User Tag List

Thread: Yonex options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yonex options

Hello, I'm trying to pick a racket in the $70-90 range. I hear Yonex is the best brand but am stuck between the Sabre, Nanospeed, and Voltric models. They have different specs but I'm not quite sure what the significance is. For example, what is the practical difference as to whether the racket is stiff or flexible? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

per your example, a stiffer racket will require a faster swing speed to produce the same kind of power as one that is more flexible.

generally speaking, a head heavy racket will give you more power and a head light racket will give you faster reaction speed. even balance is a bit of both, but not best on either. unfortunately, there is no best brand, but whatever you feel in your hand is best.

victor, wilson, carlton, li ning, in my opinion, are just as good as yonex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To say a brand is better than another is not possible. You need to look ón your style of play to get the right racket. Single vs dobble 50/50 or 30/70 ? Are you a big hitter or more the finesse type, swingspeed ? Personally i Think the single most important stat ón the racket is the shaft flex. And then you choose between headlight or headheawy, too Many play a racket that are too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$70-$90 won't buy you a decent Yonex unfortunately. I think you're better off with Carltons and Wilsons. I've been itching to buy a Vertex II...

Totally agree with Holmp that a racket is but an extension of your playing style. I guess it'll come with more experience with a wider variety of rackets. I've got 35 for now so I can pretty much tell which ones I'm more comfortable with

If you're not sure on which to use, then I suggest you go with a slightly head heavy medium-hard flex racket with a moderate string tension. After that you adjust to fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Desouled View Post
    .... If you're not sure on which to use, then I suggest you go with a slightly head heavy medium-hard flex racket with a moderate string tension. After that you adjust to fit.
    Well, that is the specs of a Yonex Voltric 3, 5 or 7 ... just within range of your budget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxout View Post
    Well, that is the specs of a Yonex Voltric 3, 5 or 7 ... just within range of your budget
    My bet's on the 7. Most user-friendly of the lot. Nice red color too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies. I am more of a quick-reaction (defensive) player; my smashes and serves are worse than some competitive players, and my power could use some help. What would be best for that style?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I am more of a quick-reaction (defensive) player; my smashes and serves are worse than some competitive players, and my power could use some help. What would be best for that style?
    In that case Nanospeed will be ideal or if I may suggest, my favourite - Carbonex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still go for the VT7 though. It's 4U so I think it'll be good for your defensive play, and the head heaviness will add to the power for clears and smashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks - generally, is it better to get a racket that maximizes a strength (speed/reflex) or compensates for weakness (power/accuracy) ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks - generally, is it better to get a racket that maximizes a strength (speed/reflex) or compensates for weakness (power/accuracy) ?
    That depends on what you want to achieve. I'd buy something that maximized my strengths, that way I will feel better while playing. At the same time I'd work on improving the technique to remove the weakness. Finally, I'd have a win-win situation.
    Last edited by sayshh; 11-09-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree ón the part of maximizing your strenth. The question is only does your bodytype and condition support what u want. If u want succes A's a defensive player u must be the player ón the cort with the Best stamina otherwise you Will loose, try and look op a guy called Morten frost hé could not hit a desent smash but still managed to be pretty good :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd work on accuracy and control. In my opinion, the other three mean little without it. I've given up great smashing rackets in favor of a better control on the shuttle. The right racket to me puts the shuttle where I want it to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holmp View Post
    I totally agree ón the part of maximizing your strenth. The question is only does your bodytype and condition support what u want. If u want succes A's a defensive player u must be the player ón the cort with the Best stamina otherwise you Will loose, try and look op a guy called Morten frost hé c

Bould not hit a desent smash but still managed to be pretty good :-)

BTW, do you know that top players during Morten Frost era ( maybe including him too ! ) used Carbonex 20 or 21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for "control of the shuttle" what does that mean - tighter strings, flexible shaft?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for "control of the shuttle" what does that mean - tighter strings, flexible shaft?

Thanks!
    It's different for each player. I guess it comes with trying out rackets of all types to get something you are comfortable with. But player technique plays a larger part in this equation.