User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as much as i want to see LD in WC 2013, i would prefer if he be there not because of that LYB's 'tactic'. i agree that it would be unfair to the other players who fight for their chances.

btw, can somebody please tell me how to qualify for WC?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has nothing to do with LYB's 'tactic' whatever that means, why be so prejudiced against him?. He's merely thinking of that possibility for BWF's consideration. For someone to even hint that it is akin to bribery is ridiculous and smacks of ill-will. Have you ever heard of anyone openly bribing another and telling the world about it? LYB isn't a moron, his job as Head Coach of CBA is one of the toughest in the world coming from 20 years ago when he first took over the post. That's my main issue with ChongHL, not so much the fairness part which can be debated.

Coming back to the fairness part. Is wild card entry fair? It is meant to enable those who would otherwise never qualify be given a chance to do so in the spirit of the Olympic Games or other reasons as practiced in tennis,for example, as fauci mentioned. In other words,it practises what eaglehelang regarded as preferential treatment, denying many more qualified contestants who worked so hard for it. Furthermore,there is such a thing call 'automatic qualification' in some sports.

Yet,the greatest player on the planet should be denied entry based on a technicality in the rules.I'm not even talking about his contribution to the sport,his iconic status, his superstar value in drawing the crowd. And what about the fact that the world championship should be contested by all the best players in the world as befitting its title? Even Chen Jin who won it in 2010 without beating either Lin Dan or Lee CW can claim legitimacy because these two better players were eliminated by other opponents; LD by Park Sung Hwan and Lee CW by Taufik who was in turn defeated by none other than Chen Jin himself in the final. Simply put, whoever becomes WC in 2013 in the absence of Lin Dan will always have to bear with the retort "that's because Lin Dan didn't play'. If Lin Dan,the 4x WC and 2x OG champ, doesn't deserve to play in the world championship, then who does?

Rules are rules, so we've to stick to it, isn't a good argument. Rules,similarly human laws,are subject to change over time and circumstances as recorded in history. In the past,only men have political rights, women have no sufferage. Worse,in the early days of the founding of the American Republic,for example,only property owners can vote in elections or stand for political office. We aren't referring to the laws of nature, such as gravity, which we cannot do anything about,fair or not fair.

Anyway, there's no need to worry that BWF will bend the rule for him. They didn't when he applied for six-month leave. For those who are thinking BWF might be beholden to CBA,let me disabuse you of it. According to Liu Fengyan,the Head of China Table-Tennis and Badminton Centre, BWF never take into account any proposals or suggestions put up by CBA because they think anything submitted by CHN must be advantageous to her. BWF will only do what is to their benefit,such as the USD5K fine for any withdrawal from SS/PSS events regardless the player is injured or not unless they appear at the tournament venue to do promotional activities for BWF.

Btw,using Lee Hyun-Il as a case in point isn't convincing simply because he isn't Lin Dan. Just as Lee CW's wedding was given national event status and attended by the royalty and other dignitaries - isn't this preferential or special treatment for him based on who he is? Please do not misconstrue my meaning.

I know where you people are coming from. If you don't have any new points to add,let's just agree to disagree, and end the debate here. If anybody else simply wish to argue for argument's sake or want to poke fun and take impish or even wicked pleasure at my expense, I'd advise you to forget your frivolity or ill intention and find something else better to do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would prefer if the players who qualify according to the rules qualified for the next WC. and after then, if LD really don't qualify based on the rules they have, whether BWF will give him wild card to participate (but just an addition to the numbers and not cut down the entry numbers of the players deservedly qualified) or not based on their own considerations will be a different thing.

but next year WC still months away. anything still can happen. LD might change his mind and come back sooner then he said before, who knows? so let's just see what will happen.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    i would prefer if the players who qualify according to the rules qualified for the next WC. and after then, if LD really don't qualify based on the rules they have, whether BWF will give him wild card to participate (but just an addition to the numbers and not cut down the entry numbers of the players deservedly qualified) or not based on their own considerations will be a different thing.

but next year WC still months away. anything still can happen. LD might change his mind and come back sooner then he said before, who knows? so let's just see what will happen.
    First off, sorry for typo error (due to Freudian slip?) - women's suffrage, not sufferage.
    If I understand it correctly,Lin Dan has to play in enough BWF-sanctioned events to qualify,not just based on ranking alone,regardless 50 or 100. Remember Kevin Cordon,the Guatemalan? And the Sri Lankan accidental hero, Niluka Karunaratne,who was given a wild card entry for the LOG?

In some sports, the defending champion has automatic qualification. The World Cup for soccer used to be like that until 2006 because FIFA said 4 years is too long a time for the team to maintain its form;now they are talking about restoring it;Alonso is fighting hard for it(may not materialise). For UEFA,it's still the case.

In Chess,its worse,the defending champion only have to wait for the challenger to emerge who has to play round after round (often grueling matches) to knock out the other candidates all the way to the final. Imagine Lin Dan as defending champion just waiting in the final - that is what you call really unfair, not wild card entry. I rest my case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound like no LD no Badminton. This kind of mind should change.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post

Btw,using Lee Hyun-Il as a case in point isn't convincing simply because he isn't Lin Dan. Just as Lee CW's wedding was given national event status and attended by the royalty and other dignitaries - isn't this preferential or special treatment for him based on who he is? Please do not misconstrue my meaning.

I know where you people are coming from. If you don't have any new points to add,let's just agree to disagree, and end the debate here. If anybody else simply wish to argue for argument's sake or want to poke fun and take impish or even wicked pleasure at my expense, I'd advise you to forget your frivolity or ill intention and find something else better to do.
    <slap head again> What has LCW's personal matter, i.e. his wedding got to do with preferential treatment in badminton? In badminton or squash, no preferential treatment allowed, seriously.

2nd, what preferential treatment? Of course the dignitaries had to be invited if not someone somewhere will be offended, when it comes to big shots it's very sensitive. The Prime Minister's wife must be invited as BAM patron, along with her, of course the PM & other ministers. Invite one, must invite all, whether they want to attend or not up to them.
    The politicians just want political publicity and sponsors who sponsored the clothing,photos and videos just want to promote their products, they just want something. I consider it as a burden for LCW being a sports celebrity, he & more so WMC would prefer not to have this kind of 'preferential treatment', it only benefits others, not LCW.
    This is basic thing, this point of relating personal stuff & work stuff(badminton) should not have even been brought up. Please dont keep saying people misconstrue, this & that, aiyoo.

Well, if want to put like that, nobody can compare with LD cos LD has won many more major titles.LD wants to play WC 2013, work for it like everyone else, work for it like other top players in other sports do. Lin Dan is good enough, he rest 6 months also he can catch up in ranking points, just play more after he comes back. The only drawback I can think of is Chen Jin or other China MS miss out cos of the limit in number of entries for WC 2013.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 11-19-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think out of BOX or think behave like a KING?

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...ports/11343629

LYB never respect BWF and done what in his mind and his way. Get it...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wild card for defending champion also have been aplicated in badminton too, but only in team events like TUC, not individual.

yeah, just wait and see if LD can catch up with the deadline of WC entries. about wildcard, it's all up to BWF. if they think they should give it, then give it. if not, bye bye LD. will miss you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD is thinking whether to retire or not? Dont think he wants to continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought he was thinking of retiring major events after 2012 Olympics? I think i recalled the commentator saying there is another future prodigy to take over his "place" and Lin Dan is going to train him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

retired so soon? with just those titles in his bag? he needs more SS titles and some more titles, at least for me personally.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad's fan View Post
    retired so soon? with just those titles in his bag? he needs more SS titles and some more titles, at least for me personally.
    Whoa, nobody even has half as much and his record already unassailable for maybe 30 - 50 years,you're still not satisfied? How I wish you are Lin Dan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LCW holds more titles, so I'm not exactly sure why you think Lin Dan's (non-existent) record will be unassailable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even so Lin Dan has won more than enough to call it a day on his career. Besides I believe in quality over quantity

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Whoa, nobody even has half as much and his record already unassailable for maybe 30 - 50 years,you're still not satisfied? How I wish you are Lin Dan.
    no, i mean with his capacity, plus hardwork and focus, he still can achieve some more titles. why should he stop when he still can do it? have few more at least better than just enough, right?

but this is just my personal opinion. if LD himself feels satisfied already with his achievements, then it's up to him to start enjoying his living, privacily.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolsticeOfLight View Post
    LCW holds more titles, so I'm not exactly sure why you think Lin Dan's (non-existent) record will be unassailable.
    hmm, i think you are right for one perspective (i.e. SS titles one). indeed, LCW (along with Yu Yang from the last China Open SS result) are the players with the most SS titles in their bag (quoting GC commentatory).

but from the others one, LCW still need at least 2 years to win 1 AG gold medal (not to mention LD have 3, 2 are from team event though), 4 more years to levelized LD's achievement in AE, 5 years to win 4 WC titles (if it still held annually and not bi-annual like rumours said) dan 8 years to win 2 OG golds. maybe in that long range of time LCW will choose to focus on his family and life, and not badminton anymore.

but let's just see what will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolsticeOfLight View Post
    indeed but LCW will always be remembered as the "king of superseries" in like 10-20years from now and thats all he got. but when people starts to talk about legends and record holders for the most major titles, LD will be the one being mentioned. Even lets say, LCW wins the world champ next year, all he gets is 1 or maybe 2?? and who will remember CJ who was also a world champion in 30years time?? So there is always something missing in LCW.. LCW deserves more recognition than this, too bad he happen to be in the same era as LD but we will always remember the matches between them, it brings badminton to a whole new level all the time and i'm glad I had the chance to watch it live!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast