Shaft Stiffness

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mjwhitfield, Oct 4, 2003.

1. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    No jokes about the choice of topic title please! This isn’t “Carry On Badminton Central”!

Can someone explain to me what difference the stiffness of the shaft makes to your racket? When is it preferable to have one that flexes more than one that doesn’t? Etc… stuff like that.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Pop some popcorn and clear your schedule cuz you'll be busy reading for the next few weeks.

Attached Files:

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Here's the gist:
    • Optimum power comes from having the right relative stiffness given your swing speed.
    • Relative stiffness depends upon head heaviness and shaft stiffness.
    • lighter head and stiffer shaft both makes the racquet have a higher relative stiffness
    • using a racquet with a higher relative stiffness higher than your optimum will give you more power but less control
    • using a racquet with a lower relative stiffness higher than your optimum will give you less power but more control
    • having a stiffer shaft allows you to use a heavier head while retaining the same relative stiffness which (often) gives you more.

Those are the typical views. My own personal views are slightly different--if you want to find out about those you'll have to do a search.

4. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    There's actually a machine to measure the frequency of golf club shaft. I should try taking my racquets to the club shop and see if they can be measured, it would be interesting to see, esp. comparison between mp99 and mp100!

5. Toaster

Toaster Regular Member

when u gona do the mp100 and mp99 comparison?
    can't wait to find out what they like

make sure u use genuine original yonex racquets....