User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 49
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maritime canada
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default how long can one take to serve?

    I am not sure if their is a rule about this or not. But is it against any rules that when you have the shuttle and are about to serve how much time are you allowed before you actually start the motion of your serve? Im sorry if im not explaining this question well enough please help.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Are you meaning time between points ? Or time in which you stand with the shuttle ready to serve ?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if it's the 2nd option, I don't think there is any specific rule as to the time taken, but I presume it's at the umpires discretion as to how long you take to serve.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Maritime canada
    Posts
    532
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What I mean is that my friend to whom I play with a lot takes the shuttle once im in my ready position and he waits like 10-15 seconds before actually starting his swing so I didnt know if there was a rule against that or not.

  5. #5
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    haha.. u do the same back to him... but longer.. see how he reacts..

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pune
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I saw recently in the Malaysia open, umpire giving warning to a player for taking long time to serve..so I hope here should be some rule definitely.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decoy View Post
    What I mean is that my friend to whom I play with a lot takes the shuttle once im in my ready position and he waits like 10-15 seconds before actually starting his swing so I didnt know if there was a rule against that or not.
    The rule is "neither side shall cause undue delay..." (Laws of badminton rule 9.1.1). But they don't say how many seconds is an "undue delay", so it's at the discretion of the umpire. I've heard people say that up to five seconds is reasonable, but that's not an official rule. 15 seconds is definitely too long.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Seri Kembangan, Malaysia
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes, there is no specific time frame listed down, coz it's kinda hard for the umpire and service judge to look at stop watch and the players. Therefore it's up to the umpire decision. In typical case, it's about 5-7 seconds, counting from the moment when both sides ready to serve and receive. Usually, umpire use heart count/finger count.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    The rule is "neither side shall cause undue delay..." (Laws of badminton rule 9.1.1). But they don't say how many seconds is an "undue delay", so it's at the discretion of the umpire. I've heard people say that up to five seconds is reasonable, but that's not an official rule. 15 seconds is definitely too long.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is no Hard & fast rule..but anything more than 5 sec will 'unnecessary delay'

    9. SERVICE
    9.1 In a correct service,
    9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server’s racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;

  10. #10
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Sooner or later the Laws of Badminton will be more specific

    Quote Originally Posted by K1NGK0N View Post
    There is no Hard & fast rule..but anything more than 5 sec will 'unnecessary delay'

    9. SERVICE
    9.1 In a correct service,
    9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of serverís racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;
    .
    Sooner or later the Laws of Badminton will be more specific - regarding 'unnecessary delay'.

    Today, umpires make sure that during intervals, a stop watch is triggered to make sure that no more than the specified time allowed is being misused.
    .

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Today, umpires make sure that during intervals, a stop watch is triggered to make sure that no more than the specified time allowed is being misused.
    This applies to the interval between games and to the mid-game interval, right? They're not using a stopwatch between every single point?

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It all depends on what is undue delay. My understanding is that undue delay means any delay longer than necessary to deliver a serve. This means that if the receiver is ready, the server must serve immediately and a serve starts with the first backward movement of the server's racket. This also means that there should not be any delay after the back swing of the serve and the forward movement of the serve must be immediate.
    So undue delay applies to these two areas.

  13. #13
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Stopwatch is triggered to check that specified time allowed is not being misused

    Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    This applies to the interval between games and to the mid-game interval, right? They're not using a stopwatch between every single point?
    .
    Correct. Currently stopwatch is only being triggered at intervals occurring at mid-game and between games.
    .

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes that is crorect. It is about 5 seconds - any longer is a delay of game.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    any updates to this question? people still agree its still "just" 5-7 seconds?
    varying your initial service stroke can be an effective strategy in controlling the pace of the game.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NorCal, United States
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is no definitive answer. It is all up to the umpire on how long it really takes for it to be considered a delay of game. The umpire certainly doesn't have a stop watch or count in his head how much time has passed. It is all up to the judgement of the umpire to if it feels like quite has time has passed.

    So the answer to this question varies, from umpire to umpire.

  17. #17
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,847
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    There is no definitive answer. It is all up to the umpire on how long it really takes for it to be considered a delay of game. The umpire certainly doesn't have a stop watch or count in his head how much time has passed. It is all up to the judgement of the umpire to if it feels like quite has time has passed.

    So the answer to this question varies, from umpire to umpire.
    .
    Most umpire would warn the players by saying "Play on, Play on".

    If them players do not, probably a warning card should be shown to them.
    .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Switching from long serve to short serve in singles
    By JustinG in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 9
    : 07-28-2010, 08:32 PM
  2. BackHand Long Serve
    By Andy Eh in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 3
    : 03-18-2005, 08:54 PM
  3. A long doubles serve
    By oab729 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 9
    : 03-12-2005, 01:50 AM
  4. how to serve (long)
    By confuzzledfreak in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 7
    : 06-16-2004, 12:48 AM
  5. doubles long serve
    By wind rider in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 12-22-2002, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •