VT80 revitalised

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bazzaman, Nov 12, 2012.

1. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    My VT80 had been untouched for almost a year because I couldnt get enough power out of it. It was strung with bg80@25 at the shop. I restrang it a month later at 26 with bg80 and still preferred light/even balance. I'd try it every now and then, then put it back in the bag.

I've been playing quite poorly the last half year, and couldnt even clear properly, my bh was a joke. A badminton buddy saw the unused VT80 and said that its a great power racquet. There and then I decided to string it at 28lbs (2 past the warranty tension) and give it the all or nothing. I had nbg99 lying around so used that. I was expecting a horrible, tennis elbow inducing experience. Boy was I wrong. The racquet came alive.

Some racquets were meant for high tensions. I only had it strung at 24lbs because thats my normal tension (and money saving). The guy who sold it recommended 26lbs. I'm actually hitting harder with less effort but the timing is a bit off.

Well I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts, as 1 clash = boom.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Glad to hear you are back on court:)

3. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Back on court but move around like an old man :crying:

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Some people are never satisfied...LOL

5. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    What racket did you use before the VT80 the past half year?
    I've noticed lately that I'm not getting getting any power from my VT70 anymore.
    I use the VT70 in doubles for faster swing, but comparing the power to my VT80 and VTZF, the VT70 falls short nowadays.

6. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    All head light/even balance. A joobong jpsee and some yonex at700 clones. Unless my VT80 breaks or I tire too fast I'm not gonna get a newer VT. Was considering nanoray but I'm gonna stick to head heavy for now.

7. wning

wning Regular Member

Hey Bazzaman, I had similar problem (on and off) with my AT-700 ist Gen. though I did not change my tension @22LBs. I had a tournament last month and it started out great and in the middle of the tournament. I started to lose power and couldn't not play with it anymore...maybe I should restring it @ a higher tension (25lbs). Did your condition gotten better or just tension changed that got your power back??? How is your AT-700 clones plays...same balance as the real AT-700..more or less???? When you said "some", do you mean they break easy?

8. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    The only thing that changed was the racquet. A lot of friends broke their yonexs through clashes and have changed to victor or lining

9. wning

wning Regular Member

Thanks! interesting, I've yet broke a Yonex racket through clashes, only broke them due to high tension... Can you tell me how were your Yonex Clones played....

10. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I think it has a lot to do with how hard the clash is. I've clashed a lot of times with my Yonex rackets, but never broken any of them yet, while my different doubles and mixed partners' rackets weren't so lucky (one of them being a Li-Ning). I think it all comes down to "luck", so to speak. Even if it's a different brand, be it Li-Ning or Victor, I'm not convinced that they would be able to stand clashes any better than others.

11. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    My yonex clones play quite decent and have lasted 5 years so far. The main difference is the feel and more vibration when compared to original yonex. A lot of people hate the evil Yonex company but their latest mid/top VT models do feel very solid and have a much stronger head than previous ranges.

I've clashed mt VT80 3 times so far @25lbs but now its at 28lbs i wont clash it and rather lose the point.

12. wning

wning Regular Member

OK! I am guessing the clones you got do not have the same material as the real ones. I am looking to get another racket that play similar to my AT-700 (1st Gen.) with a tiny bit less head weight...can not decide either to get the a stiffer shaft or not...want power with giving up on control.

13. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Racket similar to AT700 1st gen : Lining N90 1st gen and AT700 Premium 2012.

For those of you that feel a particular racket a little bit hard to handle for longer time, try to exercise your arm, meaning your biceps, triceps, deltoid, & wrist. If you just use the racket without training your arm, it might take longer than you could ever imagine to be able to use the racket comfortably. I know a 10 year's old boy who use Lining N90 1st gen as his primary and only rackets, playing MS and sometimes MD, before that he used N50 gen II and once he tried N90 1st gen, he gave the N50II to his younger brother and yes he trained his arm, leg, chest, everything.

My point is that to be able to play badminton more comfortable and confidence, you have to spend your time at gym.

#13 Licin, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  14. wning

wning Regular Member

agree everything you are saying Licin, hoping to get an second racket to play in the later stage of the day...just got back to badminton over a month now after long laid off, can not train much with small shoulder pain and small golfer elbow right now. My game had change a lot from smashing and drive to drop and drive... minimal smashing.

15. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

Smash alone won't won a point. Sometime smash is just a tactic to move your opponent away so you have bigger empty space and changes to win a point. But defense from your smash by your opponent will move you around too. :D

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Every rackets will break on hard clashes regardless of what brands. If your friend have their Lining or Victor rackets clashed out as hard as their previous broken Yonex Rackets, they will as well break it.