Returning spinning net shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jackalan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

I'm a club level player and I play the same guy regularly. He's got a pretty consistent tight spinning net shot and I don't know what to do! :confused:

I've just read the badminton grips and I will try the panhandle grip at the net (for backhand) and a thumb grip (for forehands) but this is for taking the shuttle late right?
    so many times I find myself there early, I just don’t know how to control the spin - if i try to lift it, it will often go wide, or if I return with a net shot it often goes off to the side or short or w/e - feels like I don’t have control.

I have tried leaving the shuttle longer; waiting for the spin to calm down but it’s still out of my control. Watching the pros play (especially Lin Dan and LCW), unless it’s really tight they seem to negate the spin. Can someone elaborate?

Thanks for the help,

Jack

2. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

If you get there early, just do the same motion ie spin it again. I feel that is the easiest way to negate the spin. If you feel uncomfortable with the accuracy you can always put it defensively into the middle. Another option is to not challenge him at the net, if your stops/drops go further (around service line), he won't be able to do tight spinning netshots.

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

the solution is "easy":
    just spin it back...;)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't let him get the situation to play that shot is even easier :)

Sorry, just repeating lordrogue ;)

5. Cillu

Cillu Regular Member

Racquet Tech
    If you always play against the same guy then you should know when he does these types of shots. When he does, use that knowledge to your advantage and maybe try to net kill it? If you get there a millisecond late while trying to do this, lifting it flat might be easier to control since it just passed the net cord.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

dont play slow drops - play them faster and deeper.

7. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

Thanks all, nice suggestions - I will play again today so I will report back later!

so things to try- faster drops and half smashes, playing my net shots deeper,

and as for spinning it back... could you offer some advice on this shot, since I've tried this already but finding it difficult to control. I've counted some games where I've only won 2 or 3 points from the net, damn! I know not letting him play the shot would be my best chance, but I would rather challenge him at the net and get some effortless points.

Cheers

8. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

elbow up, racket should point slightly down. Take it early, straighten your back for balance but bend the knees a bit. The contact point movement should be just a calm, slightly sideways flick with your wrist, no real arm movement. Arm slightly bent, dont stretch it fully. Also focus on being relaxed while practicing it, your arm can almost be floating.
    I suck at explaining the grip so someone else will have to clarify, but you should hold it further out into your fingertips, not using the thumb for generating power as in a backhand lift.
    I dont think it can be taught with words very well though, just either watch some videos of the action or even better, get a coach to teach you.

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Spinning net shot explained by a past master! LJB! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHekipnjGak

To return one then you would need to use the same grip. If you want to stop someone playing one, then push the shuttle further away from the net, don't play too tight to the net.