User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 72
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    why do you want to construct or build your own gym instead of buying (or renting) an existing one?
    because none of badminton gyms are for sale. i'd gladly take one if it's up for sale, and make things easier.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    let's say you are a casual player. and there is a nice badminton courts nearby that has everything you need for you to enjoy badminton with your friends and the owner is not a former player or club owner. what stops you from going there?
    Players usually following coaches, do your footwork finding out how many facilities are running by people like yourself that are successful. Besides what make those players go to your club, you got to have some asset that set you apart from other club.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    why do you want to construct or build your own gym instead of buying (or renting) an existing one?
    because none are for sale. if there was one for sale, i'd gladly take it and make things much easier.

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    Players usually following coaches, do your footwork finding out how many facilities are running by people like yourself that are successful. Besides what make those players go to your club, you got to have some asset that set you apart from other club.
    while that may be true in your area, it might not be the same case here. i've been to at least 4 different venues, and i've been constantly going to the same place for past 2 years. owner never shows up and nobody cares. people just enjoy their badminton all the time. (and the gym is always packed with people)

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    also, proximity is an asset. if i can play badminton with 5 min driving compared to 30 min driving, i'd choose the former given that the quality of the courts are similar.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    also, proximity is an asset. if i can play badminton with 5 min driving compared to 30 min driving, i'd choose the former given that the quality of the courts are similar.
    I can tell you are very determined, good luck. Keep us post your progress.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    I can tell you are very determined, good luck. Keep us post your progress.
    thanks i guess. do we have any idea how many people here are club members and how many are casual (non-club) players? i'm not sure if we categorize players like that, but i'm just curious because badminton clubs are mentioned a lot.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    have u talked to others at these threads?

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...hp/82-USA-West

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    have u talked to others at these threads?

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...hp/82-USA-West
    oh.. didn't know about this. i will check it out now. thanks!

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    thanks i guess. do we have any idea how many people here are club members and how many are casual (non-club) players? i'm not sure if we categorize players like that, but i'm just curious because badminton clubs are mentioned a lot.
    A good club needs a core of good players to attract other players. Most people like to play with people at par or better. Traveling time is a factor but I think the people you play with is far more important. Good players usually have had some coaching, therefore having a good coach or two have a major impact . Just my own opinion.

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    A good club needs a core of good players to attract other players. Most people like to play with people at par or better. Traveling time is a factor but I think the people you play with is far more important. Good players usually have had some coaching, therefore having a good coach or two have a major impact . Just my own opinion.
    good point.

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firetab View Post
    This won't be an asset for you. Good locations (not for you, but for potential customers) will be prohibitively expensive. For every customer that has easier access to your location, there will be another person who lives further away from your club.

    People will definitely be willing to drive, but there needs to be a competitive advantage, whether it be a cleaner, nicer location, quality coaching, youth training programs, or a fun, casual crowd.

    Interpret this however you want, but I would be surprised if you are over 27 (I am 24.)

    -
    you make lots of assumptions which are not accurate.

    in general, good location can be expensive, but it is probably expensive for good reasons. but i won't even go there because badminton is somewhat different from other popular sports in US, in that it is mostly enjoyed by people from certain regions around the world like asia and europe. so a good location must have high asian/european population who can be potential customers. so you cannot generalize the definition of a good location here in US in this context.

    most of badminton gyms around this area are warehouses converted to badminton courts. where do you think they are located? in a nice shopping mall along with popular shops? nope. they are next to other warehouses. and these warehouses are typically isolated from residential areas (though they can be very close in distance from residential areas). i am guessing it's how each city dissects zones for city planning. residential, industrial, shopping district, etc.

    it can be a bit challenging to find these places at first because they're not located in "good location" by your definition. but are they going out of business? no, because badminton lovers don't give up playing badminton just because most accessible badminton court is hiding in the industrial zone. all badminton gyms that i've been to are always packed with people at peak times, often with people waiting for courts. so location is less important for badminton business compared to other businesses. with internet, gps and location services, anyone can find it at will. badminton here is not something that you decide to walk in while passing by a badminton gym. those who play badminton here were already into badminton or were introduced to this sport by others. in that sense, your badminton gym, though it'd be nice, does not have to stand on the most valuable land.

    " For every customer that has easier access to your location, there will be another person who lives further away from your club."

    this statement just assumes everyone plays badminton which is just not real. so i won't even argue that point. my previous paragraphs should have disproved why this is not applicable here.

    people will be willing to drive to get a nicer court, good coaching, etc. i agree. but if you have to drive 30 minutes to get to a gym while there is another gym in equal quality in 5 minute distance, you will think about it. 30 minute might not be a big deal. but it's 1 hour round trip in your car when the gas price is spiking. sure, if you have friends who come to the location that is further from where you are, then so be it. one of reasons why i want to open a badminton gym in my choice of location is because there's no courts nearby. i'd like to give people better and quicker access. that does not necessarily imply that i want all badminton players to come to my business. simply it's another choice for consumers, and ultimately it is up to consumers to decide where to go.

    lastly, about age profiling. i am not sure what your point is there. i can see you are making some assumptions about age groups and their ability in general. i don't find it necessary to argue this point. but, according to your rule of thumb, you seem to fall in the right age group.
    Last edited by drifit; 12-27-2012 at 05:58 AM.

  13. #30
    Regular Member winstonchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    nuclear reactor
    Posts
    357
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    divinefavor

    Good to know that you have the heart and enthusiasm (ie guts) to start a new badminton club/gym. Similar to starting a new business, it's never an easy task, the biggest enemy is yourself, because you have to drag yourself out of the comfort zone, while yourself is telling you "don't be silly". Lots of "chicken and egg" feeling.

    Basically forumers can only offer you advice, sensible and healthy advice based on their life experience. You have to have an open-mind to analyse these advice. Try not to fall into the trap of arguing every point that you don't agree. Successful people accept and learn from differences in opinions.

    I guess the only people you have to convince now are your bankers, yourself, and any partner that you will be starting the project with, at this stage. What your friends say could be useful, but you have the choice to filter the noise.

    Once you get the club going, then you will have to put in some effort to convince people to come, not to come once, but to come on regular basis. It takes guts to start a new venture, then it take perseverence to sustain it. Don't be surprise to see what you put in has zero or negative reward for the first few years. The most difficult part is to learn to live through "Uncertainty" times. You want to stay in when yourself is telling you to get out. When you can't even convince yourself your logic of carrying on.

    You might ask, isn't perseverence = stubborness. Yes, but perserverence is stubborness with sense and wisdom. That's why people ask you how old you are. The older you are, the wiser you are, because you have lived to see more. That's only a general rule, not absolutely true. At the age of 40+ I am still an idiot.

    Take things step by step. Dip your finger, then your foot, before jumping into the water. Try to work in a club to gain experience before running one. There are basic things you need to know, and every business has some tricks. So that you don't go the long way.

    If you can't sleep without trying it, then I suggest you go out and try it. Once you started it, you definitely can't sleep. It's a commitment.

    Good luck mate! All the best...

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not sure how it is in your area but my (former) coach said if it wasn't for lessons given/provided, the courts wouldn't survive. Also, prepare not to make any money for the first 3 years. And have an exit strategy. Good Luck.

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    very helpful insights. thanks.

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Your competition is brutal. This reminds me of the tv show Shark Tank.

    Where did you want to open this club? I am assuming San Francisco.
    I talked to one owner who told me after crunching the numbers for this area, it's simply too expensive to be profitable. Existing clubs are saturated in just about every other area already.

    emeryville, ssf, burlingame, menlo park, milpitas, sunnyvale...

    Not to mention that currently, many sf ppl go to the rec centers that offer badminton such as 28th and lawton or upper noe valley.

  17. #34
    Regular Member pBmMalaysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kuching, Malaysia, Malaysia
    Posts
    4,723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This thread looks like my initial plan/dream

    And now a reality for the 7th years whoops! time flies .... LOL

    We are still running the same 39 courts, the biggest badminton centre in Malaysia !

    Occupancy rate at prime time 7pm onwards is at 100% everyday!

    Beside these courts we have 6 futsal or mini soccer field.

    Trick of the trade is do it yourself full time.

    Know badminton inside out, i mean must know how to run tournament,

    knowledge of coaching, sports injury etc etc anything related to baddy.

    BadmintonCentral here provide a hell lot of infor if you do a search.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •