User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thumpsky View Post
    thats what happens when you treat badminton like a commodity. What about product differentiation?
    the question is then, how?

how to make it better? better enough that people will pay more money than the guy next door who charges $250/year of membership? overall, i think badminton images is more ghetto style and mostly visited by us Asians who are more money savvy (to put it in a nicer way ). you will have to do something that is attractive enough for people to pay more, or do more things to attract people to buy more services. but what could they be aside from things that has been mentioned. training, shop, snack/beverages.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    the question is then, how?

how to make it better? better enough that people will pay more money than the guy next door who charges $250/year of membership? overall, i think badminton images is more ghetto style and mostly visited by us Asians who are more money savvy (to put it in a nicer way ). you will have to do something that is attractive enough for people to pay more, or do more things to attract people to buy more services. but what could they be aside from things that has been mentioned. training, shop, snack/beverages.
    Asian style? Rent out rooms to a tutorial centre. The tutorial centre teaches math, English, science, Chinese, Korean. Kids can get tutorials and then get to go on a badminton court for lessons and exercise without the time and petrol needed for travelling costs. How about a dojo? Small amount of refurbishment cost right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Asian style? Rent out rooms to a tutorial centre. The tutorial centre teaches math, English, science, Chinese, Korean. Kids can get tutorials and then get to go on a badminton court for lessons and exercise without the time and petrol needed for travelling costs. How about a dojo? Small amount of refurbishment cost right?
    That was my initial idea, Cheung

but it turn out not really working

unless you can get those good or "famous" tutors inside your compound

Works for the younger ages though as the parents are not that choosy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asian Style - the only thing that came to my head would be Sauna & Massage within the badminton club.. I'm sorry!!

OK back to the reality!! Besides restaurants or cafes, tutorial centre is a good idea, with baby-sitting or children playgroup services would be even better. The moms and dads can spend 1/2 a day at the badminton club relaxing without worrying about kids. Moms & Dads are "the fat pocket market" who is willing to spend if you can serve them right!!

Try to think what services are available to differentiate your badminton club from just being a badminton club...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    how about a dojo for Kungfu, Karate, Judo and Kendo!!!!
    Last edited by pcll99; 11-16-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    how about a dojo for Kungfu, Karate, Judo and Kendo!!!!
    Sign me up!!! I surf the net while my kid goes to Martial Arts but I much rather play badminton if I could.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    the question is then, how?how to make it better? better enough that people will pay more money than the guy next door who charges $250/year of membership? overall, i think badminton images is more ghetto style and mostly visited by us Asians who are more money savvy (to put it in a nicer way ). you will have to do something that is attractive enough for people to pay more, or do more things to attract people to buy more services. but what could they be aside from things that has been mentioned. training, shop, snack/beverages.
    differentiation doesn't always mean better, but it does mean different. That will take imagination.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think strategic partnerships are also helpful. Look at how jugo juice sets up shop outside every gym, or how Starbucks and Chapters always go hand in hand.So what is the perfect compliment to badminton?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just going back to the tutorial centre idea, it's important to consider that the success will depend on local factors. I think in M'sia, the market tends towards freelance tutors. In HK, there are free lance tutors but companies offering tutor centres are very common. In HK, these companies tend to concentrate around certain buildings/commercial areas. So in one building, you might find a couple of dance schools, art schools, language schools etc with a couple of snack bars very close by. So in HK, such an idea sounds quite plausible. In M'sia, it doesn't seem to work well.

Well, I am not sure how it works in US, but the point is to attract people can work differently in different countries or cities.
    Last edited by Cheung; 11-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a place that sounds just like that. It's called a community centre.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funding difference and target market segments

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    they accept riff raff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    And next to it probably a mini police station and clinic

And they are for reports and admissions .... if you know what i mean

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

differentiation doesn't always mean better, but it does mean different. That will take imagination.
    we need more concrete examples instead of just leaving it to the imagination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    ok, i've read 2-3 postings on this subject but those were in the context of out side of US. i am located in california where badminton is relatively popular compared to other US states. i have a totally unrelated occupation right now, but i've grown into the sport of badminton for past few years and wanted to run badminton court business because that's where i felt my passion is.

i am in the very beginning stage of getting there. i've never owned any small business before so i wanted to ask this community to gather some ideas and resources, and pitfalls to avoid. i didn't major in business in school, but i am confident that i have enough business skills to own a badminton gym. the most i am puzzled with is getting the fund/loan, finding location (buy? rent?), finding contractor to do construction, and finding supplies for pro shop. well, that sounds like almost everything....

currently i am conducting researches around this region to complete a business presentation to show it to lenders. i don't have slightest clue how much business fund i need to start this business. i am hoping i can at least have 10 courts, but i may need to start smaller.

in any case, i am taking my very first step into the land of unknown. i guess it does and will take a lot of courage to switch from my current job to owning a business. but with the help from this great community, i hope to reach my goal and contribute to this wonderful sport of badminton.

so please do share anything and everything.
    Looks like you were able to get some great information here on BC. I have to concur with most of the concerns brought up by other members. As for getting funding, you've already been given good advice, you need some really solid financial projections to pitch to investors. If you are hoping for a loan from a financial institution, you are going to need a good track record of opening and running a successful business. As Kwun says, end of the day, it all comes down to the numbers. If you can't convince the bank that they're going to get their money back, you aren't going to get anything from them. First thing you need to do is figure out how much a 10 court facility will cost to build out and lease. Check the local zoning bylaws.

As PbmMalaysia mentioned, you need to know the badminton business inside and out. How can you sell a product that you don't fully understand yourself. Be prepared to work 7 days a week.

As some others have mentioned, location location location. In the information age, people don't want to spend years trying to find what is right for them. Since most badminton facilities are built using the same mold, if you can be closer, you may very likely become the place of choice to play at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post

As some others have mentioned, location location location. In the information age, people don't want to spend years trying to find what is right for them. Since most badminton facilities are built using the same mold, if you can be closer, you may very likely become the place of choice to play at.
    Not sure where I was going with that "information age" line, looks like it was really late last night and I was switching back to writing this and doing something else at the same time. I really shouldn't participating on BC at 4 in the morning LOL

Anyways, best of luck in following your dreams

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Strategic partnerships? Like this?

Last edited by Cheung; 01-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast