User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular Member Cattex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default My Arcsaber i-Slash review

    Thereís been some interest in the Yonex Arcsaber i-Slash and Iíve had the racket for about a week and thought Iíd give people my opinion on it.

    I have extensively used the AS10 and AT700 and it is to these two rackets that I will compare the i-Slash.

    The take home message about this racket should be speed, speed, speed. Itís ludicrously fast compared to the AS10 and AT700. However taming and effectively utilising that speed is very difficult. The small semi-isometric head shape is in part what enables it to be so fast but it is also the thing that makes using that speed so tough.

    Anyone thatís used the z-Slash will probably adjust fairly easily but having used the z-Slash a little myself I would say that the i-Slash is noticeably faster.

    The main problem with this racket is the *combination* of the following:

    1). Itís headlight Ė more so than the AS10
    2). Itís medium flex Ė this is quite noticeable compared to both the AS10 and AT700
    3). Itís got a small sweet spot
    4). Itís extremely fast

    Itís possible to play with the racket at a slower rate to make timing your shots easier. However if you do this you have very little power because itís headlight. If you speed up you can raise the power level but timings are harder. I am not sure how much the medium flex helps or hinders but it seemed to contribute to the general lack of control I felt.

    The AS10 is nearly as fast, has better control, easier timing and substantially more average power. Having said all this the i-Slash is stunning on defence and when you get the timing right the power is there. I just donít see much of a reason to get this over the z-Slash which seems to better in most other respects. The i-Slash is quite good at intercepting at the net though because of itís manoeuvrability Ė itís better than the AS10 and AT700.

    For me I think the i-Slash is too difficult to adjust to and the advantages of doing so donít outweigh the disadvantages. For people who are adjusted to the z-Slash I canít see the i-Slash offering anything of note. I suspect that other headlight rackets are about as fast as the i-Slash but easier to use. It can be very powerful, especially on drives, but this power does not come easily and think that perhaps if it was stiffer this would help. The medium flex helps a little with power on slower swings but this racket is all about swing speed and so I canít help but feel that the medium flex unnecessarily holds it back.

    But this is just my experience and maybe for people with exceptionally fast swing speed it might be a good racket but Iíd suggest such people try the AS10 (or possibly ones of the Nanorays) before the i-Slash.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    AS10 is a shuttle.


    What you say mostly ties in with what PaulStewart had to say. The notable difference being that he said it was much easier to use than the z-slash
    Last edited by amleto; 11-14-2012 at 06:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the review. Sort of confirms my expectations of this racquet in comparison to the z-slash. The Z is already (imo) quite flexible, whilst the material is stiff, the shaft is that little bit longer, allowing it to flex relatively easily. So I personally wouldn't get along with it being any more flexible, it'd be like playing with a fly-squatter.

    It would seem that this is aimed at intermediate level/club players who need some easy to tap power.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Ch1k0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=amleto;2000080]AS10 is a shuttle.What you say mostly ties in with what PaulStewart had to say. The notable difference being that he said it was much easier to use than the z-slash[/QUOTEI think he meant ArcSaber 10 bro

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,210
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ch1k0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    AS10 is a shuttle.What you say mostly ties in with what PaulStewart had to say. The notable difference being that he said it was much easier to use than the z-slash
    I think he meant ArcSaber 10 bro
    I think he knew that, just being facetious.

  6. #6
    Regular Member gundamzaku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    wow, more flexible than the z slash, that's like the arc002 then! i've been waiting for a review, thank you for your post. i have to play with the z slash again to refresh my memory in order to decide whether it's a racket worth getting.

    i was told that yonex will discontinue arcsaber line after this racket, is it true? and if it is, i wonder what the arcsaber replacement will be named? exciting whenever a line discontinued tho i didn't have a chance to buy the arc10 peter edition since i'm a big fan

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,778
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I think he knew that, just being facetious.
    guilty as charged.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Cattex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I think he knew that, just being facetious.
    ha! Yep, I worked that out!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brunei Darussalam
    Posts
    1,633
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gundamzaku View Post
    i was told that yonex will discontinue arcsaber line after this racket, is it true? and if it is, i wonder what the arcsaber replacement will be named? exciting whenever a line discontinued tho i didn't have a chance to buy the arc10 peter edition since i'm a big fan
    Who told you that?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sri Petaling
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cattex View Post
    Thereís been some interest in the Yonex Arcsaber i-Slash and Iíve had the racket for about a week and thought Iíd give people my opinion on it.

    I have extensively used the AS10 and AT700 and it is to these two rackets that I will compare the i-Slash.

    The take home message about this racket should be speed, speed, speed. Itís ludicrously fast compared to the AS10 and AT700. However taming and effectively utilising that speed is very difficult. The small semi-isometric head shape is in part what enables it to be so fast but it is also the thing that makes using that speed so tough.

    Anyone thatís used the z-Slash will probably adjust fairly easily but having used the z-Slash a little myself I would say that the i-Slash is noticeably faster.

    The main problem with this racket is the *combination* of the following:

    1). Itís headlight Ė more so than the AS10
    2). Itís medium flex Ė this is quite noticeable compared to both the AS10 and AT700
    3). Itís got a small sweet spot
    4). Itís extremely fast

    Itís possible to play with the racket at a slower rate to make timing your shots easier. However if you do this you have very little power because itís headlight. If you speed up you can raise the power level but timings are harder. I am not sure how much the medium flex helps or hinders but it seemed to contribute to the general lack of control I felt.

    The AS10 is nearly as fast, has better control, easier timing and substantially more average power. Having said all this the i-Slash is stunning on defence and when you get the timing right the power is there. I just donít see much of a reason to get this over the z-Slash which seems to better in most other respects. The i-Slash is quite good at intercepting at the net though because of itís manoeuvrability Ė itís better than the AS10 and AT700.

    For me I think the i-Slash is too difficult to adjust to and the advantages of doing so donít outweigh the disadvantages. For people who are adjusted to the z-Slash I canít see the i-Slash offering anything of note. I suspect that other headlight rackets are about as fast as the i-Slash but easier to use. It can be very powerful, especially on drives, but this power does not come easily and think that perhaps if it was stiffer this would help. The medium flex helps a little with power on slower swings but this racket is all about swing speed and so I canít help but feel that the medium flex unnecessarily holds it back.

    But this is just my experience and maybe for people with exceptionally fast swing speed it might be a good racket but Iíd suggest such people try the AS10 (or possibly ones of the Nanorays) before the i-Slash.
    Really?i played with my coach's i slash n was able to tame it immediately and loved it.It was sad that not long after that my coach had to leave n took the racket along too

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sri Petaling
    Posts
    28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyonn Loo View Post
    Really?i played with my coach's i slash n was able to tame it immediately and loved it.It was sad that not long after that my coach had to leave n took the racket along too
    And the smash is awesomely powerful as compared to my arcsaber 10.I think i even enjoy smashing with it more so than my vt 80 pg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •