Round the head or backhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MrBobby33, Oct 31, 2012.

1. MrBobby33

MrBobby33 Regular Member

I have been playing for a number of years and as a consequence have had a few different coaches. My standard is probably around the high end of intermediate, maybe better.... I'm county level(UK).Recently my coach at club and county have been saying different things. One of them says that i need to work on a backhand clear because I always go round my head and leave too much space open on the other side of the court. My other coach says just work on your movement and never to turn my back on my opponent in singles........ I'm not sure what I should be working on. Which do you use?

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Depends on the situation. If the opposition are putting pressure on my backhand from a serve return or by playing a fast flat clear then I will normally play a backhand. I would also consider playing it on my forehand if it doesn't put me out of position by a long way. However because my footwork is ok then I can get under the shuttle without leaping out of the court too far so can play a forehand shot. In brief, t depends on my position, the position of my partner and the position and quality of the opponents. If I were you I would develop a better all round backhand, not just clears and use it when needed plus work on footwork recovery.

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    looks like both coaches agree you're too slow.
    The coach recommending backhand is giving you a band-aid solution for your being slow.
    The 2nd coach is addressing the issue directly.

I bet if you can recover back to base position after a round-the-head, coach 1 wouldn't be recommending the backhand.

4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I was writing a lengthy reply but then I saw that urameatball said the exact same thing but with less words. I still felt I had to write something...

You probably know that around the head is preferred to backhand because - as your coach says - you cannot see your opponent. But around the head can be difficult to execute in pressured situations while still being able to move swiftly back into the court again. Unless your balance is superb you will stagger or stop for a while and it will cause you issues especially if you made an aggressive shot.
    So yeah, work on your physique. Balance first and foremost. Some static exercises are great for this, as well as squats and to some degree shadow footwork.

As the above poster says though, this takes a lot of time before seeing results.
    But I wouldn't say it's a bad thing learning backhand, in some cases you'll have to use it no matter how fit you are. I personally think that a fast backhand drop to the middle is a great shot to master, as it doesn't set you back the same way as a predicted backhand clear or straight drop can do. On my (extremely low) level, once you pressure someone out into playing backhand, you cheat a few steps closer to that side to be prepared for a netkill (for the straight drop) or smash (for drive/low straight clear). This is because people at this level are not consistent enough to cross court clear with their backhand. The hard backhand to the middle neglects this and the opponent can't make a deadly return. It seems like a pretty common shot at the top level too, probably the most used backhand shot.

#4 lordrogue, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  5. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I see nothing wrong in learning backhand. I have seen TH, LD, and LCW use backhand. In fact LCW is working on his backhand (and improving too).

6. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

If you are young, use round the head. If you are over 30, use more backhand to save your back. :D

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    AS an interesting spanner in the works...

I know a guy who is so fast, he can literally reach anything round the head. He contorts his back and can reach an insane way. The problem from there is that there is no way he will be able to play a reasonable variety of shots. Yes he can clear and drop and whatever (not smash - the shuttle is way too low). He has also completely thrown himself out of position. Remember he IS quick, he might be able to get to the next shot, but now he will be scrambling.

In all reality, I think he should take some backhands, when the shuttle is THAT flat, to stop himself getting so far out of position. A good opponent will simply hit there, knowing that although the reply isn't bad, he will basically win the rally within the next few shots. However, If the player just casually turned and played a backhand clear, drop or smash, he would dominate EVERY rally. Why? Because he is so fast he will attack anything that can be attacked, AND he is keeping a good tactical position within the rally at all times, so cannot be exploited in the same way.

Note: not many people have this problem!!! Most play too many backhands and not enough round the head. However, it does go the other way.

Summary: backhands are not bad. Getting in to good position round the head is best. If good position is not possible, sacrificing control of the rally for that sake of avoiding a backhand is a mistake.

Good luck.

8. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Round the head all the time, every time!

Unless you can't make it.

9. waterinfish

waterinfish New Member

teacher
    agree it, If you are young, use round the head. If you are over 30, use more backhand to save your back.thanks [​IMG]

10. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

It's best to use a combination of both. If u have enough time, use the overhead.

11. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Overhead clear or backhand clear or backhand drive or backhand drop???

Hi guys,
    Agreed with BC members suggestions, if u are old, use backhand clear, if not can use overhead clear. Watch yr back if u are doing overhead clear. If one is older, she or he can easily sprain her/his back muscles. The, it will be a few months layoff.:p

One of the beauty of backhand clear is, it saves u alot of energy and time, if u know how to execute it correctly. It could be a backhand clear, or backhand drive or backhand drop. Use it as not to sprain yr muscles and enjoy yr game longer with passion.:D
    Lee:D

12. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

If u play singles, u MUST have decent backhand. Otherwise, u are pretty much INCOMPLETE, ie your shots arsenals have to be complete to deal w/ all kinds of shots.

13. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Like most people say, it's necessary to be able to use a proper backhand, HOWEVER even if you do have one, make sure you do not get lazy and do the backhand just because you can. Some players tend to use the backhand instead of overhead when they actually still have time to do the overhead stroke.

14. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Wingu, u are right but what can I say? I am a lazy old man n my joints n bones are almost 1/2 a century old. He..he..he..:eek:

15. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Hi sautom88,

I wouldn't blame older players if they use backhand, but I've seen a lot of young players use backhand because of lazyness or they want to show off that they can use it.

#15 Wingu, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012