NEWS : Hendrawan resigns from national badminton squad

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by kwun, Oct 6, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hendrawan resigns from national badminton squad

Sports News - October 04, 2003

Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Prolonged injuries, age and disappointment have forced Olympic badminton silver medalist Hendrawan to make the most difficult decision for any athlete in the world; leave the sport that has catapulted him to glory and fame.

Hendrawan, the 2001 world champion, delivered his resignation to Badminton Association of Indonesia chairman Chairul Tanjung on Friday at around 2 p.m.

"The reason for my resignation is my injuries. Besides, I realize that I have no chance for next year's Olympic Games in Athens. This is the best for me ... and it's the right time," the 31-year-old shuttler said.

Since helping Indonesia retain its title in last year's Thomas Cup men's team event for the 13th time, its fifth consecutive title, by defeating host China at home in Guangzhou, Hendrawan's performance has plunged.

He suffered an injury to his right foot when competing in last year's Singapore Open. Before it had healed he injured his right knee.

Hendrawan's resignation could jeopardize Indonesia's bid to win the cup a 14th time.

"Pak Chairul asked me to stay with the Thomas Cup team and help the association by coaching the juniors ... I haven't given my answer," he said.

Playing a pivotal role in the three previous Thomas Cup events has deterred him from resigning.

"I have always been prepared for the most difficult situation during the Thomas Cup event. If I'm selected to join next year's squad, I will commit. But I need some time to prepare and prove that I can still do that," he said.

"Some officials did not support me because of my poor performance recently. I'm too old ... What's the point of joining a team of other members and officials who are not behind you."

Hendrawan nodded when asked if he was disappointed with the association that did not help him obtain a visa to compete in last month's Dutch Open.

"But that's not a good reason actually ..."

The association will have to find a replacement for Hendrawan as the third single in the squad. Juniors Ardiansyah and Wimpie Mahardi are among the candidates along with Rony Agustinus.

Taufik Hidayat and Sony Dwi Kuncoro will definitely secure the first and second singles positions in the team.

Born in Malang, East Java, on June 27, 1972, Hendrawan joined the national squad in 1993, The father of two managed to grab the 1998 Asian Games silver medal, finished second at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games and won the 2001 World Championships.

With the full support of his wife Silvy Anggraeni, Hendrawan now moves on with his real life as a manager at the Top 1 Oil distribution company.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So another great player is lost. His contribution to the last 3 Thomas Cups were immense...

98 final beat Yong Hock Kin when M'sia had a chance to win by having 3 strong singles players.
    00 final beat Xia Xuan Ze as first singles
    02 final beat Roslin Hashim in the deciding match when the tie was even at 2-2.

some other amazing performances were:
    Beating Gade in the 1998 S'pore Open and 2001 WC final,

Totally outclassing Xia Xuan Ze in the 2000 Olympic s/f. I think Xia said Hendrawan totally broke Xia's rhythm. Hendrawan looked so comfortable in that match.

3. MoS

MoS Regular Member

software
    One of the great stroke players - his game was a joy to behold - I wish somebody compiles a greatest games of Hendrawan DVD !

I treasure his Semi final against Xia in Sydney 2000! and the peter Gade Thomas cup match !

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sad to hear that a player of his caliber resign due to injuries. Great player and full of deceptions. A player feared by many.