Consistency:easy or hard

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Cheung, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dear Jonas,

Not sure if you read many of the other threads. Here's something that crossed my mind.

We, on BF, see many supporters being very disappointed at their favoured teams lack of progress through a tournament. In fact, this disappointment can be expressed with a lot of criticism.

I would like to ask, how easy or difficult it is to maintain consistency? Obviously, now that you and Lars have won the World Champs, how do you cope with maintaining that standard? What are the factors that may cause a perceived 'lack of form'?

Thanks,

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Difficult, interesting question!!

Hi Cheung!!

I´ve noticed the same that people tend to critize their favorite players when they don´t perform up to their standards!!

I don´t think it´s quite fair because it´s very difficult to even explain how many factors can be the reason for lack of performance. In my point of view to play really well, like in Birmingham, things have to combine and add up to a whole. This is maybe difficult to understand, but what I mean is that you cannot just say that only one single thing went wrong in a bad performance. Usually, it´s more complex than that.

Let´s say that I´m satisfied with myself if I don´t live up to the level of play Lars and I made in Birmingham how long do you think I would keep my motivation and think it´s any fun??

Not very long because sometimes winning the big things takes a whole lot of losing the matches you want to win. I think this is the button line of it all. You cannot keep on winning the tough matches because there´s a lot of very talented players out there. The one thing that you can hope for is that, losing or winning, you keep on developing into the best player in the end and thereby winning the big tournaments.

I hope this explains some of it because as I said before it´s very hard to explain!!

Kind Regards

Jonas