Help needed: Different player levels

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Alberto.ph, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Alberto.ph

Alberto.ph New Member

Hi all,

Im so glad ive joined BC, loads of interesting stuff to take a look at. Anyway, i got quite a trouble with some young players we are coaching, so ill start a new thread. Probably its not the first one about this issue, but got little time to dive at forums right now.

We have started a school for young players (aged 8-15) in my badminton club. We have received five applications so far. Three girls, aged 14-15, and two 8 and 10 boys. We are quite happy about them, five players at the very beginnings of our school is a reasonable amount, in my opinion. Whats the problem then?

We are starting with two training sessions: monday and friday, and all the players cant join both, so they are distributed this way.
    -Mondays: Girl #1 aged 15, good level, good technique. Playing for 4 years.ç
    Girl #2 aged 15, just starting, nice strenght but lacking technique, logically.
    -Fridays: Girl #3 aged 15, good level, decent technique, playing for year and a half.
    Boy #1 aged 10 and boy #2 aged 8, just starting. Basic knowledge.

We would want to take Girl #2 and #3 together to improve footwork, tactics, advanced strikes like more powerful smashes, deceptive shots... you know. Other players need to improve the basics and learn their first movements.

But they actually cant change their schedules. So...

We really need advice on how to arrange our training methods so we can encourage all kind of gameplays and levels here. We got some ideas, but any help would be much appreciated.

Have Fun,

Alberto

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If they cannot change schedules, they you don't have a choice of putting them together.

My suggestion is to train them like a one-on-one private lesson until you get more children in.

Then at certain times on weekend e.g. once every 4-6 weeks, get them together for an extra session.

Do you have a website for your club? Having some information on the internet can help parents look at what you have to offer without having to pickup the phone.

3. Alberto.ph

Alberto.ph New Member

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, we do have a website with all kind of info, updated news, forms to register... The players and their parents knew they would be able to play just one session a week at the very moment they joined.

You can take a look at it here, but its in spanish ^^
    http://www.badmintonarriaga.es

I like your point of view: single lessons is probably the best option for them. But... If they can start with only one session a week we would like to maximize the results for the time they are playing, so we absolutely need to arrange some kind of training that could fit all levels without any player being bored or overwhelmed. Thats the point we are moving at.

Anyway, as said before, thank you for your time.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Apart from fitness training I think it is really difficult to manage to differing abilities in the same group. You'll just have to do your training drills that are aimed for various abilities - something for everyone.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I meant the lesson should be one student to one coach lessons. To make it more interesting you may want to find a young adult to share the session and make it two students to one trainer. You can then cope with the different level of play of the two students.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That defeats the whole point of a course where costs for students are massively reduced because they don't have to pay for 1-on-1 coaching.

If I was paying for my kid to go to a course, and I ended up subsidising someone else's child for 1-on-1 coaching I would NOT be happy!

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

He didn't say what they were paying and I assume the coach is a volunteer. The information may be in the website but since I don't read spanish, I don't have that information at hand.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

a free course :eek:

9. rosskings

rosskings New Member

teacher
    GOOD,Agree, Apart from fitness training I think it is really difficult to manage to differing abilities in the same group. You'll just have to do your training drills that are aimed for various abilities - something for everyone.[​IMG]

10. roadgamethes

roadgamethes New Member

teacher
    i think so, Apart from fitness training I think it is really difficult to manage to differing abilities in the same group[​IMG]