User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default in sesarch for the ultimate rough string

    had a long conversation with David from Badminton Alley and he recommended a couple strings that has a rough texture. the roughest from Yonex is BG85, from ashaway is PowerGut65, and from carlton is the X-Elerate X67. and also the victor VS850 from my personal experience has the roughest texture of any victor strings. fortunately for me, when i talked to David on this past saturday was when he just got the shipment of carlton xelerate67 strings. so i caught him at the right time.

    fortunately for me, i actually have 4 carbonex 8600ti so i'll be stringing all four strings at the same time, probably next saturday. then play with all four strings at the same time on the same day that i strung it, probably next saturday.

    with my experience with 3 out of the 4 strings, the victor vs850, carlton x67, and yonex bg85, are all stiff strings or at least they give a hard feel when you hit with it. even though there aren't any specs on the package of the ashaway powergut65, it is safe to assume that it's also a hard/stiff string.

    here are the thickness of the strings

    vs850
    0.68mm

    bg85
    0.67mm

    x67
    0.67mm

    powergut65
    0.70

    david mentioned that there used to be a string so stiff that when you string it onto a racket, you have to pull the crosses slowly or else it will shave a layer off of the string, but that string is no longer made. anyone knows the name of that string?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What do you mean by rough?
    Is it rough tough use or is it rough in texture.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nevermind with carlton X67, it's so so bad. Bg80/85 are hardfeeling strings, powergut65 is soft, but nothing is as soft as x67, it feels like it's strung 2lbs lower than 80.

    For a rough feel I lked bg66UM better, I also liked apacs Lurid Power

  4. #4
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    rough as in the feel of it when i touch it, when i slide the string thru my fingers. it's more of a control string, the vs850. and it allows me to cut/slice the shuttle when needed. i am not too concern about whether the string is hard or soft, tho if it's stiff, it's a plus. my only concern is the texture of the string and so far the strings i've listed are the strings that i have come across that feel hard to the touch.

    i'm actually excited about the carlton since i've never played with one at my preferred tension without the stupid carlton paint. i just gotta wait till the vs850 is worn on my carlton vapour trail vanquish, then string the x67 on that racket so i can compare. i no longer remember the feel of strings strung on the carbonex 8600ti so i won't use that racket anymore.

    maybe i should get a bunch of carlton ignite rapid since i bought one and it does feel really good hitting with it, and it's only $59.99USD each!!!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Have you ever tried NBG 99 it is a control string.

  6. #6
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aqua26 View Post
    Have you ever tried NBG 99 it is a control string.
    i did a comparison with the vs850 and it's a bit more powerful/repulsive than the vs850, but it's nowhere near as responsible when cutting/slicing the shuttle as the vs850. texture wise it's definitely not as rough

    strung both without prestretch, both loses tension at the same rate.

  7. #7
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    update: ashaway power gut 65 versus carlton xelerate x67

    both strings strung on Wilson BLX Force, 82-86g, head light, flexible shaft, @ 24lbs.

    no prestretching

    power gut is by far the roughest string, therefore, it was really stiff, and painful to string. the carlton has ridges on the exterior, but it's half as rough.

    surprisingly, they are both more repulsive than the vs850. the power gut is a wonderful string because i got superb control on soft shots and very repulsive on hard shots, plus, it's not as heavy as the carlton x67. the carlton x67 is very repulsive, so much that i am considering restringing another set but up the tension by 2lbs. with the carlton string my shots were way off because it was so bouncy. even though clear shots took no effort, but the control characteristic is completely out of the equation, horrible. i do believe that the carlton stencil ink has something to do with how stiff the string is, and possibly because it's been sitting on the racket for a while, so it's a bit dryer than normal.

    thinking about the way the powergut performed i might consider that string instead, but i'll have to play it with the vs850 side by side to be able to compare further. overall i like the way the powergut feels, and i haven't given up on the carlton string yet!

    shocking thing was, at about an hour after stringing the carlton, which was strung AFTER the powergut65, the carlton tension dropped. i don't know how much since i only banged on the stringbed and realized that the tone had dropped already. maybe the carlton string just doesn't hold tension?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What about zymax 67? They feel very texturized when you weave the crosses.

  9. #9
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cillu View Post
    What about zymax 67? They feel very texturized when you weave the crosses.
    i have felt a sample of it and it's not rough enough, but it doesn't have that feel where it seems dry so it's rough.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You should try the Gosen R4x110. The "roughest" I've seen

  11. #11
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlanthier View Post
    You should try the Gosen R4x110. The "roughest" I've seen
    thank you for the suggestion, i think i will get a set of them and try it out!!

  12. #12
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,140
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    you should try zm62!

    it's not as rough as vs850, but still slightly rough... but because it's a very thin string, it "cuts" into the cork very nicely

    compared 24lb to my usual vs850 string at 25lb, it has significantly more crisp repulsive power, control, and feel...

    definitely give it a try if you haven't yet!

    if it lasts for a few months for me and retains tension well (likely better than vs850 ), then this will be my new go-to string!

    Last edited by visor; 11-24-2012 at 06:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    you should try zm62!

    it's not as rough as vs850, but still slightly rough... but because it's a very thin string, it "cuts" into the cork very nicely

    compared 24lb to my usual vs850 string at 25lb, it has significantly more crisp repulsive power, control, and feel...

    definitely give it a try if you haven't yet!

    if it lasts for a few months for me and retains tension well (likely better than vs850 ), then this will be my new go-to string!

    i have tried the zymax62 and it is definitely the thinnest and most controlling string right behind the luxilon supersense i just strung this week. as you say because it's thin it does cut into the cork very nicely. however, when i had it strung on my muscle power tour, i still wasn't able to generate much power, probably because even at 24lbs, it becomes decently stiff. it still doesn't hit as well for me as the vs850

  14. #14
    Regular Member Desouled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've recently tried the Pro-Kennex strings from Taiwan - the Pro Flex 85. When you run your hands along the string you can feel how they bite into the shuttle.

    If you're a fan of control strings with strong hold (shuttle sinks into string bed before repulsion), then you might want to try and get your hands on some of the Pro-Kennex strings. Had a try at three of them and write a bit of them on the blog.

    Here's a picture of the strings close up so you can see the texture of the string.

    Name:  IMG_1956.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  54.7 KB

  15. #15
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desouled View Post
    I've recently tried the Pro-Kennex strings from Taiwan - the Pro Flex 85. When you run your hands along the string you can feel how they bite into the shuttle.

    If you're a fan of control strings with strong hold (shuttle sinks into string bed before repulsion), then you might want to try and get your hands on some of the Pro-Kennex strings. Had a try at three of them and write a bit of them on the blog.

    Here's a picture of the strings close up so you can see the texture of the string.

    Name:  IMG_1956.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  54.7 KB
    i will check it out when i'm in asia next month thank you for sharing!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •