Time to give up badminton???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CanucksDynasty, Nov 5, 2012.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    OK...I'm in a little bit of a dilemma.

I spend approximately $800-$1000/year on court fees, shuttles, strings, and a new racket once in a while ;). But like everyone else...there's only so much money to go around.

I have a 4yr old that is just recently taking martial arts. It costs $150/month...so about $1800 a year. Not going to cut back on Chinese School and swimming lessons for my kid. By giving up badminton and cutting back in a few other areas, I could keep my kid in martial arts.

I want to keep playing badminton but I really want my kid to have things/experiences/skills I never grew up with.

So...should I give up badminton (temporarily) for the sake of my kid's happiness??
    :confused:

Asking what people think or have done.

Thanks,
    CD.

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I switch to plastic birds, BG65 string and play in the yard BUT I still play ! :)

3. CanucksDynasty

Somehow I don't think it'll be as fun. ;)

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I'm a huge fan of getting people to quit their hobbies. so I vote quit.

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    But it is better than quit

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

You will be surprised as to how CHALLENGING it is to save and defend against a "curve" smash or drive of a "steroid" plastic bird :p It will improve your reflex and agility to no ends i.e. extreme badminton !! It is a totally different game !! :D

PS: I play outdoor badminton 2X a week with my kids (Malaysian playgrounds have concrete outdoor badminton courts with posts, you just bring your own net and gear) ... really help my "proper" indoor game :D

#6 maxout, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Canucksdynasty,
    Your dilemma is no laughing matter.
    Parents have to sacrifice for their kids. BUT you gotta have something for yourself. If it's badminton, great. If not, it has to be something -- preferably social-based exercise. And it has to be something that doesn't create friction with the wife. If you don't have something like that you will soon be a fat, cranky slob who is no fun at all.

So, lay off new racket purchases. Treat your strings, shoes and shuttles carefully. Play at the gym where the fun-to-cost ratio is best. And examine where else money disappears to. A monthly examination of your budget may reveal a few too many Starbucks coffees on your credit card statement; or expensive haircuts; or unnecessary diamond-encrusted Elvis jumpsuits. There is usually something on there you could sacrifice.

We in Canada have so much compared to folks in some places who are also members of this forum. We have to be aware of how lucky we are. I wish you good luck in your current dilemma, but I have faith that you will find a way through without giving up a past-time so wonderful and health-ful as badminton.

8. divinefavor

divinefavor Regular Member

software engineer
    while i understand your situation, quitting sounds very sad.
    i'd find savings else where and keep my hobby. for example, you can skip buying new racquets every once in a while. you can increase the use of plastic birdy (for warm and such), or pick up perfectly usable birdies that people abandoned. if you have a decent racket and durable tension, you won't have to spend as much on your gears. birdie and drop-in/membership fees are really the big chunk.

it's nice that you put your priority on your children first. however, find a way to save else where and continue playing what you enjoy.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

$4000/yr total in lessons already for a 4 year old?!!! :eek:

Ummm... don't you think that's a little bit too much? And you have a second one coming!

Does a toddler really need martial arts? You have to ask yourself that.

As Fidget says, badminton is probably not only good for your physical health but your mental health too. So think of it as taking preventative measures against future illnesses and counselling sessions.

And you can always look for ways to cut back on your badminton expenses, like instead of paying for hourly court fees, go to drop-ins which are much more economical per hour.

And you can cut down those expensive racket purchases... after you get the Revelation first, of course! :p :D

#9 visor, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You have not factored in the social aspect and the health aspect. Playing badminton is also about meeting friends.

There is no need to buy a new racquet. Move down to a less expensive one but get 3 of them. Stringing cost - may need to go to a more durable string.
    Shuttles - I could never compromise on feather shuttles but that's just me :p

You can still play once a week and then intersperse it with practice sessions of one hour with another person. So doing a few shuttle drills and feeding with one other person. This will get you ready to help your son when he starts badminton ;)

11. CanucksDynasty

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm a Tim Hortons guy instead of Starbucks :p. Starting to brew my own coffee to cut costs. My last racket purchase will be the Revelation ;). Per year...it's $450 for dance, $1800 for martial arts, $300 for swimming lessons, and $260 for Chinese School. That's not including daycare costs. There's too many bullies/weirdos out there that I want my kids to be able to protect themselves (ie. Martial Arts) if the need ever arises. I could cut back on family trips but I don't think the wife would like that. Much to ponder.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you cut coffee, that will cut costs :)

13. CanucksDynasty

I tried. I was known as Mr. Grumpy :p. Also the withdrawel symptoms were worse than a hangover.

14. divinefavor

divinefavor Regular Member

software engineer
    i just have a feeling that you won't quit badminton.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Agreed. Let's get kwun and his wife to ban him from visiting BC for 1 week... bet you he won't make it past 3 days before he suffers withdrawal! ;) :p :D

16. apachesun

apachesun Regular Member

Student
    For me u are not a FIGHTER
    If u really like badminton and have passion on it , you should CONTINUE WITHOUT SACRIFICE ur kid
    Do alternative income such as open online shop or u can sell badminton acc , jersey or whatsoever and promote it to ur friend, its small income but it will help u continue ur hobbies

17. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Quit playing physically and start playing with your imagination, you will become a better player when coming back. Your kid will thank you . Your wife too cause you are home more. It is a win win win solution.

18. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I think that is a bit too strong to say IF you do not know the person's actual predicament or situation. :(

19. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

man you need to find another martial art instructor.
    When I did martial arts as a kid, from the beginning to when I finished my black belt exam I think I JUST topped 3k in total for tuition. Granted it might be cheaper because my sensei ran his dojo out of a local chinese community centre, (we only paid something ridiculous like 50 bucks a month...took me 4 years to get to BB; did another 3 years of wushu, THAT was pricier @ 80 a month) but man 150 a month seems a LOT considering it's almost never 1 on 1 training. (maybe I'm just out of touch with martial art tuition)

Look for a new sensei. No frigging way should one discipline cost double what the other three COMBINED go for. It makes no frigging sense.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You folks over in BC (not this BC, the real-world one! :D ) heard of Community Centres? ;)