Indian Badminton League (IBL)

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by depleter, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    IPL-style badminton league in 2013, $1mn prize money.

http://www.rediff.com/sports/report/ipl-style-badminton-league-in-2013-1mn-prize-money/20121110.htm

#1 depleter, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/11/10/ipl-style-badminton-tournament-next-year/

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/11/10/badminton-india-ipl-saina-ibl-idINDEE8A904R20121110

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/291341/indian-badminton-league-take-off.html

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The funniest thing in this article is that ponappa and gutta are 50k, yet foreigners are £25k. Discrimination much? Those 2 are not worth 5k let alone 50k.

4. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    So,as the IBL is officially announced today...Here is a promo in the official channel.I personally think it's a bit overdone but we can cope with it...:cool:
    [video=youtube;_gbCEIRtv4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gbCEIRtv4c[/video]

5. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Common man,that's what the press asked too...But in an auction system the base price would not matter.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Lets be fair, if the base price was 50k, I can't see anyone who'd pay that if you have Chinese, Indonesian, Korean (heck even the Malaysian WD pairs)

They're not worth 50k. End of.

Saina might be, but these two aren't

7. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I think so you did not quite get the concept actually.The league only allows a limited amount of foreign players in a team and the rest Indian players.This was the concept used in IPL and IBL is following that now.So,as the bidders are limited in terms of foreign players they have to go for Indian players there.And for the context with no offence to anyone many Indians does not even know the names of chen long,yihan wang,xin wang or even lee chong wei or lindan.And here in this concept the bidders or the team franchises does not get their income from prize money but get their income from other things related to popularity in India.So,naturally Indian players are sold to a greater price than others.

8. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    As you asked I would post the first ever auction list of IPL.There you can clearly see that even a higher base price player can be left unsold and a lower baseprice player can get more after the auction.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2008/feb/20table.htm

Attached Files:

#8 depleter, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I understand the concept completely, but what I am saying is why would you take this pair for 100k, when you can have a lower grade pair for this event, and save your $ for the big names.

The marketing of this event cannot be very good if you do not know who LD and LCW is. They are the best players of the last 10 years and yet you're telling me that you want to hold a $1M event when fans will be wondering who on earth are these players?

10. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    It's just simple,you can actually see the other list I provided after auctions of Ipl...the Indian players naturally got more than the other players.It's just that many fans In India don't know other players even players like lin dan or lee chong wei.The problem is that many don't even have the source to know them as the badminton tournaments are not aired in main sports channels preferred by cable operators.So,the only source they can depend on is News papers or Internet.And in India all we can see in news papers about badminton is only saina and sometimes about other Indian players.

11. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    You are right, but what depleter is saying is not wrong either. Of course the base price for LD, LCW and other top players is not justified. But once the auction starts I am pretty sure their price will multiply by many folds. Having said that I still cant understand by what logic they decided the base price.

The only thing I can think of, as depleter pointed out, is the popularity of the players among the Indian population. Majority of the Indian population is ignorant of the many of the top badminton stars for the lack of media coverage. Indian media broadcasts matches of Indian players only, well most of the times.

But once the IBL kicks off it will give people a chance to know about them and their popularity will rise.
    All we need is IBL to succeed, once that happens then it will open the flood gates. This happened in cricket through IPL. Hundreds of relatively unknown players, those who were languishing in obscurity, started earning hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions. I hope this brings same kind of fortune to our beloved badminton players not just Indian but to players of all nations.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...adminton-League-icon/articleshow/17171851.cms

Excerpt:

Asked why someone like Wei (sic) would accept a base price of USD 25,000, when Kashyap was getting at least double that as his fees, Chadha said the Malaysian star and all others would be put up for the players' auction, where his price would be determined.

Present at the launch, Saina said, "It's a historic moment for Indian badminton. The game has become bigger and that's why this is happening. Like the IPL in cricket, there is a lot of interest and I hope it is really successful."

13. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Not sure if my guess is correct, but going by the Cricket IPL, even if Jwala and Ponnappa are in one team, they might not play together... Jwala could partner with, say, Ma Jin or Yong Dae Lee!

It will be played in Sudirman format. So I guess they wouldnt allow more than 3-4 foreign players in overall MS, WS, MD, WD,XD event.

#13 paroxysmal, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    yupp!I don't even think that they would end up in same team.

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This is IBL not CBSL. This is for indians. And if we feel like calling chinese, they can come and earn. So better stop making fun out of anything.. What did you find funny in this?.. Indian haters..!!!

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    If they pay jwala/aswini, the franchise can retrieve that money using all other things like ads, marketing. Because these players' names are marketable in India. Lin dan may be familiar in china, but he is considered as one of the badminton players in india. Even Lee chong wei is popular here but not lindan.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Watch it or the mighty sword of the mods might need to be drawn.;)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    *Pedantry interjection* Surely you mean. "mighty pen?" ;) Or, better yet, "Mighty Mouse?" :p

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    IBL a major boost for Indian icons

MUMBAI, November 12, 2012
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/ibl-a-major-boost-for-indian-icons/article4088296.ece

Excerpts:

Five icon players identified for six franchise teams may not be the only brick missing in the Indian Badminton League project. ...presumably the sixth may also be a yet unnamed Indian international.

...Availability of top-notch players from China is another grey area, viewed against the Chinese federation’s reluctance to expose its best players during international competitions as part of the strategy.

...“The IBL will offer attractive appearance money to all players. The winning franchise will take home more than Rs. 3.5 crore,” he said. For now, 24 foreigners will be signed up by six franchises (four per team). None of them are listed among the icons, a factor which will not affect their desire to take part, according to Chadha. The base price listed for the top 10 foreigners at the auction is $25,000 onwards, for foreigners in the top 25, $15,000 and beyond that $10,000.

“This is just the base price fixed for foreign stars, it can increase based on demand from franchises at the auction,” said the Sporty Solutionz spokesperson. Indian icons command the highest base price ($50,000), so the five internationals named above have plenty of motivation to perform in elite company.

Television coverage is an area where negotiations are in progress. “Three television companies are in touch with us for rights,” said Chadha. He had earlier informed that live telecast of 28 matches in season one would reach more than 150 countries. It is learnt that since entertainment featuring Bollywood names form part of the two-day badminton package (based on Sudirman Cup format), organisers are looking at television channels known for promoting sports and entertainment on prime time.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly,I don't see how LDrules!'s remarks could be offensive. If you put them up for auction,the bidders (the discerning ones) might even be doing just that - which franchisee wouldn't want to maximise their chances of winning by getting the best according to their budget, the prizemoney is what they are after in the end.

Honestly,if the IBL don't have world class players, the concept will end up promoting more of gambling(including illegal ones) than the popularity of the sport itself,let alone raise the level of Indian badminton.

Lin Dan and Lee CW not as well-known as the local Indian stars? That will automatically and quickly correct itself once the IBL starts as the stakeholders and bettors will make sure of that, or maybe even earlier during the auction stage.

That's why I think the Axiata Cup,though a good idea, by basically limiting it to SEA countries only (though PHI has one or two foreigners) will generally benefit the weaker badminton countries more, say PHI, Vietnam, in terms of raising the popularity and level of the sport.

As for China's interest in IBL, I have some doubts. CBA,I believe, already made concessions for their national players to take part in CBSL and that's as far as they will go, for their top priority is to do honour and win glory for the nation. Still,the IBL organizer should try their best to persuade China to at least let their second stringers (many of whom are world-beaters) join IBL for mutually beneficial and obvious reasons(more to IBL's advantage).

With a sufficient number of world class players from various countries participating,the success of IBL is more assured in addition to the more important goal of contributing to raising the standard of Indian badminton.

Lastly,let's be honest, CBSL don't really need any foreign players. I'm sure they do it to add variety, entertainment value and more excitement for the viewers as their competition level is already the highest in the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.