User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 72
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default starting badminton court business

    ok, i've read 2-3 postings on this subject but those were in the context of out side of US. i am located in california where badminton is relatively popular compared to other US states. i have a totally unrelated occupation right now, but i've grown into the sport of badminton for past few years and wanted to run badminton court business because that's where i felt my passion is.

    i am in the very beginning stage of getting there. i've never owned any small business before so i wanted to ask this community to gather some ideas and resources, and pitfalls to avoid. i didn't major in business in school, but i am confident that i have enough business skills to own a badminton gym. the most i am puzzled with is getting the fund/loan, finding location (buy? rent?), finding contractor to do construction, and finding supplies for pro shop. well, that sounds like almost everything....

    currently i am conducting researches around this region to complete a business presentation to show it to lenders. i don't have slightest clue how much business fund i need to start this business. i am hoping i can at least have 10 courts, but i may need to start smaller.

    in any case, i am taking my very first step into the land of unknown. i guess it does and will take a lot of courage to switch from my current job to owning a business. but with the help from this great community, i hope to reach my goal and contribute to this wonderful sport of badminton.

    so please do share anything and everything.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    have you ever had any experience running a badminton club (full or part time)?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no, as i stated before i have no prior experience other than being an enthusiastic player.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,319
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sounds like a big step. Helping in the admin of a badminton club will help a lot in knowledge acquisition. Another good way of gaining more knowledge (and contacts) is to get involved in running a tournaments. This way you can increase your network, speak personally to people drawing on their experience as well as lowering your risk. I.e. learn as much as you can before putting any money in.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i play in corporate leagues ( between companies) but that league is very informally managed, and most of them are just casual players. if i do get to open one, i plan to expand the business one by one. i do not plan to have everything and open business right from the start. meaning, i'd start off with nicely constructed court for drop-in and membership. then add pro shop, coaching, tournament and so on as resources permit.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You should start by running a club first (ie, rent a place).

    Next, run some tournaments (by renting other people's place).

    After 3 years of doing the above, then you can start thinking about constructing or building your own gym or arena. The arena can be used for other indoor sports (eg, basketball) or activities.

    getting a supply of birdies are the easy part, i think.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what is the significance of running a club and running tournaments in relation to running badminton gym business? i guess, the better question is, what does it take to run a club. i can see how running a club might help on the business side because you gain knowledge on the need of other enthusiasts and also expand networks. but do this for 3 years? i am not being sarcastic here, so don't take any offense. i'd like to know what i'd be expecting from going through mentioned experiences. because i go to 3-4 different badminton courts around this region, and most of people appear to be casual players (in all different levels). so my natural instinct tells me 'are those experience absolutely necessary?'

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,319
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    i play in corporate leagues ( between companies) but that league is very informally managed, and most of them are just casual players. if i do get to open one, i plan to expand the business one by one. i do not plan to have everything and open business right from the start. meaning, i'd start off with nicely constructed court for drop-in and membership. then add pro shop, coaching, tournament and so on as resources permit.
    rather than think about a business presentation, you need to get out to more gyms to get a feel of other people's needs. Getting involved in admin is a way of learning the specifics of running a badminton business. At the moment, you only have the perspective of the social side.

    That you hope to own a badminton gym is laudable but as a replacement for your job....hmmm..
    Another badminton facility is good for the game but I wouldn't like to see a person suffer.

    BTW having a well run tournament is one way of advertising.

    But having a facility well organised is the key. What if your courts are too hot, too much wind, not high enough, no parking, inadequate shower facilities, no drinks machine or refreshment counter, system of booking courts and payment that is fair, shuttles available for purchase, stringing service available.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    what is the significance of running a club and running tournaments in relation to running badminton gym business? i guess, the better question is, what does it take to run a club. i can see how running a club might help on the business side because you gain knowledge on the need of other enthusiasts and also expand networks. but do this for 3 years? i am not being sarcastic here, so don't take any offense. i'd like to know what i'd be expecting from going through mentioned experiences. because i go to 3-4 different badminton courts around this region, and most of people appear to be casual players (in all different levels). so my natural instinct tells me 'are those experience absolutely necessary?'
    3 years is a long time. But since you want to get a big loan from the banks to construct a gym which has 10 courts, you need to have a good track record. You need to demonstrate your network and connection within the badminton community.

    the significance of running a club or tournaments are these. If they are successfully run (after 3 years), you can then run them at your own gym!!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    rather than think about a business presentation, you need to get out to more gyms to get a feel of other people's needs. Getting involved in admin is a way of learning the specifics of running a badminton business. At the moment, you only have the perspective of the social side.

    That you hope to own a badminton gym is laudable but as a replacement for your job....hmmm..
    Another badminton facility is good for the game but I wouldn't like to see a person suffer.

    BTW having a well run tournament is one way of advertising.

    But having a facility well organised is the key. What if your courts are too hot, too much wind, not high enough, no parking, inadequate shower facilities, no drinks machine or refreshment counter, system of booking courts and payment that is fair, shuttles available for purchase, stringing service available.
    i don't know how else you can own a gym without completely switching your job unless you're very rich and can afford to have a gym on the side. on the other hand, i doubt how successfully the gym will be ran if you don't devote your max effort.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,319
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    i don't know how else you can own a gym without completely switching your job unless you're very rich and can afford to have a gym on the side. on the other hand, i doubt how successfully the gym will be ran if you don't devote your max effort.
    Exactly. So it depends on your assessment of the risk. Which in part depends on your ability to plan and run. Obviously, we are not in your location so specific details can't be commented upon. I think pcll99 has a point - a non-badminton financial backer would like to see some sort of track record unless they also know the situation closely. Unless you are targeting very rich backers.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Exactly. So it depends on your assessment of the risk. Which in part depends on your ability to plan and run. Obviously, we are not in your location so specific details can't be commented upon. I think pcll99 has a point - a non-badminton financial backer would like to see some sort of track record unless they also know the situation closely. Unless you are targeting very rich backers.
    i have no track record other than a great personal credit history (since i never ran a business of my own before). so yes, i would need to come up with a very solid business plan to attract lenders. i don't expect this to happen overnight. i'll be happy if i can open one in 1-3 years term. i do consider my current job to be very stable, but man's gotta follow his dream i guess. i feel like i'm shooting in the air right now, but hopefully things will solidify as i carefully plan.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why do you want to construct or build your own gym instead of buying (or renting) an existing one?

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,319
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by divinefavor View Post
    i have no track record other than a great personal credit history (since i never ran a business of my own before). so yes, i would need to come up with a very solid business plan to attract lenders. i don't expect this to happen overnight. i'll be happy if i can open one in 1-3 years term. i do consider my current job to be very stable, but man's gotta follow his dream i guess. i feel like i'm shooting in the air right now, but hopefully things will solidify as i carefully plan.
    I understand this and have seen this happen to a lot of people. Things will become clearer as you go along.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I still haven't knowing a club not running by a former player or coach. Managing people is thousand times harder than hitting a bird. Don't jump, it is a cliff, my friend.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    sf bay area
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by latecomer View Post
    I still haven't knowing a club not running by a former player or coach. Managing people is thousand times harder than hitting a bird. Don't jump, it is a cliff, my friend.
    let's say you are a casual player. and there is a nice badminton courts nearby that has everything you need for you to enjoy badminton with your friends and the owner is not a former player or club owner. what stops you from going there?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    may i ask how old you are?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •