rackets. offense/defense vs. single/doubles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Apr 5, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    confused, i am. i have been reading about rackets and stuff and people tells me that, a heavier slower racket is good for singles, and a lighter faster racket is good for doubles. naive that i am, i believe them. for the past couple of years, i have been using that as a guideline.

now that i have used more rackets, i started to wonder: is it, REALLY????

why does doubles need a lighter racket? and why does single benefit from a heavier racket? when i play doubles and use a light racket, my offense is weak. when i play singles with a heavier racket, i have problems doing wrist shots.

people say, in singles, there are more time to get to the shots and allows time to swing a heavier racket. maybe you are a better player than me, but whenever i play singles with a similar opponent, i hardly have enough time to spare when i managed run back and reach that darn feather thing. where as, in doubles, all i need to do is stand at the back and move sideways, and then wham down whatever feather that comes my way.

nowadays, i use a heavier racket to play doubles, and a lighter racket to play singles. just the opposite of what everyone tells me. or maybe i just want to be different?

so here is what i think is the right characterization:

- if a racket is heavy, it should be characterized as an offensive racket.
    - if a racket is light, it should be characterized as a defensive racket.

to me, this makes sense. as one can be defensive or offensive, doubles or single player.

and this make me happy, as i can now tell my friend, i am an offensive doubles player, and a defensive singles player.

thanks for listening to my babbling.

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    I'd have to agree with that...there isnt much time in singles to get a good swing with a heavier racquet..and in doubles, theres more time to swing because there is someone helping you hit...
    so yes, a heavier racquet is better for doubles...unless ur playing front

3. david

david Guest

I think you should use one racket (either heavy or light) for both singles and doubles. Badminton is such a fast game that my brain do not have time to react to heavy or light weight racket that is in my hand Once I am used to the racket, I can make much better shots! Right?

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no, it's not babbling, it's call self realization and awareness, ie experience. As u know, i have avoided this offense/defense vs double/single debate. It is hard for me to debate this matter when other opinion were based on other people saying, not on underlying fundamentals.

5. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

I guess you just have to find that good light offensive racquet. No use looking for a heavy defensive one.

The search continues...

6. Terence

Terence Guest

Obviously there are countless type of racket in the market.So....
    choose a racket that u feel comfortable wth it u,after all u are the one using it,not us,do u agree?Remember u are human and u are the one who control the racket,NOT THE RACKET WHICH CONTROL U !!! kwun wrote:
    >
    > confused, i am. i have been reading about rackets and
    > stuff and people tells me that, a heavier slower racket is
    > good for singles, and a lighter faster racket is good for
    > doubles. naive that i am, i believe them. for the past couple
    > of years, i have been using that as a guideline.
    >
    > now that i have used more rackets, i started to wonder: is
    > it, REALLY????
    >
    > why does doubles need a lighter racket? and why does single
    > benefit from a heavier racket? when i play doubles and use a
    > light racket, my offense is weak. when i play singles with a
    > heavier racket, i have problems doing wrist shots.
    >
    > people say, in singles, there are more time to get to the
    > shots and allows time to swing a heavier racket. maybe you
    > are a better player than me, but whenever i play singles with
    > a similar opponent, i hardly have enough time to spare when i
    > managed run back and reach that darn feather thing. where as,
    > in doubles, all i need to do is stand at the back and move
    > sideways, and then wham down whatever feather that comes my
    > way.
    >
    > nowadays, i use a heavier racket to play doubles, and a
    > lighter racket to play singles. just the opposite of what
    > everyone tells me. or maybe i just want to be different?
    >
    > so here is what i think is the right characterization:
    >
    > - if a racket is heavy, it should be characterized as an
    > offensive racket.
    > - if a racket is light, it should be characterized as a
    > defensive racket.
    >
    > to me, this makes sense. as one can be defensive or
    > offensive, doubles or single player.
    >
    > and this make me happy, as i can now tell my friend, i am an
    > offensive doubles player, and a defensive singles player.
    >
    > thanks for listening to my babbling.

7. Marcel

Marcel Guest

I'll agree with you! I use just one racket (Ti10). It suits me fine in the singles and the doubles.

I think once you get used to it it doesn't make any difference if you get al light or a heavy racket.

8. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Whoa, now you're really human!!!

Hey, you finally understood!

I'm not sure where you got the other advice or knowledge from.
    I was under the impression you knew what Yonex's blabbing in their catalogues was all about. :p

Anywho... that is the correct generalization.
    However, I guess there is no right or wrong when it comes to people's opinions.
    Just mis-information as Cheung reminded me of. :)

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Re: Whoa, now you're really human!!!

Aaahhhhhaaa! So my post from a week or two back is finally answered. It's all a matter of personal preference and there is no generally accepted definition for a "singles" racquet or a "doubles" racquet.

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

You asked that a week ago?

I'm sure I said the same thing at least a month and a half ago now... hmm probably lost my post somewhere in all this sea of racquet talk.

There is not right or wrong when it comes to racquet type.
    I've said that before.
    It's all personal preference, and your own opinion.
    What I play with, will not necessarily work for you.
    Also you may not get the same results, just like us as people... we're all individuals, and each of us unique.
    Play style, and performance also varies along the same path. :)

That's why I don't like to recommend racquets for people, nor do I really encourage others to do that.
    It's like a try before you buy sort of scenario with our sport.

Oh!
    That's one idea I wanted to incorporate when I finally open up a store in a year and a half.
    I'll invite you guys up when I finally get the ball rolling after my vacation.

11. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Kelvin, actually my earlier post on this topic was three weeks ago, on March 16.

It sounds like you are planning on having an indoors court attached to your store - great idea! I presume you will also have it stocked with demos of the most popular models? The best I could do with my local dealer is take a few hits (but only a few so the painted logo on the strings stays perfect) and with the original cellophane wrapper on the grip - how the heck can you grip with slippery plastic on the handle?

How close is Calgary to Blackcomb/Whistler ski resorts? (Sorry, I'm too lazy to look at a map). Maybe a ski trip with a side excursion for badminton and shopping at your new store will be in the works as a vaction for me in a few more years.

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

LOL... sounds great to me.

Yes Indoor court, so we can play whenever we want!

I'll definitely have demo's available for play, and eventually when they go out of production, I'll either decide to sell them, or keep them.

Just depends I guess... but this idea is a few years down the road yet.

Whistler is a good 4-5 hours away, more or less... I think.
    I haven't been skiing in so long.

I only cross country ski now.

Anywho... This racquet's/pro shop will probably be one of my first ventures, after my legal contractual obligations are rolling with my "master plan"

Entrepreneur I am... many ideas I've had for a long time.
    I can't wait to get back from my vacation/research trip!! :D

13. Thomas

Thomas Guest

One racket for all

After all these years of playing and switching/trying all kinds of rackets ever created on earth, I now stick to just one racket (Ti-10) for single, double and mixed double. To me switching back and forth using different rackets can be very confusing. Believe me, keep to one and focus on /improvingdeveloping skills rather than trying everyone new racket that comes out in the market, thinking that one day you will get the best racket.

14. Alvin

Alvin Guest

i agreee with what u say man.i'm a state player in malaysia now(just a junior lah) and i think we need a lighter racquet for singles.people say that doubles have a fater pace .that's true but u have your partner helping u man.i don't feel tired using heavy racquets during doubles.instead,i think that doubles are actually easier than single.i think i don't really don't have any time to spare in singles and i think it's very much faster.maybe it's because of the opponents' skills.

Tips:u can smash much stronger when your racquet grip is thin.don't go on overlaping your racquet with thicker grips.