your training take over your body (under your reflexes you developed).

  19. Likes visor, pcll99 liked this post
  20. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  21. Likes raymond, visor, vinod81 liked this post
  22. #16
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    8,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vizualization of the shot:

    I find this one thing for me really helps to get myself out of the way and into the zone by visualising the shot I'm about to make just before I do it. When I remember or have time to do this, my shots go exactly where I want them to, whether it's a drop that touches the tape, or drive that just clears the tape, or smash that aims down the middle or racket hip. Anyone one else with similar experience or has other methods to strengthen our mental game?

  23. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    visualisation... I'd consider it a mental aspect of technique rather than 'attitude'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •