Anyone play at Sunnyvale Rec. Center in California...

Discussion in 'USA West' started by love2bad, Oct 3, 2003.

1. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Hi!
    I am new to the Sunnyvale Recreational Center (in California):cool: and I was wondering if there was anyone on the forum who plays there. If so, what type of atmosphere is it. Is it a loose atmosphere. I am female, and I went there last week just for maybe ten minutes to see what kind of people played there, and all I saw were Indian Men. The people I saw were mid level players. Does anyone know if there are any females that play there as well. I did not see one female that day. I would like to start going there, but I am not sure if the people there are open to just playing with a stranger. Or am I going to be waiting around if I dont bring my own partner. I saw a couple of guys shake hands before playing, so maybe they just met and started playing. I am not sure. I just thought I would ask first before buying a pass. I am pretty friendly, so I shouldnt have any problems, but the first time is always a little nerve racking. :( If there are any girls out there who are interested in finding a partner to play with, please also drop me a line.

If there is anyone that regularly plays there and has some personal experience, please respond. Thanks in advance! ;)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    love2bad,

welcome to the area and welcome to BF.

sunnyvale has a really nice gym and a lot of opening times. the lunch time session is popular even among the job-ful ppl.

however, as you can probably see, is usually pretty crowded. last time i was there, there were no queueing system in place and trying to get on a court can get ugly with so many ppl. it will take some time to get to know the crowd.

other places that you can check out are:

Gunn High School, Palo Alto : sunday afternoon. rather crowded, but gets emptier toward the end of the day.

Bintang in MV : not too good gym, but good crowd, strong players and friendly atmosphere. look at www.bintangbadminton.com

San Jose State Univ. : opens on weekdays and weekends. varying crowd.

3. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Gunn High School, Palo Alto : what time in the afternoon?

Bintang in MV : the gym is not too bad, although the ceiling is pretty low compared to what im used to. I play there on saturdays from 7-11 since I know no other place that is open during that time.

San Jose State Univ. : what time is it open on weekends and weekdays?

Mt. Pleasant High School, San Jose: Sundays from 12-4...free or so i have been told

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    SJSU : at least the following:

Every Saturday 2:30pm-6:30pm ($2.00/session)
    Session #1: 2:30pm - 4:30pm
    Session #2: 4:30pm - 6:30pm

Every Sunday 2:30pm-6:30pm ($2.00/session)
    Session #1: 2:30pm - 4:30pm
    Session #2: 4:30pm - 6:30pm

however, i think they are also open weekdays. i cannot find the schedule. there are two groups who has open gym. BANC and the SJSU students. sometimes they have opengym right next door to each other. kinda strange. :)

Gunn: i think it is 12.30pm. but i haven't been there for a long time already.

Pleasanton is also opened on Sat evening 7-11pm. kinda far, but the gym is very good for bay area standard.

Bintang is nice and cozy and the ppl are friendly, also close by and almost open all the time (7-10pm everyday except thurs). a nice place to drop by when the badminton bug suddenly bites...

5. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Thanks for the quick response guys!

Thank you Kwun for the details and more information. ;)

And Joseph, when you say you play between 7-11, is that evenings or early in the morning? Just curious if there is any place open that late. (you probably mean a.m.?)

Does anyone know of any other places besides Tuesday nights on weekday nights that are open on this side of the S.F. Bay without crossing over the bridges? For example I see in some info. sites they say South S.F. High School is open on Thurdays, but no one seems to know if it is true or even what time. All the information I seem to come across about that site is very old info. I even went there on a Tuesday night, and it was all locked up.

Well, if anyone knows any information on a place that is open on any other weeknight besides Tuesday nights on a weekday, I would appreciate a reply.

This sites great. Thanks!

6. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Kwun, just missed you email by a few seconds...

Sorry if the question seems redundant, but as you wrote a reply I was asking another question that you just answered. Ooops!
    Anyways, every night??? Really??? That would be great if that were true. Anybody else know that for a fact?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i say drop by Bintang. ceiling low, but friendly atmosphere.

7-11 is usually pm. i don't think too many places open in the morning. most open gyms are afternoons or evenings.

you also need to tell us if you prefer the southern side or the northern side. SF is quite far from SJ!

8. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

I would go anywhere for badminton...almost.

All kidding aside, I can go anywhere in the S.F. area all the way down as far as San Jose. I just don't like having to cross bridges, but even Fremont is really not that far for me either. I know there's a gym out there as well, but I prefer to stay on the west side. Where do you park the car at San Jose State(closest to the gym) and how much is it? I prefer to park as close as I can to the gym. Do you know Kwun?

I just checked out the site for the Mountain View place, and it is every night except Thursdays. You are correct. I guess I should chose one or maybe two places I would like to continuously go to because by the time I pay for yearly dues or passes, I would have spent enough for two or three member gym memberships. I guess I will check each place out at least once before I decide.

Anyone want to tell me where they like going to and why?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Bintang definitely opens everyday (minus thurs) from 7-10pm. if you managed to drag the owner for a few games at the end of the day, or if there is a huge crowd, they'd open till 11pm. sometimes if you are lucky if the owner is busy doing work, you can stay till midnight, but those are rare.

they have drop in for $4. or monthly pass for $25 (or is it $35?) there is a guy who goes there 5+ times a week, they sure don't make any money off him!

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'll be making an appearance at SJSU tonight with my friend, Mr. Trickster (another user on this forum). I'll be wearing somewhat dark blue/purple shorts and a white shirt that says Independence High School. If your there, say hi and maybe we can get a doubles game going on.

11. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Sorry I missed your reply...

I didnt know you replied until it was too late.
    I did not make it there. Maybe next time. Thanks for your invite.

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Well I went to SJSU last night and it wasn't too crowded. There was always one open court out of the six they have. I'll most likely be at Bintang tonight. If your going to be there, reply.

13. jmai

jmai Regular Member

SJSU is open from M-F 7-10:30 pm $3 for this Fall semester.

14. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Directions to SJSU?

Thanks for that info. regarding new hours at SJSU.
    Anyone know the way to San Jose State University?
    What exit off of S101 is it?
    And where do you pay for parking when you get there? Are there parking veding machines in the area or do I have to go to the parking or police office for a parking sticker? Where is the best place (closest to the gym) to park?

15. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

From Highway 101 in either direction:
    Highway 101 to the Highway 280 north interchange Highway 280 to Seventh Street exit north, make a right turn; cross San Salvador and left into Seventh Street Garage ($6 exact change required for a day permit).

From Highway 280 in either direction:
    Highway 280 to Seventh Street exit north (left turn coming from north, right turn coming from south); cross San Salvador and left into Seventh Street Garage ($6 exact change required for a day permit).

From Highway 680:
    Highway 680 south to Highway 280 north; Highway 280 to Seventh Street exit north, make a right turn; cross San Salvador and left into Seventh Street Garage ($6 exact change required for a day permit).

From Highway 880/17 in either direction:
    Highway 880/17 to Highway 280 South interchange; Highway 280 south to Seventh Street exit north, make a left turn; cross San Salvador and left into Seventh Street Garage ($6 exact change required for a day permit).

Wells, my friends usually park just outside the campus. And i forgot which, but there's a parking garage just outside the gym. Somewhere on San ------- (something >_<) If your going on friday, tell me.

16. jmai

jmai Regular Member

The Gym is located near 4th St and San Carlos. It's the 2nd building on the left when u're walking onto Campus on San Carlos. Street Parking is free after 6pm I believe. There are plenty of street parking. U shouldn't have to go to the expensive garage unless u're desparate not to walk a block away radius. Good for warm up.

17. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Thanks to all who've replied.

Anyone know where Bintang is located? I went up and down Shoreline 4 times and couldn't find it.(Well, it was night time and dark)

18. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Bintang is very hard to spot. I didn't know where it was until my friend showed me. It's the next left turn after passing Century Theaters. Across from Bintang there is a bar that plays Mexican music, Subway (the food place), and other stores. Bintang is sorta how you say attached to the Credit Union building.

19. love2bad

love2bad Regular Member

Oh, that's where it is!

Joseph, thanks! Yeah, I saw that credit union building. But there were no address signs that I could see, especially hunting in the dark. Now I know where it is. So were you there last night? I was trying to find it. By the way, do you know you're mail box is full? I sent you several emails, but couldn't get through because it was full. Just so you know. Do you have a set place you go to on Wed. or Fri.? Just checking. I don't know my schedule yet but...

20. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I usually play on Saturdays. Ill be at SJSU on Fridays from now on probably. If i can find a different place on Saturdays, ill probably go. Or I might just go to SJSU for their 2 afternoon sessions.