User Tag List

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IBL launches school badminton programme

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/05/3...ton-programme/

EXCERPTS:

The Indian Badminton League School Programme (IBLSP) today launched ‘Shuttle Express’, the biggest school championship to promote the sport across India. Under IBLSP, badminton icons like Olympic medallist Saina Nehwal, former all-England champion Pullela Gopichand, Jwala Gutta, Ashwini Ponnappa, Parupalli Kashyap and P.V. Sindhu will visit school campuses across India to promote badminton and encourage around five lakh students from more than 120 schools in six different cities.

The ‘Shuttle Express’ will offer Rs.10 lakh in prize money to the winners in both the boys and girls singles events. The events will be held in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Lucknow and Pune.

The finalists will also be given an opportunity to train at the Pullela Gopichand Academy in Hyderabad.

The programme will be held in three phases to scout talent and will be an intra-school competition July 12-14 while the national finals will be conducted in Mumbai Aug 28-31.

Speaking about Shuttle Express, president of Badminton Association of India (BAI) Akhilesh Das Gupta said: “As a former player who benefited enormously from an active school environment for badminton, I am confident that Shuttle Express will provide a great platform and opportunity to thousands of badminton-loving children to fulfil their aspirations and motivate them to take the sport as a career.”

Shuttler Saina Nehwal said: “It is nice to see that badminton as a sport is being promoted among kids. Shuttle Express will not only generate huge interest amongst the young but also give them the opportunity to get their talent recognised.”

If the sport has become this much popular, i wanna give the credit to none other than SAINA NEHWAL.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sachin Tendulkar to own an Indian Badminton League (IBL) team?

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/185048...eague-ibl-team

EXCERPTS:

Officials tight-lipped but Sachin is believed to have bought Mumbai franchise in million-dollar badminton league.

Sachin Tendulkar

The deck is cleared for the million-dollar Indian Badminton League (IBL) with Hyderabad-based PVP group being named the first franchise in the six-team tournament that runs from August 14-31 across cities.

The names of the five other franchises are being kept under wraps for completion of paper work. According to highly-reliable sources, Sachin Tendulkar has come forward to promote the sport and own a team, which in all probability would be Mumbai Masters.

“I would say it is too early, and I would not like to take any names, but a prominent cricketer will be the owner of the Mumbai team,” said a source.

“We have finalised all the franchises and PVP group are our first,” said Ashish Chadha, CEO of Sporty Solutionz (the commercial partners for IBL), of the Hyderabad-based multi-business house that has interest in realty, media and entertainment.

The other franchise owners could be Dabur (Promoters) for Pune team and Sahara India for Lucknow, though no official confirmation has come from the organisers. It is also learnt that the Bangalore and Delhi franchises could be owned by corporates from the real estate business.

“PVP Group are the first, and the rest are finalised but for the paper work. We will come out with the names as and when the paper work is done with,”
    Chadha added.

IBL, which will see some of the world’s leading shuttlers including the best from India, will be played in all the six cities, each hosting the others in a two-day leg. The top four franchises will clash in the semifinals. The winners will meet in the final on August 31 in Mumbai.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 3 groups have brought the Mumbai team and Sachin is one of the partners. If so, great for the game and it's publicity.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tendulkar owning one of the teams? That's really cool!

....So long they don't try using cricket bats on court. haha.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indian Badminton League: Chinese, Indonesian, Korean players to take part

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/b...s-to-take-part

EXCERPTS:

Contrary to media reports, top badminton stars from leading Asian countries like Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, China and Malaysia will be taking part in the Indian Badminton League (IBL).

Badminton Association of India (BAI) on Saturday said that IBL has already received confirmation from top shuttlers from Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and China in addition to 12 other leading badminton nations across continents.

The player auction of the IPL will take place in New Delhi on July 19. The IBL Auction will feature almost all the world top-50 players in both men's and women's categories and the current pool of 150 players for the auction is likely to increase as the last date for entry is July 5.

"We would like to keep the facts straight. A lot of effort has gone in to build the IBL and we are confident of putting up a great show as promised. For the record, seven men players in the top-10 world ranking and six players in the women's top-10 rankings have confirmed with a total of 112 foreign players having signed up for IBL till now," said Ashish Chadha, CEO Sporty Solutionz, the 'Commercial Partner' to the IBL

World No.7 and the winner of the recent Singapore Open, Indonesian's Tommy Sugiarto leads the Indonesian parade, along with Sony Kuncoro and Lindaweni Fanetri, who are respectively the men's world No. 10 and women's world No.11. Hong Kong's Hu Hyun, the men's world No.6, Japan's Kenichi Tago, the men's world No.5 and women's world No.10 Minatsu Mitani, and South Korea's bronze medallist in the 2012 London Olympics, Lee Yong-Dae are the other top names who will figure in the bidding process.

As expected, men's world No.1 from Malaysia, 'Datuk' Lee Chong Wei is set to go under the hammer at the IBL Players Auction. The other top-10 men player who have confirmed are - world No.4 Boonsak Ponsana from Thailand and Vietnam's Tien Minh Nguyen.

The $1-million Indian Badminton League is set to launch on August 14, 2013, with some high-voltage action expected between Hyderabad Hotshots and Karnataka Kings. The 2013 IBL will feature six franchises and will run for 18 days. Each franchise will host a two-day leg and the League will showcase a grand total of 90 matches.

The top four franchisee in the League will clash in the semifinals and the winners will meet in the grand final August 31, which will be played out in Mumbai, for the richest prize money tournament in badminton till now.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton stars gear up for IBL by playing cricket

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/07/0...aying-cricket/

EXCERPTS:

“Is this what it takes to get your attention?” These were the words by Indian Badminton League (IBL) stars like Saina Nehwal and many others.

For a tournament copied from Indian Premier League (IPL), IBL seems to be trying its best to get attention, or at least that is what their promotional campaign suggests.

With the first edition of IBL just six weeks away, a lot of people have been trying to raise interest in the franchise-based competition consisting of six teams. The very first promotional event takes a dig at India’s most popular sport.

The idea was to be as sarcastic as possible. The shuttlers, wearing cricketing gear, played cricketing shots using badminton rackets and challenged the spectators, asking whether badminton needs to be played in cricket style to get noticed.

Saina Nehwal, in her all earnestness, appealed: “Is this what it takes to get your attention?”

On wearing pads and gloves, Saina said: “It was fun. I had never done anything like this before.”

“The shoot was fun. Hopefully, people will like what I did. This is an innovative concept. Cricket is obviously the most popular sport and Badminton is trying to become one of the big sports. This is a great way to promote the IBL,” she continued.

Jwala Gutta, the controversial shuttler, said: “This is a very fresh and innovative concept. I like the way they take a dig at cricket. It looks like the IBL will make an impact.”

Ashwini and Jwala made an entrance like a pair of openers in cricket.
    They then punched gloves, wore their helmets and proceeded to hit the shuttlecock out of the court.

Gopi, meanwhile, used a cricket bat to hit shuttlecocks to the ‘slip cordon’ while Saina played a few strokes with her racquet.

If this is the benchmark for thinking behind the IBL, the inaugural edition of the tournament promises some fun times ahead.

Name:  bat for badminton_0_0_0_0.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  43.7 KB

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rashid Sidek to coach Indian Badminton League's Delhi franchise

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/jul...-franchise.htm

It was also announced that former World No 1 and legendary Malaysian shuttler Rashid Sidek will coach the Delhi Smashers.

Rashid Sidek
    Speaking on his appointment, Sidek said, “This is a historic moment for badminton. It will be a great challenge to bind players from different nationalities and background and I’m looking forward to the IBL.”

Sidek won the Thomas Cup, the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bronze and two Commonwealth Games gold medals during his career. After retiring, Sidek was instrumental in motivating and coaching the new generation of Malaysian players, including current World No 1 Lee Chong Wei.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, this league is a breakthrough for badminton, not just in India, but also in the world.
    money prize is quite high....
    thumbs up !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks fantastic! Can't wait to see how it progresses!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY!!!I wanted this...Star Sports has won the rights for TV broadcast...so atleast many people would have access to watch this in India...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sania Mirza signed as brand ambassador of Delhi franchise in Indian Badminton League

Sania tried her hand at badminton on the sidelines of the function and played a short-duration friendly match with a local female player. Mirza said badminton holds a lot of promise in India with the likes of Saina Nehwal and Ashwini Ponappa performing well at the international level.

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/b...dminton-league

EXCERPTS:

Business conglomerate Krrish Group on Friday named Indian tennis star Sania Mirza as the brand ambassador of its Delhi franchise in the upcoming Indian Badminton League (IBL).

Krrish Group, which deals in distillery, breweries, construction and real estate, will make its debut in sports arena with the IBL and has named its franchise "Delhi Smashers".

"It's an amazing concept and I wish the Delhi franchise all luck in the IBL. I hope to attend a few games and try to find some time from my busy schedule. It's great to be announced the brand ambassador of the franchise," Mirza told reporters here.

"Badminton is different to my racquet sport. I haven't played badminton for a long...may be after 20 years I think. The whole concept is amazing. With the IPL doing so well and with the tennis, we are also starting ITPL which Mahesh (Bhupathi) is doing. Right now, badminton does have a certain star power and I think there's no reason for it not to work," she added.

Sania tried her hand at badminton on the sidelines of the function and played a short-duration friendly match with a local female player.

Mirza said badminton holds a lot of promise in India with the likes of Saina Nehwal and Ashwini Ponnappa performing well at the international level.

"I would like to say I am honoured to play for India for so long. Shuttlers like Saina, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa are playing so well for India which augurs well for the sport. It's great for badminton and it's great for sportswomen in the country," she said.

Asked whether youngsters need to look beyond cricket in India, Sania replied,"I have been asked this question for over the last 20 years!"

"I have never competed with cricket and that's never our goal really. Our goal is to try and do well in the sport that we have chosen, that's what we are trying to do."

"I am here today as a sportsperson, not badminton not my sport, its a sport which needs a lot of attention, encouragement and a lot of push to become a very big sport in the country. With people like Saina Nehwal, we are able to set the standards high in badminton. We can say that we are world beaters in badminton," she added.

The Gurgaon-based business group has appointed former World No 1 Rashid Sidek as the chief coach of the side. The Malaysian had won the Thomas Cup and an Olympic bronze medal. The USD one-million IBL is set to launch on August 14, 2013, with a clash between Hyderabad Hotshots and Banga Beats.

The 2013 IBL will feature six franchises and will run for 18 days. Each franchise will host a two-day leg and the League will showcase a grand total of 90 matches.

The top four franchises in the League will clash in the semifinals and the winners will meet in the grand finale on August 31, which will be played in Mumbai.
    Last edited by scorpion1; 07-13-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is impressive stuff, really helping to make badminton a professional sport. Surely this will do a lot for the development and incentive for future Indian players and all at the cost of.... oh wait everybody involved should make money eventually, brilliant!

What date do the players get auctioned? Read it somewhere forgot now cant find

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    This is impressive stuff, really helping to make badminton a professional sport. Surely this will do a lot for the development and incentive for future Indian players and all at the cost of.... oh wait everybody involved should make money eventually, brilliant!

What date do the players get auctioned? Read it somewhere forgot now cant find
    19 th of this month.. Korean badminton association has accepted the offer allowing their players to play IBL with one condition.. They wanted IBL organisation to make sure(definitely) that all their players (players who got invitation) got auctioned. Strange.. This is totally out of context to the name "AUCTION" ...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    19 th of this month.. Korean badminton association has accepted the offer allowing their players to play IBL with one condition.. They wanted IBL organisation to make sure(definitely) that all their players (players who got invitation) got auctioned. Strange.. This is totally out of context to the name "AUCTION" ...
    wow pretty strange, already big politics, crazy that the organisation can influence the franchises to have to bid on certain players like that.

Thought there was many players accepted invitation with few places available how many in total places for foreign players? Would have been pretty embarrassing I suppose if nobody bid for LYD. Do you know how many Korean accepted invitation?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    wow pretty strange, already big politics, crazy that the organisation can influence the franchises to have to bid on certain players like that.

Thought there was many players accepted invitation with few places available how many in total places for foreign players? Would have been pretty embarrassing I suppose if nobody bid for LYD. Do you know how many Korean accepted invitation?
    I am not aware of these things.. I read in one article about the news. That's why shared it with you.. LYD is famous here. Lee Chong Wei and LYD are exceptional here. Fan followings are huge..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sahara buys Indian Badminton League's Lucknow franchise

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21107666.cms

EXCERPTS:

Sahara India Pariwar today joined the Indian Badminton League (IBL) as it bought the Lucknow franchise ahead of the inaugural first-of-its-kind event in the sport to be played August 14 to 31.

A major business conglomerate and the prime promoter and patron of sports in India, Sahara's Lucknow franchisee will be one of the six teams to be competing in the championship.

Speaking on the occasion, Subrata Roy Sahara Managing Worker & Chairman of the company said, "We are proud to associate with this initiative of Badminton Association of India. Indian Badminton League will boost the sports of Badminton and will redraw the attention of people towards it.

"I am sure that sure that the league will also help in identifying fresh talent and will give a platform of international standard for grooming and competing, eventually bringing laurels to our beloved nation."

Akhilesh Das, president, Badminton Association of India, said, "I am grateful to 'Saharasri' and Sahara India Pariwar, for coming forward in support of Badminton. The Group has always accorded priority to various forms of sports and I hope this will encourage other corporates to come forward in support of the game of Badminton."

Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Delhi, Bangalore and Lucknow are the six cities that will feature in the first edition of IBL.

Each franchise will host a two-day leg and the USD one million event will have a grand total of 90 matches. The top four franchises will clash in the semifinals and the winners will meet in the grand final on August 31 in Mumbai.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    I see Indonesia doing the same thing and Jan looking for guaranteed bigger money according to this article.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...-solutionz-ibl
    Top Indonesian players like Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Tommy Sugiarto, Taufik Hidayat, Lindaweni Fanetri and the top doubles teams too have not given their consent so far. The Indonesian federation has said that it will send its players only on the guarantee that all of them will be sold during the auction.
    Though a few Malaysians have agreed to be part of the league, world No.1 Lee Chong Wei has been maintaining a silence on the event. To add to the organisers' woes, renowned singles player Jan O Jorgensen of Denmark has asked for $90,000 (Rs 54 lakh) as base price but the organizers are in no position to give such a guarantee.
    On the women's front, exciting teen talent Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand, who has troubled Saina Nehwal of late, will be missing the action.
    The worried organizers have sent an SOS to BAI asking them to talk to Yonex and at least get Lee Chong Wei, Ratchanok Intanon and the colourful Taufik Hidayat for the event.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast