Racket recommendation for my Dad

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sidhanthohm, Nov 6, 2012.

1. sidhanthohm

sidhanthohm New Member

Engineer
    Hello All,
    My Dad is a very active 60 year old man living in India. He loves playing badminton and has been playing the sport for very many years.
    I live in USA. Every time I call him he get so excited to talk about how well he is playing in the club and competing with the younger players.
    But recently he developed an elbow pain and painfully stopped playing the sport for few months now. He is recovering and getting ready to start hitting the shuttle again.
    Though he mostly use the Yonex Carbonex racket(cheaper ones), he never paid much attention to the quality and specs of the racquets he uses to play.
    I want to get him a good racket which is light weight and also suits his age and ease on elbow .
    Please recommend me few specific racket models with specs.(Around $100 would be ideal)
    And also some specific accessories for his elbow.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ohm

2. observer

observer Regular Member

If you are talking about Yonex, Then Any Nanoray with 4U specs. should be light enough.

If cheaper alternative, may be apacs lethal 8,9,10 4U as well....

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    my father is also 60yrs old this year and i just bought him a new racket. he used a nanospeed 3000 before and i thought the light weight will help since he's very skinny. but as it turned out he didn't have enough power because of the light weight. so i brought around 15 rackets for him to try out and he found that the arc002 is even balance with flexible shaft works well for him as well as the voltric 9 which he says has a more flexible shaft than his nanospeed 3000. and because the voltric is head heavy he is able to generate a bit more power clearing and smashing.

i strung his nanospeed3000 at 22lbs and i thought that will give him more power, but as it turned out it was the racket. my arc002 is at 24lbs with vs850 string, his voltric 9 is at 24lbs with bg80power string. he is very happy with his new found power via his new racket, and badminton has been a lot more enjoyable for him :)

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    oops i guess i misread his thread. you are correct sir, nanorays are light weight, and so are nanospeeds.

karakal has some light weight rackets.

some HL rackets are lightweight as well as LiNing wingstorm series.

carlton ignite rapid, a new 2012 model is head light and it's only $59.95USD. i love it and am still hitting with it.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    60 year old
    played many years
    uses carbonex

Chances are
    a) he won't like changing to a new model
    b) he is using a carbonex 20 old version
    c) that it is 2U (95-99grams)

Racket recommendation: carbonex 20 again but the lighter version (3U 90-94grams).

The point was made that too light and you get no power into the shuttle for a lot of people. I agree.

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Since your dad is already a CARBONEX user, then give him a real treat, get him a CARBONEX 20 (not Cab 35 or Cab50 - these new variants are not like the REAL THING !!) ... any user of carbonex will love this racquet to bits ... they will also know it is a GREAT CLASSIC !! :) You probably make his "dream" of owning a high-end Carbonex come true !! Trust me, it will be a GREAT and FANTASTIC SURPRISE for him !!

Note, don't get Cab20 with all sorts of abbrevation behind it ... just get either CAB20 (or in SE and SAsia region - the CAB20SP ) :D - get the 3UG4 version or if his grip size is small - 3UG5

Don't string too high - follow the recommended tension (max 21lbs) - use a soft feeling string, it will be great, BG65 or BG6 !!

#6 maxout, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Come to think of it, I have yet to meet an oval racquet head user that DID NOT LIKE the CAB20 !! :D

8. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    Not sure if he can find a 20SP so easily in the US. When I was LA years ago, could only locate them in Huntington Beach Mall.

Have not seen the 20SP in JB or SG yet. Saw some online shops selling them in KL, HK, etc.

Have 2x21SP myself after selling my original Carbonex20 years ago.

Ya agree if his dad has been using oval frame racquets, he may not be incline to switch to the iso-frames.

I have a lighter oval frame racquet and is a Proace but these are flexi while the Carbonex series are stiffer.

#8 hew128, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  9. raistian

raistian Regular Member

:eek::crying:

I'm with Cheung - older players often go for familiarity than o-shiny factor. Is it possible to take him a shop & let him choose (when he's visiting you maybe). It'd be like going to Alladin's cave :D.

10. sidhanthohm

sidhanthohm New Member

Engineer
    Thank you all

Wow. Thanks a ton guys.
    I will make a choice and let you all know my Dad's reaction to it.
    Fantastic forum and amazing users.:)