User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 18 to 26 of 26
  1. #18
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,200
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mendell View Post
    I have the blue Mavis 2000 as this is the only ones I could find here and they are too fast for normal playing condition. Unless you can find the green ones, you are better with the standard Mavis 350.But yeah the price is pretty high here in Canada too: 2000 were at $17 and the 350 are at $15...
    At what ambient temperature are you playing in?

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The temperature where I play (University sport complex) should be around 23-24 Celsius. For the lower categories in regional tournaments here, we usually use blue Mavis 350, but I'd rather make the switch to the 2000 (green ones though).

    The thing I meant that maybe wasn't clear is that a blue 350 is slower than a blue 2000. Blue ones are pretty standard here... I'm not even sure if half the player know that there are other colors depending on the temperature.

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore - Central
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shuttlehead View Post
    I have played at places where they have not used feathers for years. Since I am an archer this is normal because nylon vanes replaced natural feathers long ago.

    If you compare a feather the drag on the goose or duck feather is far greater than the drag on nylon vanes. The flight of a nylon shuttle is different. Just learn to use nylon shuttles and you have shuttles with a uniform speed, drop rate, and they last 5-10 longer than feathers.

    If you want the speed of a feather while using nylon use the slow or green shuttles. Yes I agree that the best nylon shuttles are Yonex 2000 but the slow speed ones are not available from a retailer in the U.S. These are available in the U.K. where they sell for 12-14 pounds per dozen.

    Now that the price of good nylon shuttles is near the price of good feather shuttles I expect a substitution of nylon for feathers around the world.

    Shuttlehead
    The feel and sound of the nylon shuttles at impact is kinda weird... Can't get over that mental obstacle. As long as the price of decent goose feather shuttles are still affordable, that's what I'd stick with. Besides, substituting natural products for petrochemical ones... hmmm, not very environmentally friendly?

  4. #21
    Regular Member wguan126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin301 View Post
    The feel and sound of the nylon shuttles at impact is kinda weird... Can't get over that mental obstacle. As long as the price of decent goose feather shuttles are still affordable, that's what I'd stick with. Besides, substituting natural products for petrochemical ones... hmmm, not very environmentally friendly?
    Gee. What about animal friendly? Plastic only a byproduct of petroleum.

  5. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    When I was working in NZ over 15yrs ago, I joined a group of ex-Malaysian state and district players. They were using plastic shuttles as in those days in NZ, cost of feather shuttles was very expensive in NZ then (much more affordable nowadays it seems).

    I was using feather shuttles before that. Switching to the plastics, I find the main difference was the amount of spin you could induce was practically none!!! Otherwise it provided uniform flight. Once the plastic shuttles start speeding up, you know it's time to change.

    We were playing in temperatures between 16-22C using Yonex Mavis 350 (Blue). The Carlton equivalent (Green) flight characteristics were almost feather-like but durability was not as good as the Mavis 350.

  6. #23
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,480
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hew128 View Post
    When I was working in NZ over 15yrs ago, I joined a group of ex-Malaysian state and district players. They were using plastic shuttles as in those days in NZ, cost of feather shuttles was very expensive in NZ then (much more affordable nowadays it seems).

    I was using feather shuttles before that. Switching to the plastics, I find the main difference was the amount of spin you could induce was practically none!!! Otherwise it provided uniform flight. Once the plastic shuttles start speeding up, you know it's time to change.

    We were playing in temperatures between 16-22C using Yonex Mavis 350 (Blue). The Carlton equivalent (Green) flight characteristics were almost feather-like but durability was not as good as the Mavis 350.
    please elaborate the lack of spin for i am curious. when i slice the plastic shuttle i can see the plastic "fins" spin one way then back (i'm a lefty) if it's a forward slice. maybe a feather shuttle spins even more????

  7. #24
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,200
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    please elaborate the lack of spin for i am curious. when i slice the plastic shuttle i can see the plastic "fins" spin one way then back (i'm a lefty) if it's a forward slice. maybe a feather shuttle spins even more????
    yep... you can impart way more slice and spin on feathers

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Mavis shuttles we were using then (over 15yrs ago) were not really "spinnable" eg slice the feather portion during serve or do a chopping smash.

    Have not played with plastics again since, so do not know if it still applies.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore - Central
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wguan126 View Post
    Gee. What about animal friendly? Plastic only a byproduct of petroleum.
    Actually I'm not too sure how the feathers are harvested. I'd like to think that the geese/ducks would have been slaughtered anyway for their meat, or that the animals were plucked and the feathers allowed to re-grow.
    Therefore no animals were intentionally harmed specifically to obtain the feathers for producing shuttlecocks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •