Doubles Racket for intermediat/advanced player.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Paxonator, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Paxonator

Paxonator Regular Member

Currently using a Yonex AT 500 with bg-65 21lbs. I don't mind it I guess, but was looking for a second racket and keeping the 500 as a spare. I play pretty much only doubles. I'm 26 5'6" medium build with a decent smash when I connect right. Our club plays 2 times a week and I get out every chance I get.

I'm pretty competitive and go for almost any shot. All around player smashing and dropping evenly I'd say. We play side by side doubles for the most part. The members I normally play with are good and we only hit rackets rarely so durability isn't a big issue.

I've done some reading and was looking into the Victor BS12 or maybe NS9900. I honestly don't know what kind of racket my current AT-500 is so I'm hoping someone can help me decide. My budget is around the $200 mark. Also note I live in Canada.

Thanks,

Travis

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Stiff and slightly head heavy is what you need. Like MX JJS, 4U VZTF, Arc10,etc.

3. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    ARC 10 is rally good racket.
    I love Arc 10.

4. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    Bs12 is good too.n cheaper than ns9900.it is a double racket

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Are you looking for a racket similar to your own or different from the AT500? That is a good all-rounder with a somewhat heavy head. The NS 9990 would be stiffer and you'd want to adjust your swing a bit as it takes a strong quick wrist to get that power you've read about. The BS12 would probably feel similar to the AT in stiffness but lighter in the head. Great control racket. Again, there would be a learning curve for power stroke... But learning is fun. :). How available are these in Weyburn? Unless you are buying 2nd-hand or ordering from overseas you'll be lucky to get either in your hand for under $ 200.

6. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

Maybe you should buy a racket what's close to the AT500, like the Yonex Voltric 70. So you will have less problem adjusting when you switch rackets.

You should also ask yourself what you are looking for in a new racket. Maybe something you are missing in the AT500, power, speed control, etc.

7. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Arc10 is pretty light racket. Mine is TH coded. It gives me good feeling, pretty fast and good control. But power wise is a bit lacking unless you have powerful wrist to swing it for unleashing its power.

So depends on what you are looking for....

Welcome your comments bro... :)

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

How can you know that from the given information? Ludicrous!

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Don't know why nobody has recommended this, but get the AT500. It'll suit your style of play and it's really similar to your existing racquet so you won't need to adjust to it. :D

10. visor

visor Regular Member

You don't think that OP has given us enough info to work with? IMO he has, if you don't think so then why don't you ask for more info from him.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    guessing your AT500 is either 3u or 4u, so the swing weight is not going to be light. if you're happy with the way your racket plays, just stick with it and find something similar.

BS12 is still going to be a bit less head heavy than your AT500 and NS9900 is head light and could be close to even balance if you get the 2u NS9900, but it's not going to be head heavy. this means that your smashes might not be as powerful, but in lacking power you gain quicker response time because they swing a bit lighter if i'm not mistaken.

having a 200 dollar budget allows you to virtually get any racket in the yonex catalog, which allows you to get any racket, period :) but if you want the same weight balance and stiffness of your AT500, but you don't want another AT500, then check out the voltric series from yonex, the superwave and bravesword series from victor :)

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    exactly why i had a problem switching to the ns9900, because i've gotten used to flexible rackets and sometimes i whip it with my arm. but witht he ns9900 as you have mentioned, required strong quick wrist movements!!! took me forever to figure that out by changing my swing speed quite a bit. wonderful racket nonetheless.

13. Paxonator

Paxonator Regular Member

Wow thanks for all the responses! I have no problem buying used and I'll be buying online. Small city of 10,000 people with no sports stores!

Well I'm leaning towards the BS12. The AT500 is discontinued now but I'm sure I could find another if I tried. I got back into badminton 2 years ago and have only used the AT500 so I'm pretty used to it. Of course I would like a harder smash but in reality placement is much more important I think. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for but I kinda wanted to try something else out.

Found a BS12 for $194 shipped in within Canada which seemed like a good price. Although I should keep watch on the buy/sell forum here.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Just be forewarned that BS12 is quite headlight... It's gonna swing very differently than your current racket. Great defence, but your smashes are gonna be compromised. Just so you won't be surprised when you get it. ;)

15. Paxonator

Paxonator Regular Member

Gee wish I could try some of these out first! Maybe I should just buy used from here in case the racket isn't for me.