User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default could you beat a pro women's doubles team?

I wonder if I could.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first question you must answer honestly is:
    Can you beat all the women in your own club? City?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post a video of yourself and I can tell you if you could...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you are a very top player in BC the answer is flat no. If you are a very top player in BC you may stand a chance. But I'm would still bet no.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question is:
    What is considered a "pro player".

Actually, only very few players are really pros in the sense that they solely make their living from playing badminton!

In European countries, the top players are really (part time) students, that have to cover the costs from badminton by other sources (jobs, parents, sometimes government) but do not actually make money by playing badminton.
    In other words:
    A BWF100 ranked ladies doubles does not make money playing tournaments.
    Hardly anyone in this forum will beat a "real pro female player", i.e. a top-10 doubles pair.
    More players will be able to beat a, say, top100 or 200 pair.

But anyways, we will not be able to judge whether the OP can beat any of these without a video of him playing...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think a lot of club players massively underestimate the skill (and fitness) gap between an average male club player and professional female players -- nevermind the top 10, who will take you apart in their sleep.

It's quite funny to watch on the rare occasion you get to see them play a few singles rallies at a coaches' conference or something.

I had some fun once in a two-versus-one attacking exercise against Gail Emms, who was on the half-court. We were not allowed to play clears on account of her being pregnant. I think I got one smash past her (probably the baby kicked), but most of the time she just made us look pretty silly.

And then there was all-out half-court singles attack, just me, against Lee Young-suk, who was defending. It was like hitting against a wall. A wall with a big friendly smile attached to it, but still a wall.
    Last edited by Gollum; 03-31-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Judging only by the questions the OP asks on this forum, he will not have a chance against any BWF ranked ladies doubles.

I would furthermore make the claim, that IF you are able to beat a, say, BWF100 female pair, you will know it and not have to ask here on the forum.
    So chances are high, that if you have to raise this question here, they will beat you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    I do think a lot of club players massively underestimate the skill (and fitness) gap between an average male club player and professional female players -- nevermind the top 10, who will take you apart in their sleep.
    Totally agree!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Had chance to play with retired female single player (Korean national player). she is around 30 years old.. she is superb within club men..
    Just ex-elite male players(eg. stopped at 16~17years old) can tight game with her

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, first we have to make clear what a "female pro player" is!

There's a HUGE skill gap between an average , say, BWF-150ish ranked doubles team and a top-ten pair.

Whereas the former will probably be within reach for some guys around here, the latter will probably be not!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would anyone want to beat a woman?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're not married?

(just kidding...;-))

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    You're not married?

(just kidding...;-))
    What would you gain after beating her.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thumpsky View Post
    I wonder if I could.
    If you are just a club player, there is near zero probability that you would come close to beating a top 20 world ranked ladies SINGLES player. Many do not realise the significant gap between a world top 20 singles player and club players especially in terms of fitness, footwork and shot production.

In terms of DOUBLES, the gap might be a little closer, but most club players would still struggle against the ladies top 20 world ranked players.

And lastly but most importantly (as already mentioned by other posts here), if you're asking the question, then the answer is probably NO you are not likely to beat the pro women's at doubles

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many do not realise the significant gap
    More like impassable abyss.
    Last edited by Gollum; 04-01-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthking View Post
    If you are just a club player, there is near zero probability that you would come close to beating a top 20 world ranked ladies SINGLES player. Many do not realise the significant gap between a world top 20 singles player and club players especially in terms of fitness, footwork and shot production.
    I had a sparring session with a ladies singles player who was playing the international challenge tournaments. I was training quite actively then. We had a tough match against each other. It was a very interesting exercise because against her, from certain positions, I could only hit consistently good shots shots to one or two areas of the court. Against lesser players, I would be able to hit to three or four areas and able to introduce more variation. She had the same problem as me - I noticed her tending to be limited to less variety of shots. At that time, she was ranked at about 200 in the world.

In terms of DOUBLES, the gap might be a little closer, but most club players would still struggle against the ladies top 20 world ranked players.
    Most club players would struggle significantly and then lose to the top twenty. If you go down to ranked 50-100, that's probably more realistic but we are talking about guys who train, and have good understanding of footwork, rotation, shot production - not just power.

And lastly but most importantly (as already mentioned by other posts here), if you're asking the question, then the answer is probably NO you are not likely to beat the pro women's at doubles
    The best answer!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    More like impassable abyss.
    Well OK!..... LOL.... I was trying to be nice....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast