Why is Lin Dan not participating on major events after the Olympics?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by samuelkirk05, Nov 14, 2012.

1. samuelkirk05

samuelkirk05 Regular Member

Student
    Why is Lin Dan not participating on major events after the Olympics?

2. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

because doesnt want to

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    His pockets are so fully loaded with cash that he can hardly walk. :)

4. samuelkirk05

samuelkirk05 Regular Member

Student
    Can he still participate in the super series finals?

5. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

he's on a 6 month sabbatical.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Period of 6 months for him to hardworking making babies:D

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No,he's not. Worse still,he may because of insufficient ranking points and not participating in enough BWF-sanctioned events fail to qualify for next year's World Championship - this is what worries CBA the most. I read that LYB is thinking of working out a deal with BWF to let Lin Dan do promotional activities for BWF in exchange for retaining his ranking points or , alternatively, allow Lin Dan a wild card entry to the WC.

8. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

ah, what a WC without defending champion then. :(

9. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

This is not fair to others player and sound like bribe.

10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

btw, how a player can qualify for WC? just like OG?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? What's your motive for saying that?

Is the BWF regulation requiring a top 10 player, whether injured or not,as long as he/she can walk must be at the tournament venue to do promotional activities for them fair, otherwise a USD5k fine is enforced?

More importantly, why did Dr Kang,the BWF president, plead with Lin Dan not to retire ? And why was he selected as one of the London Olympic Superstars by the LOG even before the games began?

You mean because of a technicality, an artificial ruling, the greatest player on earth should be left out of the World Championship? What's the WC without the best player on earth?

For the Olympic Games, it has been the practice to award wild card entries for athletes who would otherwise never ever get to participate be given a chance to do so, all in the spirit of sportsmanship,participation and universality of the world as one big family, what they call the 'Olympic Spirit'. When a 100+ ranked athlete is entitled to a wild card entry ,why not Lin Dan?

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It does indeed sound unfair to other players. Just because Lin Dan wants to take 6 month break then he gets wild card for WC. If LD is allowed to do promo activities in exchange for ranking points, then all the other top 10 players/pairs will also want to do the same. The greatest player on earth will not have problem to qualify as in dont need a wild card. The wild card are meant for those who if by their own abilities wouldnt have enough ranking points to participate.
    I am surprised LYB is even thinking about working out such a deal just cos LD wants to take 6 month break<slap head>.:eek: Other countries, no way their associations will even try it.
    You may say it's due to LD being 2X OG champ & all, but mainly due to the public outcry that will happen in their own countries. If in Msia, for sure there will be many negative comments towards the assocation if BAM or LCW dare to even ask.

Saina had to pay the USD5k fine even though she was injured.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You misquoted me - it's in exchange for retaining the ranking points, and promoting badminton is what BWF wants most. As the icon of world badminton,who can compare with Lin Dan? Ask Dr Kang and LOCOG. I trust BWF will see the big picture and explore all options objectively and realistically without sectarian interests, nothing amiss for LYB to consider such a possibility - a creative,intelligent,think-out-of-the-box approach, aboveboard;the final decision is BWF's. That's why the Olympic committee come out with the wild card entry, even then ,I read,despite that there are a still number of countries that never take part in any OG; a balance has to be struck and a line drawn somewhere but it's not cast in stone as circumstances change.

For all professional competitive sports, the more so world championships, all the best players in the world should and must be included, for the spectators and the contestants themselves, including big-time sponsors esp, want it that way as befitting the title, its value,status and recognition. Nobody feels proud or satisfied to be world champion without beating the best in the world.

Btw,don't understand what Saina has got to do with it - Wang Xin, Zhong Qianxin also have to pay the fines in spite of severe injury that requires operation.

14. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

As you quoted, it is not fair to other players.

If LD want to take 6 months off, just do it.
    If they worry not enough point, just come out and fight.

There is no such thing like exchange and this is totally not fair to other players who fight like hell just for the ticket to WC.

Get my point or don't?

#14 ChongHL, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Meaning other players have to pay the fines though they were injured and really could not play. Meaning rules are rules.
    BWF cant be bending over backwards just cos it's Lin Dan, then it's not fair to other players who have to fight for the ranking points. Retaining ranking points, still not fair to others who must fight. If other players even as so much as think aloud about of asking(not even ask yet), I'm very sure CBA will complain loudly.

AND if lets say LCW wants to do the same, there will be loud complaints from Msian officials & fans & citiizens, including negative comments like 'Fight for country, want to take holiday, then so proud, ask this & that, go retire lah, dont waste taxpayers money.' Even if LCW has same achievements as Lin Dan as in 2X OG gold,etc, will be same treatment.
    One example is Nicol David, 6 time Squash WC(equal previous record & hope to break it before she retires),17 months of winning streak,one of the best female squash player of all time. Yet, no preferential treatment & no asking for preferential treatment. If one day Nicol David dare to ask for preferential treatment, I will lose some respect of her although she is Msia's sports heroine.
    Same goes for LCW

Lin Dan wants to take break/holiday, then take a holiday. Later come back & win tournaments for the points like everyone else, one of more well known example is LHI. He will be able to participate, just keep to top 24 ranking. No preferential treatment just cos he is 2X OG Gold

#15 eaglehelang, Nov 17, 2012
  16. fauci

fauci Regular Member

If necessary, I hope BWF could give Lin Dan a wild card entry to the WC next year. Such practice is common in tennis tournaments. Rules are set by human beings and could be changed at anytime. Being fair or not is a total subject matter. One could argue that the existing rules were decided to favour some in one way or the other in the first place. BWF should know the values of these superstars to the sport. Without these big names, the events would be super boring. Skillwise, the rest of the ladder remains far behind. Remember the OG 12 women's double bronze medal match? Like it or not, the magician players are the real eye-catchers and you need their presence to excite the audience.

#16 fauci, Nov 17, 2012
  17. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

Rule number 1, If no problem don't change it.

If you talk about the OG Double Women China and Korean playing dirty tactics, yes, this is rule issue and that need to be fix.

If you mean change rule because of someone need to take 6 months off, this is personal or player issue, nothing to do with the rule.

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

as much as i want to see LD in WC 2013, i would prefer if he be there not because of that LYB's 'tactic'. i agree that it would be unfair to the other players who fight for their chances.

btw, can somebody please tell me how to qualify for WC?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It has nothing to do with LYB's 'tactic' whatever that means, why be so prejudiced against him?. He's merely thinking of that possibility for BWF's consideration. For someone to even hint that it is akin to bribery is ridiculous and smacks of ill-will. Have you ever heard of anyone openly bribing another and telling the world about it? LYB isn't a moron, his job as Head Coach of CBA is one of the toughest in the world coming from 20 years ago when he first took over the post. That's my main issue with ChongHL, not so much the fairness part which can be debated.

Coming back to the fairness part. Is wild card entry fair? It is meant to enable those who would otherwise never qualify be given a chance to do so in the spirit of the Olympic Games or other reasons as practiced in tennis,for example, as fauci mentioned. In other words,it practises what eaglehelang regarded as preferential treatment, denying many more qualified contestants who worked so hard for it. Furthermore,there is such a thing call 'automatic qualification' in some sports.

Yet,the greatest player on the planet should be denied entry based on a technicality in the rules.I'm not even talking about his contribution to the sport,his iconic status, his superstar value in drawing the crowd. And what about the fact that the world championship should be contested by all the best players in the world as befitting its title? Even Chen Jin who won it in 2010 without beating either Lin Dan or Lee CW can claim legitimacy because these two better players were eliminated by other opponents; LD by Park Sung Hwan and Lee CW by Taufik who was in turn defeated by none other than Chen Jin himself in the final. Simply put, whoever becomes WC in 2013 in the absence of Lin Dan will always have to bear with the retort "that's because Lin Dan didn't play'. If Lin Dan,the 4x WC and 2x OG champ, doesn't deserve to play in the world championship, then who does?

Rules are rules, so we've to stick to it, isn't a good argument. Rules,similarly human laws,are subject to change over time and circumstances as recorded in history. In the past,only men have political rights, women have no sufferage. Worse,in the early days of the founding of the American Republic,for example,only property owners can vote in elections or stand for political office. We aren't referring to the laws of nature, such as gravity, which we cannot do anything about,fair or not fair.

Anyway, there's no need to worry that BWF will bend the rule for him. They didn't when he applied for six-month leave. For those who are thinking BWF might be beholden to CBA,let me disabuse you of it. According to Liu Fengyan,the Head of China Table-Tennis and Badminton Centre, BWF never take into account any proposals or suggestions put up by CBA because they think anything submitted by CHN must be advantageous to her. BWF will only do what is to their benefit,such as the USD5K fine for any withdrawal from SS/PSS events regardless the player is injured or not unless they appear at the tournament venue to do promotional activities for BWF.

Btw,using Lee Hyun-Il as a case in point isn't convincing simply because he isn't Lin Dan. Just as Lee CW's wedding was given national event status and attended by the royalty and other dignitaries - isn't this preferential or special treatment for him based on who he is? Please do not misconstrue my meaning.

I know where you people are coming from. If you don't have any new points to add,let's just agree to disagree, and end the debate here. If anybody else simply wish to argue for argument's sake or want to poke fun and take impish or even wicked pleasure at my expense, I'd advise you to forget your frivolity or ill intention and find something else better to do.

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i would prefer if the players who qualify according to the rules qualified for the next WC. and after then, if LD really don't qualify based on the rules they have, whether BWF will give him wild card to participate (but just an addition to the numbers and not cut down the entry numbers of the players deservedly qualified) or not based on their own considerations will be a different thing.

but next year WC still months away. anything still can happen. LD might change his mind and come back sooner then he said before, who knows? so let's just see what will happen. ;)