User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slippy floor: quick fix?

They have resurfaced the floor in the hall we play in, it's a bit slippier than I would like, is there a quick and easy way to make a floor less slippy?

I asked the caretaker, he said he would clean the floor before our badminton club comes in on a Friday, he thinks that will help (but it depends how he cleans it I suppose). He also claimed that top badminton players like the floor to be a little slippy. That doesn't sound right to me, but is he correct?

B

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, have you ever played on these green carpets the pros use? It's really rough and not slippy at all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, now you mention it I have, and it wasn't slippy.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieR View Post
    They have resurfaced the floor in the hall we play in, it's a bit slippier than I would like, is there a quick and easy way to make a floor less slippy?

I asked the caretaker, he said he would clean the floor before our badminton club comes in on a Friday, he thinks that will help (but it depends how he cleans it I suppose). He also claimed that top badminton players like the floor to be a little slippy. That doesn't sound right to me, but is he correct?

B
    Cleaning the floor will help if the flooring is new it should not be slippy. The cause will most likely be dust settling on top of it. Keep a damp towel court side and step on it every few points, should help. Pro's don't like slippy floors obviously, too much fast stopping at full stretch it would be injury central.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think somebody may have used the wrong kind of polish in places.

The hall also gets used for 5 a side football. The football kids bring in dirt on their shoes, that turns to dust and makes for slippiness. I also wonder if the footballers like a bit of slip.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a hard floor cement surface with varnish on it.
    The person in charge of the club cleans the floor with a wet towel at the end of a floor cleaning stick every time before we play.
    Takes him ten to fifteen minutes to clean three courts and the surface is really good when we play.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The gym is shared by basketball players and the school for all kinds of sports so when we play there at night it's usually very dusty.
    I can generally say all users of the gym would like clean floors but they don't use clean shoes when they come to play.

We also get members who play with the shoes they walk in with so it does get dusty and slippery as the night goes on.

Personally I change from my casual shoes to badminton shoes anytime I play and my badminton shoes are never worn outside the badminton courts.

They can install dust collectors or dust mats at the entry of the gym. I've been to a network data centre where they have adhesive mats that grabs all the dust off your shoes as you walk in but that would be extreme for social badminton clubs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem in one of the gyms I play in - it only gets cleaned once a week, on Monday, and we're playing Sunday evening.

An experienced coach showed me how to clean it quickly: Dispense a little bit of water over the court (about 0,5l per half court, best to bring a bucket), and mop it. Continue with another half court. If you want to be able to play quickly, simply use a dry mop and mop perpendicular to the previous run to distribute the moisture evenly.

The hard part for me was to find a mop that fits into my racket bag. At the end, I ordered a custom-built one from a dedicated mop store - expensive (about 100), but it works really well. The store also got a lot of different dust mops, so I experimented a little bit until I found the best one to clean and the best one to dry the court.

Of course, if you are in a club of any sorts, members who do not switch into clean Badminton shoes upon entering the hall should be warned/expelled.
    Last edited by phihag; 02-04-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phihag View Post
    The hard part for me was to find a mop that fits into my racket bag. At the end, I ordered a custom-built one from a dedicated mop store - expensive (about 100€), but it works really well. The store also got a lot of different dust mops, so I experimented a little bit until I found the best one to clean and the best one to dry the court.
    Haha only in Germany. Good effort!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slippy floor solution

I carry Tubular Grip

Name:  tg_Grip_Knee_Main_11.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  14.0 KB

using Size D or E, Cut a length of about 50-60cm and double it up on your calfs.
    (like in the picture but lower down)
    Add a little moisture to the tubular grip on the insides of the calfs,
    wipe the sole on the moistened part between rallies.
    It will get really dirty after a good session but easily washable for re-use.

Works a treat in my opinion!!

Just don't add too much water or you will slip around for the 1st few steps after wiping the soles.

Also works as compression for the calfs too

Others use a damp rag on the side of the court

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nogin View Post
    I carry Tubular Grip

using Size D or E, Cut a length of about 50-60cm and double it up on your calfs.
    (like in the picture but lower down)
    Add a little moisture to the tubular grip on the insides of the calfs,
    wipe the sole on the moistened part between rallies.
    It will get really dirty after a good session but easily washable for re-use.

Works a treat in my opinion!!

Just don't add too much water or you will slip around for the 1st few steps after wiping the soles.

Also works as compression for the calfs too
    Haha so just a quick highland fling inbetween points and both your soles are clean. nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody. It is an extremely informal recreational club, so I am planning to do ALL the things you have suggested, I will bring in a selection of specially made mops, I will have damp sponges attached to my calves and I will insist on all other players wiping their shoes on special wiping pads I will install beside each court. This will freak the other players out to such an extent that I will win all my games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Haha so just a quick highland fling inbetween points and both your soles are clean. nice!

Haha, Yea that's pretty much it.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use paper towels to add some water or detergent, tread wet wipes when you playing , it will not slip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to pour some water on the floor beside the court and whenever I find the sole slippy, I just go to the "pool" of water and rub my shoe against the floor. It works every time but unfortunately it does not last long.

Other options will be rubbing your non racket hand against the sole of your shoe. It's very effective as it moisten up your sole and give you some friction. The reason why the racket hand isn't used to rub is because you will dirt your hand while running the sole and causes your grip to become dirty as well. Hope it helps.