User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by betazone View Post
    I disagree with all those who say it's of no concern, it is a big isssue and myself also hate those who do it to my racquet. Why? because when pro players do it the bend is due to the swing weight of the racquet but when someone bend it with two hands they are applying the force at all the wrong areas of the racquet.
    Seems to be a good logic, when the racket bends during the course of play, it bends where it is supposed to bend, i.e. the more flexible areas "give" (as per the manufacturing technology).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bend racquets quite often, but only about 10-20 degrees max. That is more than enough to tell if it's stiff or flexy. If it easily goes towards 20 then I let off. If it's hard to even make it go 10 then I let off.

I don't need to lay on it all the way to figure if it's stiff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingu View Post
    Hi all,

I turned my VTZF over to the head coach of our team today as he wanted to know which racket I'm using. As I did, he started bending it back and forth, to check flexibility I'm guessing, but is this healthy (so to speak) for the racket?
    I searched the forums and came across an old thread from 2005, but all I could see were opinions about it, and not anything concrete. Does anyone know, for certain, what happens if someone bends the racket to test the flex?

Truth be told, I got scared when I saw him starting to bend it as much as he did, but maybe it doesn't affect it as much as I think it does... At least it didn't break so I'm guessing it's still fine, but one thing is for certain. I'm never handing one of my rackets to him again.
    that's why nobody touches my rackets, if they want to check the flexibility, go to the freaking website and read about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by betazone View Post
    I disagree with all those who say it's of no concern, it is a big isssue and myself also hate those who do it to my racquet. Why? because when pro players do it the bend is due to the swing weight of the racquet but when someone bend it with two hands they are applying the force at all the wrong areas of the racquet.
    I fully agree ... btw, whenever someone attempts to "bend" my Cab20sp (in the past), I told him/her, you better have $$$$ ready to replace it IF I hear a "crack" or "pop" ... all stopped on the spot !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, my main point is the racquet is not designed for one to put both hands at both ends to bend it, it is designed to accept bend/flex due to the swing weight, not bare hands exerting forces at both ends of the racquet.

But then naturally the follow-up question would be:
    What's the difference between the force of bending a racket by two hands, in let us say a 10 degree angle, compared to the rackets doing it by it's own weight? It requires equally as much force to bend it 10 degrees, does it not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 2 ways to test the stiffness of the racket. One is by applying the same force and look how much it bends, and the second is by bending it at the same angle and feel how much the resistance is. If you feel a lot of rackets, not much force is nescessary. I do not like the idea bending with too much force. It's Flex, mid or stiff. No need for categories in between.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonexFan View Post
    There are 2 ways to test the stiffness of the racket. One is by applying the same force and look how much it bends, and the second is by bending it at the same angle and feel how much the resistance is. If you feel a lot of rackets, not much force is nescessary. I do not like the idea bending with too much force. It's Flex, mid or stiff. No need for categories in between.
    Well put! I was trying to say that but you explained it much better. I go with the same angle but measure force technique and usually I'm at about 15 or so degrees average (assuming my mind isn't playing tricks on me). I also don't keep it bent, the moment it gets to about 15 or so I let off and basically try to estimate how much force I have used to get it to 15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you guys are saying. Truth be told, I never bend my rackets AT ALL or anyone else's for that matter. The only thing I tend to do when I ask to see someone's racket is to slap it's string bed against my palm to check what kind of tension it has.

In any case, lesson learned. I'm never handing out my racket again unless it's an emergency. My poor baby ;_; The only thing I've thought about these past two days is "Is my racket alright?". I have practice tomorrow so we'll see then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I see what you guys are saying. Truth be told, I never bend my rackets AT ALL or anyone else's for that matter. The only thing I tend to do when I ask to see someone's racket is to slap it's string bed against my palm to check what kind of tension it has.

In any case, lesson learned. I'm never handing out my racket again unless it's an emergency. My poor baby ;_; The only thing I've thought about these past two days is "Is my racket alright?". I have practice tomorrow so we'll see then.
    there's no such thing as badminton emergency in my book. so i always bring enough gear for me so i don't ask to borrow others, in turn, i don't lend out my gear. and if all five strings snapped on all five rackets, then it's a bad day for me and i shouldn't be playing LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2